[LINUX] Nvidia ION HDMI Passthrough issues
Hi.
I've got problems getting xbmc to send the 'unmodified' sound through hdmi to my Sony STR-DG910 Amp. While searching the forum and reading through several related threads i stumbled over this thread which helped me setting the alsa speaker test straight (last post on page2, thank you Pico), still it didn't help me with the sound issue in xbmc. Slightly modified route in .asoundrc:

Code:
pcm.hdmi2 {
type route
slave.pcm hdmi
slave.channels 6
ttable.0.0 1
ttable.1.1 1
ttable.2.4 1
ttable.3.5 1
ttable.4.2 1
ttable.5.3 1
}

aplay -Dhdmi SURROUNDTEST_DD_640.wav (Dolby) / SURROUNDTEST_011212.wav (DTS) works.
mplayer -ao alsa:device=hdmi -ac hwdts/hwac3 ... also works, amp lights up and display what kind of stream it's receiving for example DTS-ES Matrix.

Unfortunately it does not work in xbmc, dts contents will not output any sound at all and run the video in x2 speed and ac3/DD5.1 contents will light up the amp light, however it does not detect what kind of stream it is, it just sends it to all speakers as PCM 48. If I use plug:hdmi2 in both audio device and passthrough device, everything plays fine but as PCM 48, no surround sound. I've tried numerous configs and been googling my head off trying to solve this.

here's a pastebin from the xbmc.log while trying first ac3 material and then dts:
http://pastebin.com/m6ace6675

I'm running ubuntu 9.04 (2.6.28-11-generic) 32bit, xbmc-svn (tried stable aswell, but same results), Alsa 1.0.20 on a Acer Revo, Nvidia ION with an Atom 230 cpu.
lspci:
Code:
00:08.0 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP79 High Definition Audio (rev b1)
aplay -L:
Code:
front:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC662 rev1 Analog
    Front speakers
surround40:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
surround41:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround50:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
surround51:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround71:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, NVIDIA HDMI
    HDMI Audio Output
null
    Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)

Am i doing something wrong? If so, what? Smile

Best regards.
Hi @all,
i've the same problem, with an Gigabyte E7AUM-DS2H (Nvidia 9400), but with spdif out (I think hdmi too, but not tested).

aplay works fine and play dts test samples over the iec958 device, but with XBMC only stereo sounds playing and with DTS and AC3 movies, they are playing with 2x speed and no sound.

I'm using XBMC (latest svn) and alsa 1.0.20.

My configuration worked befor an kernel and xbmc update Confused (never change a running system)
Maybe this?
http://www.xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=56664
Thank you vikjon0,
that solved my problem.
For anyone else having these problems, move back a few svn versions (i moved back to 22240 on my previous htpc i ran 21118, which also worked). This is what i did:

Code:
# sudo apt-get remove xbmc
# sudo apt-get build-dep xbmc
# cd ~
# svn co -r 22240 https://xbmc.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/xbmc/branches/linuxport/XBMC XBMC
At last, REAL digital passthrough with hdmi and no resampling or stereo sound sent to all speakers, phew!

Thanks again.
You boys have saved me. Thank you very much.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Nvidia ION HDMI Passthrough issues0