XBMC on PPC with HD content
Hi there.

OK so here is the deal. I want to buy a Mac to use it only as a Media Center computer with XBMC.

First, the Mac Mini (Intel). Ok it's a really small computer, but the problem is the hard drive. Too small. The only solution is using external hard drives.
I was ready to buy one, but a friend of mine is ready to sell me his PowerMac G5. It's a 2x2GHZ, 4GB RAM, 9800Pro graphic card, Wifi and Bluetooth, for 500 euros, cheaper than the Mac Mini.

Is this computer can handle 1080p HD content, without any lags ?

PS : Excuse me for my english, i hope you understood me...
no way
Ok, i'am little surprised about that, but anyway, i think i will go for the Mac Mini + external hard drives.
I use XBMC on that exact machine (Power Mac G5 Dual 2 GHz). I watch most everything in 720p HD and it works great--it doesn't even crank up the fans.

I don't know that I've ever tried 1080p since almost all HD files are 720p (I believe iTunes HD is 720p as well). But I think 1080p would work fine although I can't guarantee it. I can tell you that 720p works perfectly--no skips, no problems.

--
Brett
Can you go on the Apple website to watch a 1080p trailer ?
Thanks.
I'll try it when I get home tonight and see how it looks.

--
Brett
Those trailers are NOT indicative of an actual 1080p movie. They're at a much lower bitrate to alleviate internet latencies.
Yeah, I imagine streaming trailers are not going to be like watching Blu-ray.

I don't know if you are a videophile or not, but you may not be able to tell the difference between 720p and 1080p. It depends on the display itself, display size, how far you sit from it, and whether you are a videophile. I mostly watch 720p on my 42" Toshiba sitting about 10 feet away. When I put in a 1080p Blu-ray, I can hardly tell a difference. If I had a 50+" display and I was sitting 6-8 feet away, I may be able to tell the difference. Like I said, there are several factors that would determine whether you could tell the difference, but it's possible you may not.

--
Brett

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC on PPC with HD content0