"Place Shifting" add player + transcode streaming to web server interface & JSON API?
Well it doesn't appear to be transrating over upnp like i thought it would.. It takes about 20-30 seconds to buffer then after a few seconds ot a couple minutes it starts having cache issues (cycles 2-3 seconds then continues to play then cycles 2-3 seconds). When played from the mycast.orb.com website it streams prefect with only a 2 second buffer... Any ideas? Reason i want to use xbmc is because it organizes the data so much better, and for times like this (mycast.orb.com website seems to be done)
I would like to see On-The-Fly A/V Transcoding added to xbmc http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_...diaServers
Lightbulb 
Hi there, yesterday I had an idea. What, if someone added a flash-based video player to the web frontend of XBMC? That way, all computers of a given network could play all the videos of a given server easily.

There's a couple of solutions available just waiting to be integrated, one I found is http://www.longtailvideo.com/players/jw-flv-player/ . If this works out, everyone using XBMC could potentially have his/her own "Youtube" with a XBMC backend. This would also be nice for older computers which are unable to run the XBMC frontend.
I doubt this is something we will have in default web frontend, however when we merge in jsonrpc it will be easy to add a second web frontend that could do this I bet.

Cheers,
Tobias
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Question 
Hi all,

First of, excuse my ignorance. I've been using XBMX on my Windows 7 machine for quite some time now, and I am very happy with it. I also have an iPhone, so using the Remote and Streamer app works great.

I am very impressed with the Streamer app available for the iPhone. It works very well and I listen to tunes over 3G or at a friends place using their wireless. I obviously have my router setup to allow access to port 8000 on my XBMC machine.

So my question is, can I stream my music library to another desktop PC over the web? Since it can be done using the streamer iPhone app, there must be a way to do it on a desktop PC as well.

I've searched and searched and found nothing. Using keywords like "Streaming media over web xbmx" doesn't really return the results I'm looking for.

Any input would be greatly appriciated as I would love to have access to my library everywhere I go (whether it's on my iPhone, or on a desktop PC).
Isn't it crazy how awesome iPhone/Pad related streaming services are? Personally I have not only wanted musical streaming over the internet, put also video streaming ala the iPhone's Air Video app.

What I have found is that unless you want to setup a real server (aka have a static IP and work away around your firewall yourself unlike Air Video which does it automagically), the options are limited. Windows Media Player (plus maybe the official divx pluggin) is the best I could find for music/video streaming to a laptop:

http://www.7tutorials.com/streaming-your...r-internet
With the new webserver xbmc is capable of allowing streaming simply. Since I'm no good in webpage coding I can't hook up it but I think html5 should be able to do it. I will add transcoding aswell so we could in theory serve to more or less whatever, but transcoding won't be added until at earliest camelot+2 though.

Basically do: http://IP:PORT/vfs/url_encoded_path_to_file

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Basically I was asking if it's possible to stream my music collection using the XBMC webserver over the web. I already know XBMC can stream straight from the webserver it has built-in to the application as the iPhone app Streamer does this without any modifications to the XBMC installation - so it must be possible. I was just simply asking if anyone has accomplished it. Perhaps I will take my question over to the Streamer for iPhone forums as they have already accomplished this on the iPhone.

Orb is a great service, but it had many limitations. Plus I have to depend on their service.
It is possible, camelot and older uses base64 for the data, newer server which will be avaliable with camelot+1 and newer will have support for non-base64 encoded.

Short story, you can just point to a the URL as I suggested in my previous post. Hopefully alot of clients will take advantage of this (android and so on).

Cheers,
Tobias

Lightbulb 
I tried a search to see if this was asked already; it didnt seem to be.

Given that Plex can send video from the mac running plex over to an iphone, is there any chance this can become a plugin for XBMC Dharma ?

There's many ways this could operate, and I dont know the best one. Here's one way though: I'm watching something on XBMC, I launch the app on the iphone and the images I'm seeing on the TV screen from the XBMC computer are shown in realtime on the iphone, with audio. The iphone app would be configured to know where the XBMC installation is, the XBMC installation runs a listener waiting for an iphone connection, and when it gets the request, it fires up a transcoding thread and sends the data.

The other way is to allow the phone to browse and play media on demand, independently of what the XBMC installation may be doing at the time.

I'm not saying it's easy and I'm not saying I can do it, but I am saying that I'd pay for that app on the iPhone.

The plex app is $5 already, I honestly think that I'd pay double that for either of the functions I just described. XBMC is free, and that makes it more wonderful than it already is, but if anyone closely involved in the project wants to monetise it without upsetting people, this could be a great way to go about it.

In fact, perhaps anyone who would join me in paying ten dollars for an app that worked as I said, or that worked better, would say so here, then those 'pledged' amounts would soon add up. Sooner or later that pot of money may just become too large to resist; hell, I may even learn to code in C to take it myself!

If it's already been done, or if I'm out of line here, then I apologise, I just feel that XBMC is the father project of Plex and Boxee and Plex potentially has one-up on it here.
that the mediaserver which encode the video, not the plex client!
I'm not sure I understand, I think you are pointing out that the bulk of the code lives on the mac for plex, and that the iphone app is a dumb client. If so, then I agree - the iphone app in these instances wont be doing much, it's just a window to the stream...

which would likely mean that the plugin would need to encrypt the data stream to protect the revenue stream (which would be a sucky solution) or use a non standard format (which would be patched/cracked in like 0 seconds), or.....

oh, yeah. Fair point. If the plugin was open source, which it may need to be, then the iphone app could charge whatever it wanted and not make much money because anyone could write a compatible receiver for free.

Well, this is why it's hard to make money in open source! Before someone attacks me on this, yes - I know it's not about the money, I get that, but everyone needs to eat, right?

So - politics of free software aside, is my dream even possible?

I think it would come down to raw horsepower on the media center side, if you have a full 1080p file that needs live transcoding and streaming its going to need a very strong CPU to do it. There are apps that do this already, but I've not found anything that I'd actually call "good" or even useful.
A much better solution is to:

1. Write a UPnP server that transcodes - there are numerous ones already available, so you don't even have to do this bit unless you want to improve features.
2. Write a UPnP client for the iPhone/Pad. I'd be surprised if there wasn't one already available.

Known standard. Clients can be made for anything. Not limited to just your server necessarily. Price is irrelevant - you're competing based on which is the most useful product. There's no reason at all for the server part to be closed source in any way whatsoever.

Cheers,
Jonathan

http://olimsoft.wordpress.com/2010/07/20...eipodipad/

This might work. Even mentions support for XBMC's UPNP Server, and supports AVI & MKV.

I'll try it when I get home tonight!
if you want to stream video from your pc or mac to your iphone look up " AirVideo " in the app store. There is a small download for you pc or mac that runs the services to stream. It will convert almost any type of video on the fly and play it on your iphone. Oh and it's only 2.99 in the app store Smile
-----------------------------------------------------------

website

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"Place Shifting" add player + transcode streaming to web server interface & JSON API?0