• 5(current)
1080p Mini ITX HD HTPC Solution
dvined Wrote:Hello Ion Man.
I take, most of these can handle big nice skins for xbmc.

Yes they all can, if you look around on this forum you will find several people using them with XBMC.
You can also use a flash disk or SSD instead of a hard disk with all of them.

dvined Wrote:I read this was very power-use friendly -> ASUS Eee Box B202

Can you recommend some or maybe you've heard something. the article you linked to seems a bit dated on the system Smile

The ASUS Eee Box B202 is unsuitable as it doesn't use an ION GPU, it uses a slow Intel GPU.
If you are looking for something similar then the Asrock ION nettop is probably best (see Nvidia ION overview article).

Why are you saying those articles are dated?
They are very recent, the Nvidia ION overview was last updated on August 17th and the 'best htpc motherboards' article was written on the 3rd of August (see bottom of page).
ion_man, you're a helluva resource for this thread! I'm looking at that LinuxTECH article you posted and am thinking about grabbing the Zotac GF9300-D-E ITX board, and just plopping the Core 2 Duo I've got in my big tower right now into it. I can't see on the spec page if it supports on wake-on-usb or not though, and given all the wake-on-* talk in this thread, I can't seem to find if does or not? Do you know?

It also looks like this one sports an NVIDIA GeForce 9300, and the VDPAU wiki page doesn't seem to support that version? That'd be a bummer (even if the CPU would be able to handle the decode, as I'm using it for now, it would be nice to get VDPAU going). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VDPAU

I'm also now starting to wonder if the flash support is really an issue, and I should just go for an ATOM/ION board...
bbaldino Wrote:ion_man, you're a helluva resource for this thread! I'm looking at that LinuxTECH article you posted and am thinking about grabbing the Zotac GF9300-D-E ITX board, and just plopping the Core 2 Duo I've got in my big tower right now into it. I can't see on the spec page if it supports on wake-on-usb or not though, and given all the wake-on-* talk in this thread, I can't seem to find if does or not? Do you know?
The new Revision 3 of the Zotac GF9300-D-E ITX board supports wake-on-usb (the older revisions not). AFAIK this should be available at retailers very soon now, I'm waiting for it too. The tricky part is no retailers tell you on their web sites which revision they are currently shipping and the only way to tell is to look at the revision printed on the board itself... Sad

bbaldino Wrote:It also looks like this one sports an NVIDIA GeForce 9300, and the VDPAU wiki page doesn't seem to support that version?

The Geforce 9300 most definitely does support VDPAU, all Geforce 8 and 9 (apart from the old 8800) support VDPAU.
(wikipedia isn't always up-to-date or reliable)

bbaldino Wrote:I'm also now starting to wonder if the flash support is really an issue, and I should just go for an ATOM/ION board...

Well, it depends on whether you need full screen Hulu HD support or not, the choice is yours to make! Wink
Purely for XBMC an Atom+ION solution is perfectly fine.
snoxbox Wrote:Personally, I went for XBMC Live. What I did was boot XBMC Live off 1 USB stick, and chose the install method to install to another USB stick. This basically results in XBMCBuntu. Everything is saved as usual. I've since updated to the latest SVN versions of XBMC, updated Nvidia drivers etc.

A friend of mine started in Live, but couldn't get some things working, so ditched it and went for the full ubuntu install. He has all sorts of other problems now.

If you don't know Linux, I'd recommend going Live. You're not losing out on anything XBMC wise by doing it, and it's much easier to get working. Just beware that you cannot just install Live and be done with it. You need to upgrade to a newer version of xbmc to get smooth 1080p playback.

Ok I am having some problems with this specific setup - I am unable to get my wireless working, and when I do,it stops working when I disconnect my Ethernet connection.

Also, when I check the GPU information it says unknown - any advice. Apart from that it is looking good - I have yet to get a remote working on it, or try HD.
MacLeod_1980 Wrote:Ok I am having some problems with this specific setup - I am unable to get my wireless working, and when I do,it stops working when I disconnect my Ethernet connection.
If you are trying this with a full Ubuntu install then you are probably better off asking this on the Ubuntu users forum as you will get more Ubuntu/wireless experts there.

MacLeod_1980 Wrote:Also, when I check the GPU information it says unknown - any advice. Apart from that it is looking good - I have yet to get a remote working on it, or try HD.

Is this with XBMC Live or full Ubuntu? The 'unknown' GPU info means the Nvidia driver you are using is older than the chipset on your board, so it doesn't recognize it. If video playback is working fine anyway then just ignore it, else you would need to update the nvidia drivers.
This is an XBMCLive install. So I guess I just need to add the sources for the restricted drivers?

