Where does the meta data from media come from
In library mode I see by some movies the container information like 1080P, H.264, DTS, etc. I'm wondering where this is comming from. First I thought from the filename (like Appaloosa.2008.1080p.BluRay.DTS.x264), but that doesn't seems to be it. I've got two movies with the same format one is showing this info, the other not...
I've googled and searched the wiki + forum but I can't find it. Must be using the wrong search syntax Huh
It's a rather new feature were we while scanning detirmines the source, so if the video is in 1080p it gets flagged as such. if the audio is AC3 decoded it gets flagged as such.

Cheers,
Tobias.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Well, great feature!
No wonder I couldn't find anything about it...
Can I manually alter the behaviour?
Allmost every movie file posted on usenet has this info in the filename.
Would be great is there was an option to read also the filename for this info as the current method only reads 2 out of 10 files.

Should I post this in Feature Requests?
But the Source comes still from the filename.
So there have to be: BluRay, SDDVD, HDDVD.
Frozone Wrote:But the Source comes still from the filename.

that greatly depends on the skin you use
Frozone Wrote:But the Source comes still from the filename.

I don't understand you. Huh
What ik mean is, the file name can give a lot of info e.g. "HDMovie2.2008.1080p.BluRay.DTS.x264", this in combination with an actual Media read (like de tool MediaInfo) can give a complete summary.
Jezz_X Wrote:that greatly depends on the skin you use

So can u explain, please?
SubSense Wrote:I don't understand you. Huh
What ik mean is, the file name can give a lot of info e.g. "HDMovie2.2008.1080p.BluRay.DTS.x264", this in combination with an actual Media read (like de tool MediaInfo) can give a complete summary.

OK, here is how it works.....

XBMC can deduce MOST of the information from the actual video file... i.e. the resolution, the codec, the audio type etc. Instead of reading this from the fileNAME (or folder name), it gets it right from the video file... the RIGHT way to do it.

However, it's impossible for XBMC to know the 'source' of the video (i.e. where it was ripped from). A movie at say 576x480 might have actually come from a DVD, a TV recording, even a blu-ray disc (downscaled) or from Youtube (upscaled). For this reason, XBMC is FORCED to get the info from the filename.
(There is an argument that XBMC could take an accurate guess, and make some assumptions on the possible source... but for the moment, it likes to work with facts rather than supposition!).

Please note also, that this is a relatively new feature of XBMC. For a long time, XBMC couldnt read the info directly from the file, so read all info from the filename. This is why some users who've been away for a while get confused.
Frozone Wrote:So can u explain, please?

A skin shows 'DVD' or 'BluRay' etc based on the filename (or foldername) of the movie (actually I think it's based on the entire pathname). If the name contains the string 'DVD' it shows the DVD icon / flag.

Not all skins do this... it's a "hack". Some behave nicely and ONLY get media information from the XBMC engine, some misbehave and parse the pathname to figure it out, and some simply don't care so don't display anything.
SubSense Wrote:Well, great feature!

only reads 2 out of 10 files.

Not sure if it helps or not, but I've found that the Media Info is only displayed in my skin (I use PM3.HD) after I've actually played the video (even if only for a second or two).

When you say it only reads 2 out of 10 files, are the bad '8' files that you've not actually 'played' of late?
enable extraction in video settings...

flags are extracted from the media by xbmc
spiff Wrote:enable extraction in video settings...

flags are extracted from the media by xbmc

Brilliant : I'd never noticed this setting before. I also stumbled upon the option to automatically create episode thumbs when TVDB doesn't have any itself. I'm still impressed by XBMC's continually growing set of rich features! Thank you all

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Where does the meta data from media come from0