Poll: DVD-remote or Controller - which one do you use to control XBMC?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
DVD-remote only (95% of time)
50.00%
Controller only (95% of time)
50.00%
Little bit of both plus other.
0%
Total
2 vote(s)
100%
* You voted for this item.

DVD-Remote or Game-Controller
thought this could be an interseting fact to establish when working on features for xbmc and thinking about usability.
Information 
for reference, see here what people voted back in the xbmp days => http://www.xboxmediaplayer.de/cgi-bin....;t=4903
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
i used to only use the dvd remote, but reciently, i've picked up the logitech wireless controller.
its about 50/50 now, if i'm closer to the remote, i'll use that, otherwise controller :d
where's the mouse option :p ??
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

well, i've disconnected both of my controllers so most of the time i'm using the remote Smile. also the playback functions are
easier to command on the remote than on the controller
(jmarshall @ sep. 09 2004,15:04 Wrote:where's the mouse option :p ??
since mouse isn't toooo common yet amongst users it was included in the "plus others" (didn't expect me to bother answering that huh? :p )
remote, no contest.

whenever i ask people in the channel why they're using the controller and not the remote the answer is invariably, "but that costs money!".

go on people fork out some cash, using the remote is a much nicer experience. besides it seems to me that xbmc is tweaked more in favour of remote users rather than people who use the controller. it just makes more sense, this is after all a media center. you wouldn't want to use a controller to control your set top dvd player or hi-fi would you?
it's a bit of a tossup for me. the menus are quicker to handle with the controller but the remote is easier during viewing. likely if i had a wireless controller, i'd prefer it but since i dont, the remote wins out just barely because of overall convenience.
my tv is rca and so the remote that came with it also works on the xbox and has alot more buttons. dont use the actual xbox remote. the mouse is still pretty cool
i use my wireless controller.... i would prefer the remote to a corded controller, but my wireless beats it easily.... and i didnt have to buy the stupid overpriced ms remote
remote... but when im playin games with buddies remote is wayyyy over at the coffee table and my controler is in my lap...

i wrote up a quick tutorial on replacing the crappy xbox remote with a universal that will not conflict with your rca tv or dvd hardware. its a couple threads down.. title is 'wicked remote... (i hope)' or something like that
i just bought the kameleon 6 from oneforall which has the ms dvd setup in it. ca 130 euro. works really good. just had to copy a couple of functions extra. with the scripting on the remote i can now also turn on/off the xbox with remote with just one button press (i use the ir-mod from chiptech.de). and it works flalessly with my other devices aswell.
now with the new trigger fast forwarding the controller rocks again. i use the wireless controller over the remote any day.
i only use the dvd remote. i am still lacking some functions to use with the remote (page up/down with the forward/reverse buttons as in xbmp) and i have a feature request for this in since may or so. would be nice to be able to use the remote for all functions (seems it's ignored for some in the config files).
(swmike @ oct. 06 2004,20:58 Wrote:i have a feature request for this in since may or so. would be nice to be able to use the remote for all functions (seems it's ignored for some in the config files).
getting functions mapped in a useful way has been worked on alot. you should give it a go yourself to see if you can avoid unacceptable colissions in all possible windows. just edit keymap.xml. if you find a mapping you prefer over the default just keep that one every time you update xbmc.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DVD-Remote or Game-Controller0