VOB - Ripping & Adding to Database
I am trying to figure out the best way to rip a dvd. Currently I've been using Ripit4me which seems to work well.

How do I catalogue VOB files within XBMC so that I can play them as one film rather several files. I've read somewhere that you can use nfo files. How is this done? I'd like the films to play as though they're divx files within aeon with the art work and relevant film information.

Sorry if this isn't the right place to post - I know that aeon users are all sorting out they're film databases.

Thanks in advance.
I will buy you a virtual beer if you help me sort out this remote...
ill suggest ripping dvds with http://www.makemkv.com/ youll get a single .mkv file which should be easy to handle! regarding nfo files : http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Import_-_Exp..._nfo_Files
use google to search tutorials
I was in the same boat you are in a week ago, heres what I did it may not be the best solution but it seems ok for me.

I used handbrake to crush my movies down with h.264 codec for video and straight ac3 audio with a mkv container. I have been constantly encoding videos since.

I have 5 computers encoding day and night and should be done within the week. A fairly recently built computer can usually encode a movie in about a hour assuming two pass encoding.

Frankly the video files look amazing in terms of quality and audio is spot on. I know it takes longer to re-encode a movie but it saves a ton of space with not too much quality loss. a 1.5 gig file as opposed to roughly 8 gigs of vob files.

Like I said prob not the best solution, but if you have a large movie collection and want maximum movies on a drive then you cant beat a mkv re-encode. You just have to invest a little time.
Great - good ideas thanks.

I've tried MakeMKV - though the file outputs as 8gb in size. My external network drive doesn't support files any larger than 4gb.

For Handbrake - what settings are using is there a automated script available.

Thanks

Rob
Just trying handbrake - it's taking 1hr 55 just to encode. Though my computer is 5 years old....

I guess I could rip a film every night. Though I have 300+ films in my collection.
Now using makemkv with another storage device. Working really well with no delay when starting up file on XBMC.

Weired Situation

I have created 2 folders "mkv" for films and mkvtv" for tv

XBMC catalogues the films from mkv 1 for films though doesn't fo it correctly for the TV series - any ideas?
Rob the settings I use are as follows, each is a tab that corresponds with handbrake and if I didn't mention it I left it as default.

First I loaded the basic/normal preset, there are a list of them to the right just double click the normal preset and change a few things.

-First click source in the upper left corner and pick your dvd or ripped dvd.
-Second right under that is destination, browse to where you want to save it, name it something and make it a .mkv.
-Third output settings make sure the drop down box says mkv file. (it should be mkv already because you set it as a .mkv when you named it above)
-Fourth, check the tabs and ensure they are set as below.

Picture settings:
Crop-Automatic, Anamorphic-Strict, Deinterlace-Fast

Video:
Video Codec-H.264, Advanced Encoding Settings-(2-Pass Encoding & Turbo first Pass)

Audio & Subtitles:
click on 1 and choose the 5.1 or 2.0 ac3 audio stream, select the ac3 audio codec right next to it and your set. If you want more audio streams just go to 2 and select more audio and make it ac3. (sometimes I like to add directors comments)

On a side note if you select subtitles it will be permanently embedded into the video. On the rare occasion I select automatic for subtitles and click forced subtitle only just in case there is some random subbing to be done.

There is a way to rip the sub titles out of a dvd and mux them back into the .mkv file so that you can turn them on and off like a dvd, but I have yet to get them to have proper timing.

As for a automated script I am uncertain as I have never looked into it. I do however use my own preset so I don't have to redo all the settings I mentioned. Just get everything set the way you like it and click the 'add' button under the preset column to the right. When you pop a new movie in or restart handbrake all you have to do is double click your preset. You do have to always set your audio stream, but thats due to every dvd having a different audio stream setup.

Hope it helps.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
VOB - Ripping & Adding to Database0