Via Epia with Nvidia graphic card, 1080p?
Hi!

I got a VIA EPIA-EN12000EG mini-itx card and I know it got no possibilities what so ever to play or even start XBMC in its vanilla state. Now I'm considering either getting a ASROCK Nettop ION 330 or being cheap and just complement the epia card with a nvidia 8400 PCI card like this.
My question, will I be able to play 1080p mkv (if I run XBMC for ubuntu 9.04) with this cheap card? My understanding is that the cpu should be quite ok with the VDPAU thingie going Nerd
It could well work, there are reports of people that have used that a PCI 8400GS on old Pentium III PCs successfully with XBMC.
I have that card and tried to use it on a 12 year old Pentium MMX-233 (just for the challenge Big Grin) but the BIOS failed to recognize it as a graphics card. I managed to boot in a dual graphics card setup along an old ATI card and Linux was actually able to see the 8400GSGS but then I had trouble with the PSU (only 200Watts nominal probably much less real power, not ATX but AT so can't replace it easily) flaking out so I gave up.

Anyway, as long as your PSU is powerful enough and the BIOS recognizes the card then it should work.
Thanks for you answer and the tip about the PSU. This might be a problem. I'm quite sure the bios will recognize the card. The Asrock is a sure bet but 5-6 times more expensive ...
EDIT: No it didn't get recognized. A warning to anyone thinking about doing the same. Go for a Zotac Ion instead Big Grin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Via Epia with Nvidia graphic card, 1080p?0