Whats the deal with HDMI video cards?
Is there some trick? It seems that most require an audio card to use as a pass-through, but I cant seem to get mine to work.

At one point, I was able to get it to work, but only in XBMC, it would not work in Windows. And it would only work full screen XBMC at 640x480 resolution, anything higher and the audio would stop playing.

Did I buy the wrong HDMI cables or something?

Fresh install of Windows XP MCE 2005 (32bit), ATI HD 4350 using an ASUS M2NPV-VM with has a Envy24 AD1986A audio built in (supports spdif). All the latest drivers.
*shakes the new Team XBMC magic eight ball*
Sometimes when I had hardware issues I'd try one driver version down from the newest. Sometimes bleeding edge isn't always the best.

So I'd try another driver or another app to see if your problem persists.
I thought xbmc was not too good with ATI cards Thats why i went the nvidia route and i have had no trouble using hdmi or audio with XBMCSmile
XBMC Frodo 12 - Windows 7 - Asrock Ion 330HT - Aeon Nox
kinison Wrote:At one point, I was able to get it to work, but only in XBMC, it would not work in Windows. .

This sentence confuses me. Isn't XBMC in Windows?
You haven't supplied much information (debug log etc.) but here's some info that might help re: your hardware.

Your ATI card does not require passthrough from a soundcard for audio via HDMI. The card has sound onboard. In theory all you need to do is make sure you have all the right drivers installed and the correct sound device selected in windows - and you're laughing.

Also: please note your mobo has onboard nvida video and onboard sound (as you noted) - if your going to be using the ATI card then disable both onboard sound and video in the BIOS to avoid any confusion in windows about which device it should use.

hth
Hando Wrote:You haven't supplied much information (debug log etc.) but here's some info that might help re: your hardware.

Your ATI card does not require passthrough from a soundcard for audio via HDMI. The card has sound onboard. In theory all you need to do is make sure you have all the right drivers installed and the correct sound device selected in windows - and you're laughing.

Also: please note your mobo has onboard nvida video and onboard sound (as you noted) - if your going to be using the ATI card then disable both onboard sound and video in the BIOS to avoid any confusion in windows about which device it should use.

hth

Pretty sure it does. While you do not need to connect a ribbon cable from the sound card to the video card, the video card does not contain an audio chipset. On board video and audio were always disabled.

Ive looked at MANY video cards with HDMI output, reading the user reviews, most instruct the user to avoid this if using it for audio and video output as it will not work by default.

So I should change my question. Which video cards do support HDMI Audio & Video without the need of a passthrough? IE: which one actually has the audio chipset built into the card?

As far as the ATI card goes, works fine on the latest build. In fact, video works better than the DVI output using the nVidia 8400 series card built into my motherboard. In windows, I can actually see the start button, where previously, I had no options to stretch or re-fit the desktop to fit my Toshiba HDTV.

Same card, audio doesnt appear to work for alot of people. Tech support ultimately could not resolve the issue.

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.c...word1=hdmi

While the issue was resolved for this person, it requires a special HDMI to DVI dongle attached (which did not come with my card), that and the step by step instructions do not match my system (I have MCE, not Vista or XP).

http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=27269

So im kinda at a loss, not sure which card to buy. The one I have now, was a cheap experiment, only costing me 35$.
paul Wrote:I thought xbmc was not too good with ATI cards Thats why i went the nvidia route and i have had no trouble using hdmi or audio with XBMCSmile

Ahh ok, i'll consider buying an nVidia card with HDMI. What model of card did you buy? I just need a cheap 50$ card to use for SD/HD playback only, no games.
kinison Wrote:Pretty sure it does. While you do not need to connect a ribbon cable from the sound card to the video card, the video card does not contain an audio chipset.

Actually - it does. It's a realtek chipset

I run an HD 3870 with audio and video thru HDMI on winxp and it's working perfectly - my memory is hazy but I think I had to install the audio drivers directly from realtek site rather than ATI though.

Your card should do all you want it to - I'd try a bit more fiddling before binning it.
You have to download the audio drivers separetely from ATi's website as they dont come as part of the video drivers or catalyst control centre. Once installed you have to go to the windows sound settings in control panel & set the Realtek HDA HDMI audio out as default. There are also some settings to change in XBMC. These are what work for me for both a HD 3300 & HD 4550:

Set Audio Output to digital
Turn off Dolby Digital (AC3) capable receiver
Turn off DTS Capable Receiver
Change the audio option to Realtek HDA HDMI out

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Whats the deal with HDMI video cards?0