1080p unwatchable on Asrock ION 330
Hi

I have attempted to watch a 1080p movie this morning however there is continual on/off buffering, audio drops, stuttering making it unwatchable. Can anyone advise as to what the problem may be?

As mentioned this is on an Asrock Ion 330, using XBMC r22133. VDPAU is on, other processing under player settings is "Adjust refresh rate" and "sync playback to display/Audio clock". Screen resolution is set to "default:1920x1080 @ 24.00Hz"

Audio output is digital (dolby and dts switched off). Output device is plug:hdmi, passthrough device hdmi and downmix is switch on.

The film is being streamed over a wired network using devlo dlan highspeed ethernet plugs (they show to be conecting around 74-77Mbps).

I have switched on debug logging and played the first few minutes of the film where the problems occurs a few times for example;

debug log is posted here: http://pastebin.com/md51a86c

If there is anything else I can provide to help identify the cause please let me know.

Thanks.
Ok first, play that video, pause it, press 'o' and see what the fps is, from what I can tell adjust refreshrate isn't working properly.

Second, try playing a file on a local disk, those powerline network things aren't know for their excellent reliability.
I'm just curious here, is there a message that lets the user know that there is something similar to a buffer under run? So the user might know that this is occurring when there is a problem getting the file?

Maybe it's in a debug log?
Thanks bobo1on1, I have paused the film and the FPS when paused goes up to 50, its 24 whilst playing. Does that seem right? The screen resolution was supposed to be 1920x1080 @ 24Hz so shouldn't the FPS remain 24? Additional from the Video Information screen "Screen Resolution: 1920x1080 default:1920x1080 @ 24.00Hz 50.00Hz"??

I have also downloaded a BRRip version of this film and played it from the same location and plays absolutely fine. I am currently ftp'ing the 1080p version over to the hard drive of the Asrock to play it locally, so will report back on that in a couple of hours! Also when this is done I will switch off the adjust framerate and see if that makes any difference too.

@ Maxim whilst the film is playing it will pause itself and a dialog will pop up telling you that it is buffering with %age done until it is good to go again, if that is what you meant?
sp10 Wrote:Thanks bobo1on1, I have paused the film and the FPS when paused goes up to 50, its 24 whilst playing. Does that seem right? The screen resolution was supposed to be 1920x1080 @ 24Hz so shouldn't the FPS remain 24? Additional from the Video Information screen "Screen Resolution: 1920x1080 default:1920x1080 @ 24.00Hz 50.00Hz"??

Like I said, it doesn't work.
I don't know how to fix it but playing 24 fps at 50 hertz is a bit of a disaster.
Right have tried playing the film back from the local hard drive and it plays absolutely perfectly.

I have also tried switching off "adjust frame rate" and replayed the film over the network and it still isn't happy.

So whilst I agree that the frame rate issue may be contributing I think it is a network issue. Equally as I mentioned previously the "scaled down" BRRip version plays perfectly across the network.

What bandwidth does a 1080p film require then? I have played back the film and monitored the homeplugs with devolo informer and they sit at a constant 74Mbps.

Is it still possible to increase the network buffer now that those option have gone from settings?
the movie that you are trying to play requires atleast 15mbit throughput. and at peaks even higher.
  • Livingroom - C2D E8400, P5N7A-VM on a Samsung 46" LE46M86 FullHD via HDMI
  • Kitchen - ASRock 330 HT Displayed on a Samsung Lapfit 22" dual touch screen LD220Z
  • Bedroom - LG Laptop on a 32" tv
Good odds the connection is dirty like wifi. You may get some great speed, but that doesn't mean all of those packets are good. Many probably get resent.
those Ethernet over power adapters suck, throw them away and run that Ethernet cord. I have a bunch of the EoP adapters and they suck.
If it takes several hours to copy across the file to the local drive then I have to say that you are clearly running up against bandwidth limits. If it takes 2 hours to copy a film that is less than 2 hours then it clearly isnt going to stream over your network.
The film is a 1080p blu-ray rip, the file size is 10.92Gb. The file transfer rate was around 1.7-1.8MB/s. That didn't seem too bad to me?
Of course it is bad!
sp10 Wrote:The film is a 1080p blu-ray rip, the file size is 10.92Gb. The file transfer rate was around 1.7-1.8MB/s. That didn't seem too bad to me?

thats closer to dvd bitrates than blu-ray. You are never going to successfully stream high def at those speeds
when transferring all my 1080p movies to my nas(dns323).. it transfers at 10mb/s is that fast enough to stream? im having the same problem as OP. it buffers every 5 seconds, thinking of getting a gigabit switch, will this fix my problem? currently the nas is connected to my wl520gu asus router, as well as my asrock ion 330.
If they play fine locally, but buffer when playing over the network then it's safe to assume its the network.

A gigabit switch certainly isn't going to hurt you, and it'd give you benefits in other uses, especially since you're using NAS. I'd say go for it...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
1080p unwatchable on Asrock ION 3300