Which CPU/GPU should i buy for my htpc
Hello Forum,

i´m new here and my english is not so good - Sorry for that.
I´m using actual XBMC release on Ubuntu Jaunty.

The htpc is connected via
DVI to a 24´´ Samsung PC TFT Monitor.
Everything works nice.

I´m using ASROCK N68PV-GS Mainboard (AM2+) with Onboard GeForce 7050, 1GB of RAM and Sempron LE-1250 CPU.

I can play 720p Content only sometimes with some stuttering (not everytime - depends on movie.) 1080p playback is impossible.

Now i want to upgrade my hardware so that i´m able to play 720p.

I think that upgrading to Athlon 5050e + PCIe GeForce 9400GT would be ok for 720p. Or makes it more sense to buy a new mainboard with VDPAU Graphics Onboard for that price.

I´m not so familiar with this htpc stuff yet. Just startet 2 weeks befor building my htpc Smile

funnybox
I'd suggest a Athlon II X2 240 cpu (the 5050e is now outdated 65nm technology) and the 9400GT graphics card.
This will give you smooth 1080p playback with VDPAU.

Just make sure that the BIOS supports the new Athlon II (you might need to upgrade it, check Asrock website).

There is no need to throw away a working motherboard!
If you're going to upgrade your video card and use VDPAU with the Linux branch, you shouldn't need to upgrade your CPU at all. (unless you just want the new low-power processor)

A forum member on here had 1080p video playing on a Pentium III 600 Mhz using VDPAU and a PCI 8400 GS video card.

That's what's so great about HW acceleration Smile
Okay, sounds good Smile
But i have a few more questions:

- Does VDPAU accelerate 720p and XVid/DivX too or only 1080p ?

I can got an Athlon X2 4850e (2 x 2,5 GHz) from one of my friends for some beers Nod
So i´m going to "buy" this CPU from him and add passive cooled Geforce 9400GT to my System.

- Or can i buy a Geforce 8xxx too? Is the 9400GT better in VDPAU things than a 8XXX ? Because 8XXX Cards are ultimately cheap now and have also HDMI

- Is 1GB of 667 MHz DDR2 RAM ok for my System or should i upgrade it to 2GB ? - I´m using full Ubuntu Jaunty Desktop installation because JDownloader and some other Desktop software.

Greetings,
funnybox
funnybox2006 Wrote:Okay, sounds good Smile

- Does VDPAU accelerate 720p and XVid/DivX too or only 1080p ?

both 720p and 1080p

- Or can i buy a Geforce 8xxx too? Is the 9400GT better in VDPAU things than a 8XXX ? Because 8XXX Cards are ultimately cheap now and have also HDMI

A Geforce 8 is ok too (not the 8800 !), but chose one with 512MB, there are performance advantages compared to 256MB for VDPAU

- Is 1GB of 667 MHz DDR2 RAM ok for my System or should i upgrade it to 2GB ? - I´m using full Ubuntu Jaunty Desktop installation because JDownloader and some other Desktop software.

1GB is ok with Linux as you are not using an on-board GPU therefore you are not using shared video RAM anymore.

replies in red in-line.
Thank you guys so far...
I got the Athlon X2 4850e from my friend this evening. I installed it immediately and now i can play any 720p without any stuttering.

My LCD TV in the livingroom only supports 720p via DVI to HDMI adaptor and separate audio connector. Can i although play 1080p Material on this TV (does xbmc in this case downscale the video)? I want to know this because if it is impossible to play 1080p on that TV i haven´t to buy a new graphic card...720p works fine for me now.
Yes it will definitely play the 1080p at 720p if you select to output at 720p.

And listen to ion_man, you can get an 8400 but make sure to get the 512MB version.

good luck,

-Wes

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which CPU/GPU should i buy for my htpc0