Requesting IR Reciever suggestions for a small case
Folks,

Need some advice here from fellow system builders... Nerd

I am leaning to a Zotac board once the new bios is available in the USA... Zotac at NewEgg

I plan on building a diskless system, using XBMC Live on a USB Pen Drive, mounted internally. (My media is server based, so no local storage necessary).

I'm a big fan of "cheap", so I am looking at a low priced case that looks good on the shelf (as an audio component) and still delivers a bang for my buck (1080p via HDMI & DTS Audio via Optical out).

So, I am considering this one: Snazzy Cheap Black Case

Now, that footprint is about the same, if not smaller of the old XBOX system.

So far, so good.

Here is my issue: IR Receiver

How can I fit a USB driven IR reciever into this thing, without attaching something to the top?

I have seen many solutions that are sold for Microsoft that come with a remote that either fit into a 5 1/2" drive bay, or sit on top of the system.

The issue with this case is it only has a "slim" optical bay (which I will not be using for an optical drive) and no other bay available to me.

AND... I do not need a remote control, as I have two Harmony's already (H One and H 1000)

I ask the wisdom of the web here:

Is there an IR reciever that I can...

1. Build into a slim bay, or
  2. Already comes in a slim bay configuration,
  3. or connects directly to the front external USB port, hopefully smaller than the old Microsoft IR Reciever dongle (like the new Bluetooth USB dongles that are available for Laptops).
Thought? Ideas? Ridicule? Anybody allready solved this one? Huh

I appreciate it all.

Thanks,

V.
doesn't look like you have to many options with that case, there are no bays in front to mount anything externally visible.

If you want a cheap solution and don't mind a little modding and maybe soldering, then try this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...0344913543

Open the case, put the circuit board inside, perhaps it will fit in the front of the case, drill a hole in the case so that the IR receiver can see. Otherwise, unsolder the IR receiver, add wires from receiver conveniently located on outside of your case and the board. Keep wires short as possible.
wstewart,

I was thinking that might the the case, in this "case".

I did the IR Mod in my XBOX, so... this might be the thing to do.

I could yank the whole slim optical drive cover off, replace it with a translucent cover and mount behind (as large as that HP IR is)

That could be OK for the black one, but would look less than first cabin on the silver case. (I would build one of each)

Saw this one as well: Slim PC USB IR Receiver

Which is smaller in size, and I might be able to pop out one of the front USB ports on the case, and slip this in and through (with a bit of convincing).

Of couse, the HP IR you suggest says all the right things (Harmony, media center, etc), and the other, not so much info.

Just saw this one as well... Blue IR Dongle... but DAMN! that's an ugly piece of tech.

Yep, yep, yep...

Still, open to other ideas as well.

v.
Ya but you don't need to take up your hole optical drive area. The actual ir receiver on the HP PCB is smaller than your pinky. Just need a hole big enough for it to see through. You don't need the whole HP PCB to be visible. The bigger the hole, the wider your field-of-view and thus off center IR range, but thats it. I am suggesting to take the HP PCB out of the case. If your willing to solder you could remove the IR receiver chip (three pins I think to solder) and locate the PCB somewhere else and just put the small IR chip on the outside of your case.

I bought one of those on ebay they work great.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Requesting IR Reciever suggestions for a small case0