Can I display Prepackaged Powerpoints in XBMC
Good afternoon,

As I have posted previously I am in the process of testing XBMC as a Media Front end for a school. All the media to be displayed, photographs, video and music are currently stored on a freenas machine with the idea being that each department has their own Freenas to store just their own media.

Everything is working perfectly at this point in testing, with live in school testing to start in one department this week. To really sell the idea to the school (heads of departments/faculty's and principal) as some investment in hardware is required, the ability to play self contained powerpoints and the like would make XBMC almost perfect for our requirements.

The question is, can anyone do this currently or think of a way it could be done?

The machines using the front end will be predominately windows with a couple of MACs just to mix things up.

XBMC is a fantastic looking product that is working well out of the box, the ability to play from .iso and being cross platform are the 2 major selling points for me so far.
Quote:the ability to play self contained powerpoints

Not sure what you mean by 'self contained'.

Try looking for the launcher plugin & use powerpoint viewer (and whatever is available for mac). I've never used the launcher plugin myself, so I'm not sure if you'd need a separate plugin to actually browse the powerpoint files or not.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search and search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please read how to submit a proper bug report.

If you're interested in writing addons for xbmc, read docs and how-to for plugins and scripts ||| http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-addons/
Cheers I will look into the launcher,

by self contained, I mean you can save powerpoints into a format that isa standalone file that doesn't launch powerpoint, you can't edit the file directly and it contains all added music and such.

Okay win7 isn't helping much but thats alright as mine is the only computer in the school running win7. I can't get the launcher plugin to launch a shortcut to the viewer as the application itself is in a hidden folder apparently which xbmc can not see ... sigh as the launcher and viewer combination would be ideal for what I need as it launches powerpoints in a not editable form, as in straight to the show, as well as packaged powerpoints so perfect, now to get launcher to talk to it
settings>appearance>view options>show hidden files & dirs
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search and search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please read how to submit a proper bug report.

If you're interested in writing addons for xbmc, read docs and how-to for plugins and scripts ||| http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-addons/
Got it working, seems to crash occasionaly

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can I display Prepackaged Powerpoints in XBMC0