• 12(current)
Script to Download, Install and Update Git-hosted Aeon Showmix/Auriga/Hitched
I'm not totally sure if I should be simply replying to this thread or posting a new thread - let me know what the 'protocol' is please Laugh

To keep it short, any skins installed using this mod crash XBMC to the command line randomly. Usually within a minute or so of XBMC starting up (or the skin being selected from within XBMC itself).

Is this a problem anyone has been having? I tried searching but I'm not able to guess the correct search string!

I'm a bit of a Linux newbie so any suggestions as to how I can determine the cause (and hence solution) of this problem would be appreciated.

Cheers.

- Matt.

EDIT: I have installed the latest nVidia drivers to no effect. I have noticed that it only crashes out when I actually do something. If I select a skin and it crashes, the next time I load XBMC up and dont touch it, it runs fine. But as soon as I select a sub menu to go into (say movies) it crashes. Sometimes it makes it to the next screen - but any button press could kill it.

EDIT Number 2: I went through the debug log as suggested in another section and the last error I get before it crashes is thus:
Quote:ERROR: Texture manager unable to load file: special://profile/Thumbnails/Video/Fanart/2aeea33e.tbn

Any suggestions? I have NFI what that means. I'm assuming something is missing. But why?
Anyone? I've got no reply on either thread so I'm not sure if my query is in the right place Sad

It's weird that it's only happening to skins installed through this script. Manually installed skins work without an issue. I'm using this script because I thought it would make things simple! I might have to figure out how to install phil65s mod on my own now...
i downloaded the phil65 package, and when i use this script to update, first of all it throws the aeon65 in the xbmc root c:\xbmc\aeon65, + it changes the whole skin and doesn't seem like it's updaing simply redownloading something else... any 1 ?
arik4k Wrote:i downloaded the phil65 package, and when i use this script to update, first of all it throws the aeon65 in the xbmc root c:\xbmc\aeon65, + it changes the whole skin and doesn't seem like it's updaing simply redownloading something else... any 1 ?

No one seems to want to respond to this thread at the moment....I'm no pro but I'll take a stab and ask if you have configured the asmconfig.sh (or .bat - depends on your system) file correctly. It sounds like you havn;t specified the path under step 1 correctly. It should read something like:

/usr/share/xbmc/skin

Try that and see what happens.
The script seems to be working to git and install to the user-defined area (for me it was ~/.xbmc/skin but the skins are still not recognized in XBMC.) Why is this?

-Hans
Well, I had to reinstall XBMC on my MAC and unfortunately I'm no progrmmer to figure out how to install something that I used to be able to...

I installed GIT, then that ASM thing and nothing. Errors and more errors, pretty much the same as a lot of other users are replicating here and having no sucess on having them solved.

Is there anyway I can get a .dmg file with aeon skin? I really don't care to have it updates automatically the minute you guys do some changes, because between having anything or nothing at all, I chose anything...

Thank you.
hansoffate Wrote:The script seems to be working to git and install to the user-defined area (for me it was ~/.xbmc/skin but the skins are still not recognized in XBMC.) Why is this?

-Hans

I am also having this issue. hopefully someone is still around to help answer this question?
ringemaster Wrote:I am also having this issue. hopefully someone is still around to help answer this question?

same here
after updating my 2 month old installation only the standard skin is selectable.
the other skin folders arre still there but i cant select them inside xbmc.
wat's the clue Wink?
New versions of XBMC have changed how skins are handled. They are now put in the addons folder and need an addons.xml file (plus they need to be compatible and some aren't). Alaska Revisited is compatible and there are a couple of skins (including a basic version of Aeon) over at sshcs but that's it for the moment apart from Confluence. They'll likely all be updated to work with 10.5 soon...
Panasonic 50V10 , 360 Elite, Astro A40s, Senn HD595s, Acer Revo R3610 (XBMC Alaska), Denon 1800BD, Denon 2309, Monitor Audio Bronze, SKY+HD (1TB), Harmony One, QED HDMI, Silver Anniversary XT, Soundstyle ST310, Sony AR51SU, Panasonic LX3, HTC Desire.
Only 'Aeon Showmix' is getting downloaded when i try this.
This script is no longer functioning properly. It's also no longer compatible with recent builds of XBMC. I wish people would read the thread a bit before posting OMG it doesn't work...

