• 6(current)
1080p Mini ITX HD HTPC Solution
bbaldino Wrote:Just curious if the only drawback of this board is the price, otherwise it seems pretty nice.

So far I am pleased with my purchase. Playback of 1080p Dark Night works perfectly. I have had issues with the wifi, I can get out, but not get in. I have yet to setup my remote.

Some people complain that it is not actually that power efficient - but as far as I concerned for a small, quiet HD solution - it works!
MacLeod_1980 Wrote:So far I am pleased with my purchase. Playback of 1080p Dark Night works perfectly. I have had issues with the wifi, I can get out, but not get in. I have yet to setup my remote.

Some people complain that it is not actually that power efficient - but as far as I concerned for a small, quiet HD solution - it works!

Oh cool, I didn't know that you had gone with that solution! Based on your pictures on flickr, it looked like you bought some components and put one together yourself. Awesome! Think I'm gonna pick this one up.
bbaldino Wrote:Oh cool, I didn't know that you had gone with that solution! Based on your pictures on flickr, it looked like you bought some components and put one together yourself. Awesome! Think I'm gonna pick this one up.

Hang on, the HTPC solution on my flickr is my main HTPC/Mythbuntu box. The ION one I have bought and put together, is my bedroom HTPC, very small and satisfies all my needs.
MacLeod_1980 Wrote:Hang on, the HTPC solution on my flickr is my main HTPC/Mythbuntu box. The ION one I have bought and put together, is my bedroom HTPC, very small and satisfies all my needs.

Good stuff...ordered!
I have the same set up let me know what you do with the remote. So far I have had no luck getting the system to see USB MCE reciever
Question 
manderson96 Wrote:I have the same set up let me know what you do with the remote. So far I have had no luck getting the system to see USB MCE reciever

I am exactly the same, the receiver I posted earlier in the forum, I have had no success getting connected.

I have seen some issues with buffering and playback, as well as my general wireless problems, so I think I will go for a wired solution.

The wired solution will also help my remote problems as I have an iPhone, and downloaded XBMC Remote, or whatever it's called. Works like a charm on my Family Room HTPC, so the only reliable solution I can get for my bedroom HTPC is a wired solution with an iPhone remote.

Anyone had any success setting up a remote on XBMC Live?
Wired solution sorted all my playback and remote problems, one of these days I will try getting the remote sorted, but for the moment I am more than happy!
Quick question MacLeod, did you end up having to overclock the atom processor to get smooth playback in 1080p or was it good at 1.6Ghz?
I haven't overclocked mine and haven't seen any issues playing 1080p files yet. I believe I've read a few people tried it and didn't really notice any difference.

I'm curious if it would make the skins a bit snappier though. I do notice some lag using MediaStream.
The playback is fine fr me without overclocking. I can see the point about the GUI, but I just take that as a given - as things progress we may see improvement in this, like custom skins for ION boxes.
So MacLeod, been watching your progress. Could you summarize your parts list? Is it the same as the first post?
tutman2 Wrote:So MacLeod, been watching your progress. Could you summarize your parts list? Is it the same as the first post?

In the end this was my final solution:

CPU & On-board Video:
Zotac IONITX-A-U

RAM:
A-DATA 2x1GB DDR2 800MHz

Remote (not working yet):
Anyware HA-IR01SV

Case:
M350 Universal Mini-ITX

HD (Flash drive)
Patriot Xporter XT Boost 8GB Flash Drive
MacLeod_1980 Wrote:In the end this was my final solution:

CPU & On-board Video:
Zotac IONITX-A-U

RAM:
A-DATA 2x1GB DDR2 800MHz

Remote (not working yet):
Anyware HA-IR01SV

Case:
M350 Universal Mini-ITX

HD (Flash drive)
Patriot Xporter XT Boost 8GB Flash Drive

What OS did you use? I'm trying to use XP and some 1080p files are choppy. Also, I've been trying to play avchd files and they are SLOW.

I pretty much have the same hardware as you except a different case.

Thanks...
from his flickr page:
"I run Mythbuntu on it and autostart XBMC"

Linux is the ONLY OS that will support hardware acceleration under vdpau. Using any other OS with 1080p will probably result in choppiness with the atom platform.....:confused2:
testerg35 Wrote:What OS did you use? I'm trying to use XP and some 1080p files are choppy. Also, I've been trying to play avchd files and they are SLOW.

I pretty much have the same hardware as you except a different case.

Thanks...

Yup I am running XBMC live on the machine, used 2 mem sticks to achieve this. One boots into XBMC live, I then install it on the other with permanent storage. SO I run XBMC Live of of a single flash drive with permanent storage.

You wont get HD good with XP, as you can't enable VDPAU. You must install XBMCLive, or XBMC on a linux installation.
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
1080p Mini ITX HD HTPC Solution0