Anybody have the links off hand?

Also I still have no idea why my wireless is not working, I installed wireless-tools and tried to mess around with the wpa-supplicant. Like I said, when I have the ethernet conneced, I see the wirless connection in my router - with strength and all, but when I remove ethernet, boom - it goes down...

Thanks for your help ion_man
Hey I'm back, just about to buy a Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H, can anyone recommend a CPU heatsink/fan because my CPU (intel e5300) doesn't come with one - it's 'OEM'.
MacLeod_1980 Wrote:This is an XBMCLive install. So I guess I just need to add the sources for the restricted drivers?
Anybody have the links off hand?

Also I still have no idea why my wireless is not working, I installed wireless-tools and tried to mess around with the wpa-supplicant. Like I said, when I have the ethernet conneced, I see the wirless connection in my router - with strength and all, but when I remove ethernet, boom - it goes down...

I'm no Ubuntu user (I use Mandriva Linux) so I can't help you with Ubuntu sources (but yes that would be the way to go to get the newer drivers), but your wireless problem interacting with the ethernet port, I have heard that recently from another Ubuntu user too, I don't know how he solved the issue but as you aren't the only one with it, it might be something well-known on the Ubuntu users forum, so maybe try asking there.
Ok I finally got it all to work.

If followed the guide for installing the latest XBMCLive with NVIDIA driver 185.18.14.

http://www.xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=51782

I then updated everything by logging in to the box using SSH and my ethernet connection, by kinda following this guide http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=54350:

1). ssh into xbmc user account using putty

Code:
username =xbmc
password =xbmc (what ever you choose)

2). add the deb's to the 3rd party sources.list

Code:
sudo pico /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xbmc.org.list

copy and paste these lines

Code:
deb [url]http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc-svn/ppa/ubuntu[/url] jaunty main
deb-src [url]http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc-svn/ppa/ubuntu[/url] jaunty main

save updated list. (press ctrl x, y and then enter)

3). import the GPA key

Code:
sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 64234534

4). create a missing directory

Code:
sudo mkdit /boot/

5). update

Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

Then to get my wireless working I had to install some tools and configure some files.

Install required applications:

Code:
sudo apt-get install network-manager
sudo apt-get install wireless-tools

Configure files:
I kinda followed this guide, http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=263136, but this is what I did:

1) Open a terminal window and type:

Code:
wpa_passphrase your_ssid your_psk

Note: your_ssid is the name of your wireless network (a.k.a. SSID) and your_psk is the password you want to use to protect your network. (Look below for an example).

2) Now copy the psk string you got as output.

3) Type:

Code:
sudo nano /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

Then paste this as follow:

Code:
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
#ap_scan=2

network={
       ssid="your_ssid"
       scan_ssid=1
       proto=WPA RSN
       key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
       pairwise=CCMP TKIP
       group=CCMP TKIP
       psk=your_psk
}

Note: your_psk is the psk string you got from step 1.

Here is an example:

Code:
luca@laptop1:~$ wpa_passphrase mywlan thisisthepassword
network={
        ssid="mywlan"
        #psk="thisisthepassword"
        psk=b22ec921c254c73f99b31b76ff876692ecde36839a1f2d92150829e6afcb5515
}

The psk string is what you have to paste into /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf as your_psk. So you'll have something like this:

Code:
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
#ap_scan=2

network={
       ssid="mywlan"
       scan_ssid=1
       proto=WPA RSN
       key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
       pairwise=CCMP TKIP
       group=CCMP TKIP
       psk=b22ec921c254c73f99b31b76ff876692ecde36839a1f2d92150829e6afcb5515

4) Save the file and close nano.

5) Now we have to make wpa_supplicant load when system boots, so go back to the terminal window and type:

Code:
sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces

6) Add the following lines in the part regarding your wireless card, as in the example below (I removed the w from the guide, didn't like it - not sure what it did anyway):

Code:
pre-up wpa_supplicant -B -Dwext -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
post-down killall -q wpa_supplicant

Note: "wlan0" is your wireless device and "wext" is the driver; this is a kind of generic driver, so it should work with most wireless cards. If it doesn't, please try another driver, such as hostap, ndiswrapper, etc.

Here is an example:

Code:
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wireless-essid my_essid
pre-up wpa_supplicant -B -Dwext -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
post-down killall -q wpa_supplicant

Then I had to rebooted with my ethernet disconnected and all was good.

