"Place Shifting" add player + transcode streaming to web server interface & JSON API?
imageblur Wrote:if you want to stream video from your pc or mac to your iphone look up " AirVideo " in the app store. There is a small download for you pc or mac that runs the services to stream. It will convert almost any type of video on the fly and play it on your iphone. Oh and it's only 2.99 in the app store Smile

Or ZumoCast, can stream movies and music to your iphone, also to a web browser and it is free.
Tonido offers iPod/Phone and android stream support as well.

Audio works great but I haven't seen how well it does with video content yet.
Avigrace Wrote:Or ZumoCast, can stream movies and music to your iphone, also to a web browser and it is free.

Any experience with this? Any security concerns?
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
steve1977 Wrote:Any experience with this? Any security concerns?

There are always security concerns when you punch a hole in your firewall.
davilla Wrote:There are always security concerns when you punch a hole in your firewall.

possible to use only with internal network over wlan (similar to airvideo)? is everything running over zumocast servers or directly device-to-device?
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
MrButtons454 Wrote:http://olimsoft.wordpress.com/2010/07/20...eipodipad/

This might work. Even mentions support for XBMC's UPNP Server, and supports AVI & MKV.

I'll try it when I get home tonight!

I did get around to purchasing it. Works great with XBMC's UPNP server. No transcoding needed, plays my AVIs and MKVs fine. The 720p/1080p stuff is choppy, though. Tested on an iPad.
Interesting, I've tried AirVideo before and thought it was awful, it took ages to start to stream a file, put a huge load on the computer running the server and I didnt like the external connection requirement.

I have just tried AirPlayer though, and this is an interesting one; initaial testing shows that it works, I'm running 3GS and the framerate on standard def video isnt full, but the audio and video is in sync, it's watchable.
I dont think I understand how it's doing what it does, as it seems to be sending the video to the phone without a transcoding step, but I'm happy that it's doing it. Hopefully it'll run better on the iphone 4 when apple finally get around to making the white one.

The only thing I'd like on top of this, is for the app on the phone to be aware of the last played position on the xbmc, so you could stop a film on the big screen, fire it up on the iphone while you go to the kitchen to make snacks, and then continue on the tv when you're ready, but using the scrubber bars to get the right place isnt too much effort anyway.
Lightbulb 
XBMC's webserver allows you to browse your library from an Android phone or a normal webclient like Firefox, IE & Safari.

Could 'WebM' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebM) be the way to also display the content as well, but more importantly of course, are the developers of XBMC willing to add this as it's not rendering anymore for a display?

With such a feature XBMC would be the centre of all your multimedia content.
Lightbulb 
This doesn't appear to exist currently and I think is a must-have feature. I would like to be able to access my XBMC web-interface from a browser at work, browse my music library, create playlists, and stream the music from my XBMC box via http so that I can listen at work. Basically what XBMC Streamer iPhone app does, but do it from a Webbrowser rather than mobile device. It would simply be a webpage added to the default webinterface like XWMM, but be strictly for streaming playback over the web. This way you can listen to your music wherever you are (as long as you have access to the bandwidth and a browser). I have considered trying to develop this, but my web programming skills are not so good these days. Is there anything around like this? Anybody interested and working with me to develop this? If there is interest, I can create some mockups for the interace. I'm not that much good for the web coding though.

-hogfan
Lightbulb 
This doesn't appear to exist currently and I think is a must-have feature. I would like to be able to access my XBMC web-interface from a browser at work, browse my music library, create playlists, and stream the music from my XBMC box via http so that I can listen at work. Basically what XBMC Streamer iPhone app does, but do it from a Webbrowser rather than mobile device. It would simply be a webpage added to the default webinterface like XWMM, but be strictly for streaming playback over the web. This way you can listen to your music wherever you are (as long as you have access to the bandwidth and a browser). I have considered trying to develop this, but my web programming skills are not so good these days. Is there anything around like this? Anybody interested and working with me to develop this? If there is interest, I can create some mockups for the interace. I'm not that much good for the web coding though.

-hogfan
Question 
I hate to be "that guy" asking stupid questions, but I really can't think of a reason this hasn't been done yet.

I've seen the XBMC android remote and the UI is amazing! Now, instead of playing the video on the TV, wouldn't it be possible to program it to stream the video to the android device itself? I'm pretty sure android can do video streaming can't it?
EDIT: OK I missread you...

Well streaming is possible, problem is transcoding. You don't want to send 1080p stuff to the device. It should be possible but lacks stuff in xbmc.

Patches welcomed though.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Lightbulb 
I really enjoy the ability to control XBMC from the web manager or from my android phone.

Howevere it would be great if I could get the media playing to actually play locally. This may be quite difficult for movies but the principal would be easy for music.

Other programs such have Sockso and subsonic have managed this but it would be great if it were intergrated into XBMC.
Huh? I think you need to define locally.

If you start playback via the webinterface it will surely start playback locally in xbmc...
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Sorry, as in play the media in the web interface so that I can go to a computer elsewhere in the world and access by always on XBMC's content.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"Place Shifting" add player + transcode streaming to web server interface & JSON API?0