Dual Boot?
Is there any way to install XBMC as a 2nd operating system on a mac mini? Can it only be installed as an application? Could i use the xbox XBMC disk i have to install it on my mac mini? Even if I can't dual boot it back to Mac OSX i really just want XBMC. Any ideas?
Anemathis Wrote:Is there any way to install XBMC as a 2nd operating system on a mac mini? Can it only be installed as an application? Could i use the xbox XBMC disk i have to install it on my mac mini? Even if I can't dual boot it back to Mac OSX i really just want XBMC. Any ideas?

XBMC is not an operating system, it's an application that runs under an operating system. XBMC comes in three flavors, OSX, Linux and Windows. If your MacMini is an Intel flavor, use bootcamp to create a fat32 windows partition, then install linux or windows (pick your flavor since you did not specify). There are plenty of guides (google for them) about dual booting a Intel MacMini for Windows or Linux. You can even tri-boot Smile
davilla Wrote:XBMC is not an operating system, it's an application that runs under an operating system. XBMC comes in three flavors, OSX, Linux and Windows. If your MacMini is an Intel flavor, use bootcamp to create a fat32 windows partition, then install linux or windows (pick your flavor since you did not specify). There are plenty of guides (google for them) about dual booting a Intel MacMini for Windows or Linux. You can even tri-boot Smile

I guess I wasn't real clear on what i'm looking to do. I was asking if it would be possible to install a version of XBMC for Xbox on to a Mac Mini (intel)? Is it possible or will bits and pieces of it just not work? Are there enough drivers in the Xbox version to support the mac mini? If not, are those drivers attainable? I do believe the Xbox version IS an operating system... however do correct me if i'm mistaken.
Anemathis Wrote:I guess I wasn't real clear on what i'm looking to do. I was asking if it would be possible to install a version of XBMC for Xbox on to a Mac Mini (intel)? Is it possible or will bits and pieces of it just not work? Are there enough drivers in the Xbox version to support the mac mini? If not, are those drivers attainable? I do believe the Xbox version IS an operating system... however do correct me if i'm mistaken.

"XBMC for Xbox", of all the platforms, that is the wrong choice. You keep wanting to force a solution that does not exist. Stop that. Not going to happen Smile A) you need an OS, pick a flavor 1) osx, 2) linux or 3) windows.

If you want to have a solution that is closest to an XBox, go with something like XBMCLive. Personally, I suggest XBMC for Linux and I've already mentioned how to do this.
davilla Wrote:"XBMC for Xbox", of all the platforms, that is the wrong choice. You keep wanting to force a solution that does not exist. Stop that. Not going to happen Smile A) you need an OS, pick a flavor 1) osx, 2) linux or 3) windows.

If you want to have a solution that is closest to an XBox, go with something like XBMCLive. Personally, I suggest XBMC for Linux and I've already mentioned how to do this.

I'm gonna go for XBMCLive. Is it possible to install it to the hard drive? Instead of just using the disk boot everytime?

EDIT: What i'm thinking that I will do is bootcamp my mini. Install a legit windows. Load UBCD and erase and reformat that partition after windows is recognized in bootcamp. boot to XBMCLive, install it. and replace the bootcamp with a 3rd party bootloader so there are no issues. My question now is... If I do all that.... Will i need more drivers for everything to work correctly with the Mac Mini?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Dual Boot?0