However I still have a couple of issues, HD playback 720p and up, is not smooth - I don't know if this is cause I am playing it on a non-HD TV and it is downscaling? I would appreciate if someone could provide information about specific configuration/drivers for HD playback.

Also I have noted, when the XBMC box is left untouched for some period - like the screensaver time, the wifi seems to shutoff.... any ideas? I will have to investigate more myself.
ion_man Wrote:The new Revision 3 of the Zotac GF9300-D-E ITX board supports wake-on-usb (the older revisions not). AFAIK this should be available at retailers very soon now, I'm waiting for it too. The tricky part is no retailers tell you on their web sites which revision they are currently shipping and the only way to tell is to look at the revision printed on the board itself... Sad

For anyone waiting (like myself) for the new revision of the Zotac GF9300-D-E ITX board with wake-on-usb, there is some bad news, the wait will still be long! Sad

Quote:The PCB Revision (03 and newer) will be equipped with the following, which are different from the older PCB (00, 01) :
- 3 pcs of onboard SATA port (only 2 pcs on the older PCB)
- Wake Up by USB Device from S3 Suspend mode (not available on the older PCB)
- Dual-Link DVI Port (only Single Link DVI Port on the older PCB)

The new generation PCB (03) will start phase in around OCTOBER

Andrew
ZotacUSA
17921 Rowland St
City of Industry, CA 91748
posted here:
http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=...count=1064

Oh well, me thinks I will have to chose one of the other boards suggested at Linuxtech.net.
ion_man thats not true. I spoke to a Zotac EU rep and they put me in contact with a distributor. They told me they had them in stock now, and they could sell me one there and then, only I decided not to because I still havent decided which to go with.
Kieron Wrote:ion_man thats not true. I spoke to a Zotac EU rep and they put me in contact with a distributor. They told me they had them in stock now, and they could sell me one there and then, only I decided not to because I still havent decided which to go with.

The email I quoted is from Zotac USA, so either the new revision will be available in USA later than in Europe, or one of two Zotac reps (either the American one or the European one you contacted) is mistaken...

Can you name the distributor that claims to have them in stock now?
I'd very happy if you are right!
MacLeod_1980 Wrote:However I still have a couple of issues, HD playback 720p and up, is not smooth - I don't know if this is cause I am playing it on a non-HD TV and it is downscaling? I would appreciate if someone could provide information about specific configuration/drivers for HD playback.

Also I have noted, when the XBMC box is left untouched for some period - like the screensaver time, the wifi seems to shutoff.... any ideas? I will have to investigate more myself.

So has anyone got any ideas about this?
MacLeod_1980 Wrote:So has anyone got any ideas about this?

I think you might get better help with that in a new thread in the general XBMC support section of this forum rather than here buried in a 5 pages long thread in the hardware section.
MacLeod_1980 Wrote:Rather than building you might just plump for this:

ASRock ION 330 NVIDIA ION
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6856158007

pretty much the same thing, more expensive though:
comes with same amount of RAM, no remote, but it does have an optical.

If money is not an object, check out my signature for my main HD HTPC - you can throw anything at it. 1080p Dark Knight plays like a dream on a 52" Samsung.

If you want to go safe you need the CPU, I would say, 2.80GHz min. With that use a decent mb, with integrated graphics. Make sure it has pci express 2.0 x16 (so you are not limited if you chose to get GPU down the line).

RAM should be minimum 2 - infact I have a system running 2, and I dont see issues, it is not my main system so dont watch much HD content on it. I have xbmc on 3 systems; main htpc, desktop, and asus eee pc 1000HE (can't handle 720p up, figure it is GPU and RAM).

The problem with small systems is cases, and PSU.

I did read you can overclock the Zotac, so maybe GUI wont be an issue.

http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/2009/08/05/a...l-package/

MacLeod, this is from early on in the thread, but this solution looks pretty slick...is the only bummer about it the $379 price tag? I wouldn't mind paying a bit more for a pre-built solution, since I'm looking for something with a DVD drive, and this supports wake-on-usb which would be sweet. One thing though, everywhere I see just describe the CPU as "Intel Atom 330 (Dual Core)" ...but what the heck is the speed?

EDIT: I saw in this review that the CPU is 1.6Ghz, but the BIOS supports overclocking it up to 2.1Ghz. I'm not too OC-savvy...is this basically trading an increase in power for a faster speed? Seems like a dual 2.1Ghz should be fast enough to support the skins...I've got an Intel Core 2 Duo running at 2.2Ghz now I believe and haven't seen any issues with XBMC skins.

Just curious if the only drawback of this board is the price, otherwise it seems pretty nice.
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
1080p Mini ITX HD HTPC Solution0