S/PDIF sound issue with ASRock IONSTAR 330
Hi all I have a small sound issue with my ASrock Ionstar that I can't seem to fix. I know there's a number of people with this deivece on the forum so I was wondering if any one could help.

Here's the issue at the moment I have S/PDIF Digital In working but the connection between my IONSTAR and AMP seems to be constantly opening and closing. Basically after any audio starts playing it takes about one-two second before I can hear it from my speakers. This means that I can not hear any menu navigation sounds as the're shorter then the 1 second needed for the AMP register audio. I have come to the conclusion that this is a problem with either the drivers or the OS. I have installed XBMC under windows 7 and navigation sounds worked perfectly. Any help would be ace Nod
Actually, it may be a problem with pulseaudio.

You can try to remove pulseaudio: sudo apt-get remove pulseaudio*

As well as libpulseaudio-dev I think.

Then recompile XBMC and see if that solves it.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Also there is additional info posted by althekiller about similar symptoms here:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=56313
Doesn't seem to be a problem with Pulse audio I completely removed Pulse and still have the same issue. I have also just updated ALSA which didn't help. Guess this isn't a problem I'm going to be able to fix, looks like it's an bug in ALSA will have to report it and hope one day it gets fixed.
Quote:This means that I can not hear any menu navigation sounds
It is working with my asrock ION 330 and my amp (NAD).

Have you tried:
Quote:Create a file in home directory:
nano .asoundrc

Add:
his means that I can not hear any menu navigation

pcm.!default {
type plug
slave {
pcm "hdmi"
}
}
vikjon0 Wrote:It is working with my asrock ION 330 and my amp (NAD).

Have you tried:

That seems to be instructions for fixing HDMI. My issue is with S/PDIF Digital In Huh
I just installed my asrock with minimal ubuntu. havent done anything else than update alsa. s/pdif works like a charm.
Quote:hat seems to be instructions for fixing HDMI. My issue is with S/PDIF Digital In

Sorry, you need to replace hdmi with iec958 or hw:0,1

Blittan: What is your setting in xbmc to get navigation sound without .asoundrc?
Do you get spikes/shutter in sound when e.g. switching between two mp3s?
EDIT: Come to think about it... I am not 100% sure I tested without .asoundrc since I upgraded alsa...

I am using this files for the moment and I have navigation sounds and smother transitions between mp3s:

Quote:pcm.!default {
type plug
slave.pcm "dmixer"
}

pcm.dsp0 {
type plug
slave.pcm "dmixer"
}
pcm.dmixer {
type dmix
ipc_key 1024
slave {
pcm "hw:0,1"
period_time 0
period_size 1024
buffer_size 8192
#periods 128
rate 44100
}
bindings {
0 0
1 1
}
}
ctl.mixer0 {
type hw
card 0
}
Audio output device: default
Passthrough output device: iec958

No spikes or wierdness.
blittan Wrote:Audio output device: default
Passthrough output device: iec958

No spikes or wierdness.

What settings are you using for the player?

Do you use sync playback to display and if so with what settings?

Adjust refresh rate?

24p?

Do you have a custom xorg.conf?
My issue is with all system sounds not just XBMC. Thanks for all the tips so far but nothing seems to have fixed it going to try updating the BIOS tonight, can't really think of anything else.

@blittan - Could you post a screen of sound settings within Linux, pretty please. Have you removed pulse audio?

I just found this which basically describes exactly what's happening on my machine https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-b...hp?id=4441 (you might have to click the guest logging option.)
poserdonut Wrote:What settings are you using for the player?
Do you use sync playback to display and if so with what settings?
Adjust refresh rate?
24p?
Do you have a custom xorg.conf?
No adjust refresh rate.
1360x768@50hz
No custom xorg.conf

Screenshot of settings.

No pulseaudio installed, used a minimal ubuntu installation for this. Dedicated HTPC.
I have now tested with your settings and yes it works fine.
The nav sound is working and the shutter/spikes in music is gone.
(I have svn from a few days ago and alsa 1.0.20)

The only problem is that when if I play with high volume and press stop or anothr track there is a clip sound in the speakers that doesn't sound too healthy. I think the amplifier are also supposed to block that...but I think it the problem is less with the dmix.
If you are hearing clicking/clipping sound, then you are probably using an older version of XBMC.

But, I can only guess without the required details.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I am on r22097 (11 aug)

It has definitly improved since the last time I tested!

I am not sure in what terms to describe the difference.. Before it was un-controlled disturbance shutter/spikes when changing tracks. Now it is only a small clip like if the amp should cut the power to the speakers a little bit smoother. It is not really a problem since I don't normally play with very high volume changing track every 10s Smile

I tested with the DVD player (NAD) and it does not do the same. It is not on toslink though, but on some other digital coax thingie.

EDIT: Will upgrade to todays SVN asap.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
S/PDIF sound issue with ASRock IONSTAR 3300