Yes it's difficult, yes it's a PITA, yes you really need to decide if this is worth your time to figure out as simply whining that "it's too hard/fix it" will not get you help, nor what you really want.

You can however:
1) Use a direct http link to download your chosen skin from github. (e.g. Aeon65): https://github.com/pix/aeon/zipball/master
2) Unzip the files into this directory (e.g. windows): C:\Program Files\XBMC\addons\skin.aeon65

From there, you will have your skin. That is really so much easier than how they want you to do it. Personally, I think github has hideous user-friendliness. Who really wants to install 3 extra applications just to freaking download a program/skin/whatever??! Every github project I use has the same ridiculous set of instructions. Users are not programmers! K.I.S.S. I don't really understand why people use it over Source Forge, but I'm not really a "Social Coder" either. /rant
you're right, but back in the days Aeon65 had more than 20 enhancements/fixes a day. To download the ENTIRE skin for that seems a bit extreme (or to download the skin few times a day to keep up with the latest changes). I followed the tutorial and I managed to download the skin using this script (modified files only) and I'm not a programmer either.
I agree, but you're assuming that users will want to update everyday. If it's a killer app in alpha (e.g. sickbeard) I can understand the use case, but for a skin? I'm not making the case against using that update method entirely, just that there should be simpler (i.e. less steps, less programs) to downloading and using the skin as well, especially if you just want to try it out. ASMupdate was definitely a step in the right direction, but I think a better way of handling it would be a process within XBMC for retrieving skins from a single repository of stable skins. Maybe even a mod within XBMC itself to handle updating the main program as well as the skins.

Right now, the Aeon skin & forum is *so* crowded with different versions/flavors, it's prohibitively difficult for the casual user to navigate. Prior to yesterday I had been using Stark for over a year because it was the first one I downloaded (there are 3 stickies dedicated to Stark/Auriga), and it wasn't clear what the different versions of Aeon did. I tried showmix, but it didn't suit my tastes, so I was stuck using a pretty, but partially non-function skin. It worked well, but I've been running into some limitations, particularly with XBMC forward compatibility. I could have used Aeon65, but therein again, it was an overly complicated process that proved to be a barrier to using it. At that point, I just wanted XBMC to "work" so I could get the wife off my back.

These different Aeon based skins (aeon65, showmix, etc), should *really* be forked into their own subforums, and given more individualized names for easier identification, download, and support. Djh stopped development of Aeon a long time ago. There's no reason why at this point atleast 65 & Showmix can't stand on their own.
In addition to the link (above) left by the DarkKnight... Once you get the zip file. You can add it via the add-on panel within the xbmc app (System settings / Addons). This will place the zipped package and the unzipped contents in the /users/username/Library/Application Support/XBMC and /addons directory.

The last piece of the puzzle is to rename the skin folder in the addon folder to the proper format:

skin.skin-name

I named the folder: skin.aeon

Once that's done, you will be able to select it in the Appearance/Skin selector. I did my best with the whole git thing but in the end it was easier to download the skin package and figure out what was missing in order to get it to work.
DarkKnight Wrote:You can however:
1) Use a direct http link to download your chosen skin from github. (e.g. Aeon65): https://github.com/pix/aeon/zipball/master
2) Unzip the files into this directory (e.g. windows): C:\Program Files\XBMC\addons\skin.aeon65

This worked for me, after nearly 8 hours of screwing around with different advices. This comment, alone, should be stickied.

On a side note, it would be cool if there was a repository the Skin Installer in XBMC could tie into for third-party, compatible add-ons.

Anyway, thanks DarkKnight for your helpful comment.
  • 12(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Script to Download, Install and Update Git-hosted Aeon Showmix/Auriga/Hitched1