help: ram usage problem
i wrote this short testing script. it works good and shows this slideshow endlessly.

Code:
import xbmcgui, threading, os, time

class test(xbmcgui.WindowDialog):
  def __init__(self):
    self.pic=xbmcgui.ControlImage(0,0,1200,800,"")
    self.addControl(self.pic)
    self.restart()

def restart(self):
    self.Thread=threading.Thread(group=None,target=self.loop,name=None,args=(),kwargs={})
    self.Thread.start()

def loop(self):
    self.imageNames=[]
    for item in os.listdir("/home/gigi/Bilder"):
      if item[-4:] == ".jpg" or item[-4:] == ".png":
        self.imageNames.append(item)

for i in range(len(self.imageNames)):
      self.pic.setImage(os.path.join("special://home", "..", "Bilder", self.imageNames[i]))
      time.sleep(5)
    self.restart()

mydisplay=test()
mydisplay.doModal()
del mydisplay

the problem with it is that the ram space xbmc uses gets bigger and bigger... endlessly. I'm using ubuntu hardy 8.04.

EDIT: Updated Script Code
The image is probably not being free'd. Check the python interfaces - I think it's in window.cpp, somewhere under xbmc/lib/libPython
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Why not create a single ControlImage and change the image every 5 seconds using ControlImage.setImage()?
See http://xbmc.sourceforge.net/python-docs/...ntrolImage

Also might be a good idea to use os.path.join and one of the special paths instead of concatenating the paths yourself, as that might not work on anything else but Unixes:

Code:
os.path.join("special://home", "Bilder", self.imageNames[i])

See
http://www.xbmc.org/wiki/?title=Special_protocol
http://python.org/doc/2.4/lib/module-os.path.html
@jmarshall: I'm sorry but I'm not able to handle with c++. it would be great if you could give me instructions how to solve my problem with c++. (if it's even possible)

@Dan Dare: I tried it with .setImage() but the ram usage problem is the same. thank you for the idea with specialpaths/path.join. see updated script code above.
Is it just me or are you starting too many threads? To me it looks like its going __init__ > restart() > new thread > loop > restart > new thread > etc...

If you want the slideshow to run indefinite, why not wrap the the for() with a while (True) loop?

Btw, why are you using threads? Is it because you plan to add some Cancel button to stop the slideshow or something like that?
yeah you're right. one thread would be enough. this slideshow will be just a small part of a screen design. it must be manageable by an other module, so I need threading to start and stop several modules at the same time.
Good job - keep a hold of them threads or they're going to crash very quickly on Xboxes :-)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
help: ram usage problem0