• 7(current)
1080p Mini ITX HD HTPC Solution
pre1014 Wrote:from his flickr page:
"I run Mythbuntu on it and autostart XBMC"

Linux is the ONLY OS that will support hardware acceleration under vdpau. Using any other OS with 1080p will probably result in choppiness with the atom platform.....:confused2:

That is my main HTPC, this HTPC is for my bedroom. It does not run Mythbuntu, it runs XBMCLive. You are spot on about the hardware acceleration.
MacLeod_1980 Wrote:That is my main HTPC, this HTPC is for my bedroom. It does not run Mythbuntu, it runs XBMCLive. You are spot on about the hardware acceleration.

I'm not familiar with Linux, but I can now play 1080p files fine using MPC-HD, but I really wanted to use XBMC. I guess I'll look into Linux. Thank you.
It is really easy to do, and if you search there are lots of guides on how to install xbmc live on a usb - that way you dont really need to mess with linux too much, just for updates.
Hate to bring this thread back to life, but it has a lot of good information.

Unfortunately a lot of the motherboards such as the Gigabyte board are no longer available on Newegg it seems ...

Curious what the "top" mini/micro ATX boards w/ 9300|9400's are?(I'd like to be able to do flash HULU, etc as well)
My current gaming system is already a C2D E6600 w/ 2GB G.Skill Ram and what not, so i was thinking about taking out the E6600 and 2GB of ram and drives and sticking it in a Mini/MicroATX board and running Live when i upgrade to a new I7 machine in a few months...

Will something like the E6600 have enough juice to not have any studdering using even the worst of UI skins?

Something like the ZOTAC GF9300-G-E from Newegg seems like a good board that has everything...

Also to run a Zotac, E6600, and 2-3 harddrives how big of a Power supply am i lookin at? Never really built a small machine with onboard graphics, always big gamign machines with 600W+ PSU's..so seeing these Mini ITX cases with 65-300W power supplies scare me...

Lookin at somethin like the Thermaltake Element Q to put it in...as i can get one fairly cheap locally it seems....
Anybody got any input? :/
FuzzeWuzze Wrote:Anybody got any input? :/

Look at the specs. Hard drives all have different power requirements. Same with motherboards (integrated or otherwise).

I'd bet a 250watt would be plenty for 2-3hds and an Atom board.
I'm using windows xp with a new build of xbmc that DOES support hardware acceleration. I believe it also works in vista and windows 7. read about it and download it here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=61355
MacLeod_1980 Wrote:That is my main HTPC, this HTPC is for my bedroom. It does not run Mythbuntu, it runs XBMCLive. You are spot on about the hardware acceleration.

Just chk XBMC live wiki. THX!
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMC_Live

BTW how to enable the XBMC to display the Audio and Video decoder info? (see pix below)

P.S. I am using...
CPU E4500
RAM 2G
Graphic ATI 3450HD

THX
Does it do full 1080p in Windows with GPU Acceleration? And does it do h264, etc? Sorry for asking here but that thread is 112 pages long and the first few pages people seemed to have problem with x264 which most of my HD videos are in...
FuzzeWuzze Wrote:Does it do full 1080p in Windows with GPU Acceleration? And does it do h264, etc? Sorry for asking here but that thread is 112 pages long and the first few pages people seemed to have problem with x264 which most of my HD videos are in...

I don't think so... If your OS don't installed h.264 codec, it will not play....

I have tried XBMC on my PC (ATI 3450HD) and Notebook (Geforce 7400GO) with similar result:

Window 7: h.264 720p/1080p video playback very smoothly without any problem (using K-Lite codec + MPC-HC)

Win 7 + XBMC = Also very good

Ubuntu: Just like window need to installed h.264 plugin to make XBMC works. Video quality is OK but not acceptable compare with Window side.

Anyway, I am trying XBMC Live CD... as it don't have h.264 plugin... so can't play any h.264 720/1080 mkv file....

Will try to install to USB stick to see any improvement.

* Trying XBMC Live CD with these strange message but it will get into XBMC finally.

pwconv: failed to change the mode of /etc/passwd- to 0600
sudo: unknown user: user
sudo: unknown user: user
yes it will do full 1080p in windows, i'm using the single core acer ion with 1 gig of ram.
Hmmm very nice indeed. I was a tad worried i'd have to use Linux for XBMC...granted i can get my way around it but i always had a ton of issues with Linux and MythTV back in the day getting it to work properly with my MCE keyboard/remote...im sure a lot of that is fixed now but man was it dumb..
FuzzeWuzze Wrote:Does it do full 1080p in Windows with GPU Acceleration? And does it do h264, etc? Sorry for asking here but that thread is 112 pages long and the first few pages people seemed to have problem with x264 which most of my HD videos are in...

Ignore my previous msg. XBMC can playback h.264 720p/1080p.

Window + XBMC:
* Only software decode at this moment.
* ATI / nVidia Cards both works fine.

Linux + XBMC:
* Only latest nVidia graphic can enjoy hardware acceleration (VDPAU). Someone said 8xxx series can enjoy the VDPAU feature, but my 7400GO cannot Sad
* ATI may experience video jutter in fast moving scenes.

If u want your graphic card do the h.264 decode job, must got for XBMC+linux with latest nVidia grahpic card (u need to double chk and make sure what card is able to turn on the VDPAU function).
xbmc works with windows, and yes hardware acceleration, see my previous post for the link. Try it you will like it.
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
1080p Mini ITX HD HTPC Solution0