Does it make sense to buy the Asrock 330 Ion with a blueray drive?
Hi all,

I'll buy an Asrock nettop pretty soon. Not sure if with or without blue-ray drive though. The plan is to run my box with Ubuntu linux.

Now my question: Does it make sense to buy the blue-ray version?

I mean, xbmc for linux can't play blue-ray I've read. But then again I could rip them, huh? Does it work on linux? I see makemkv is available for linux, too. So it's possible to rip blue-rays on linux, right? Good or bad idea? Thanks for help guys!
I u plan to build a Win-XBMC with external players, then yes there some users here wo got BlueRay runing. But a lot of tweaking...
On Linux BR is not working. As the ION are for XBMC and Linux (VDPAU), I think is waste of money.
You can back-up Blurays to hard disk with Linux using DVDFab running under Wine, and then play the back-up from hard disk, so it can make sense buying a Bluray version even with Linux.
Just don't expect to be able to put the Bluray in the drive and play it straight off the drive.
I should have said that I don't want to play blue-ray from the drive.

The idea is to play all media from an external hd or over the network. So my question is more like: is it easy to rip blue-rays on linux or too much hassle? I haven't got a blue-ray drive yet and I thought the extra money for the blue-ray upgrade for the asrock might be worth it...

ion_man Wrote:You can back-up Blurays to hard disk with Linux using DVDFab running under Wine, and then play the back-up from hard disk, so it can make sense buying a Bluray version even with Linux.

Uhm, interesting. So this is a better solution than the linux version of makemkv? How big is such a rip? 1:1? So, like...30GB?! After that, is it possible to make it smaller and convert it to another format? With linux apps/scripts or sth?

ion_man Wrote:Just don't expect to be able to put the Bluray in the drive and play it straight off the drive.

Yeah, that's not what I'm expecting. I'm not planning on playing blue-ray straight off the drive.

Thanks for help guys!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Does it make sense to buy the Asrock 330 Ion with a blueray drive?0