• 2(current)
[LIVE/LINUX] Package of xboxdrv for Xbox 360 Controller support on XBMC Live
darwin Wrote:Provide some specific details, and I can try to answer your questions.

- which versions of linux, live and xbmc?

- which version of the keymap.xml and startup script are you using?

- if you aren't using one of the startup scripts, what is your exactly xboxdrv command line?

The same keymap.xml without --trigger-as-zaxis should really not work properly because trigger-as-zaxis makes two axises (analog axises NOT centered at 0!) into one, with a different axis number.

If you :
Code:
apt-get install joystick

And then run :
Code:
jstest /path/to/your/joystick/device/that/xbodrv/announces

While running xboxdrv, you can see the axis numbers and values in jstest. The numbers in the Keymap xml are the jstest values +1. So if jstest says the trigger z-axis is axis "2", the keymap.xml gets :

Code:
<axis id="3" limit="-1">ScrollUp</axis>
      <axis id="3" limit="-1">ScrollDown</axis>

I don't have a dongle for my original Xbox controllers, so I haven't tested with the Xbox S Controller. If you do get a working keymap.xml for this controller and xboxdrv that scrolls in menus with the triggers, let me know how you did it and I will include your file in v2 of the xboxdrv_for_XBMC_live package. Smile

=darwin

I have this problem with my wireless 360 Controller as well. L/R on the right stick changes volume but doesn't seek, while theU/D on the stick seek.

U/D as 4 and L/R as 3 in jstest. I run with:

./xboxdrv-linux-0.4.8 --wid 0 -s -l 2 --dpad-as-button --deadzone 12000 --trigger-as-zaxis

on 9.04.

Any idea why they're flipped? I'm using the provided keymap file.
saratoga Wrote:U/D as 4 and L/R as 3 in jstest. I run with:

Any idea why they're flipped? I'm using the provided keymap file.

Unfortunately, I have no idea. The keymap.xml for 9.04 contains :

"
<axis id="4" limit="+1">AnalogSeekForward</axis>
<axis id="4" limit="-1">AnalogSeekBack</axis>
<axis id="5" limit="+1">VolumeDown</axis>
<axis id="5" limit="-1">VolumeUp</axis>
"

So L/R (3+1 or "4") should be AnalogSeekForward/Back. U/D (4+1 or "5") should be VolumeDown/Up.

What version of XBMC are you running?

=darwin
I'm also really confused by the keymap file. I don't suppose its possible theres another keymap file from somewhere thats being loaded instead? Thats about the only thing that would make sense to me.

FWIW, I'm running an SVN build from the end of July, i'll check and post the revision when I'm home.

Edit: I'm running r22268, which is actually from August.

Think its worth trying alpha 2?
saratoga Wrote:Edit: I'm running r22268, which is actually from August.

http://trac.xbmc.org/changeset/24108

As of this changeset (which is after yours), the path to the keymap file should be .xbmc/userdata/keymaps/joystick.xboxdrv.xbox360.xml or similar. If you read your .xbmc/temp/xbmc.log you should, however, be able to see which keymap file is in use. I have not heard of anyone else having the swapped-axises issue, so I doubt that upgrading to a modern version would work. I honestly have no idea what circumstance would cause your issue... :/

=darwin
OK... n00b question time.

1. I'm configuring my Live installation via PuTTY... how do I use 'wget' with those drop.io links to download the drivers.

2. I've installed the new Camelot B1 to play with, and without the xboxdrv userspace driver, XBMC at least correctly identifies A and B on my Xbox1 Logitech wireless controller. Is there any reason why we still need xboxdrv if the default installation can read the old Xbox controllers?

3. Xbox 1 and Xbox 360 controller support seems to be common request (judging from the number of posts in the support forum). How come it hasn't been rolled into the default install? Why is it still so difficult (for us n00bs)?

Thanks Smile

Dave
hexland Wrote:1. I'm configuring my Live installation via PuTTY... how do I use 'wget' with those drop.io links to download the drivers.

You may have to :

"
apt-get install wget
"

After that, just :

"
wget "http://example.url.notice.the.surrounding.quotes.com/bleh.file.ext"
"

Quote:2. I've installed the new Camelot B1 to play with, and without the xboxdrv userspace driver, XBMC at least correctly identifies A and B on my Xbox1 Logitech wireless controller. Is there any reason why we still need xboxdrv if the default installation can read the old Xbox controllers?
3. Xbox 1 and Xbox 360 controller support seems to be common request (judging from the number of posts in the support forum). How come it hasn't been rolled into the default install? Why is it still so difficult (for us n00bs)?

If the default installation can read your controller, I strongly recommend using that. It is probably supporting your xbox1 controller via the "xpad" kernel module. I don't use an xbox1 controller, so I don't know whether it works "out of the box" in linux XBMC or not. I know that my xbox360 wireless controller did *not* work out of the box in XBMC linux/live 9.04 and that's why I put together this package.

As to why the xboxdrv version of driver support has not been included in the default install, well, it requires certain kernel modules (uinput, joydev) to be loaded and it also requires compiling xboxdrv. I presume that even if the XBMC mainline project devs were inclined to go with an xboxdrv solution versus a more generic solution, it would still take entirely non-trivial work to make sure the bundled-in version works properly.

=darwin
linux-noob question: i noticed that i need to add the line to rc.local to get the driver to start up automatically. how do i edit rc.local? i tried to edit via wordpad, then reupload via ssh but i can't overwrite (permission denied). my guess is that i have to command line this thing out. and that's where i'm entirely lost. any help would be appreciated. thanks
alexpigment Wrote:linux-noob question: i noticed that i need to add the line to rc.local to get the driver to start up automatically. how do i edit rc.local? i tried to edit via wordpad, then reupload via ssh but i can't overwrite (permission denied).

/etc/rc.local is owned by the user named "root" which is like "Administrator" on windows. When you log into xbmc in general, you are probably using the username "xbmc" and not "root." You can either log in to the box via SSH (something like PuTTY) and use "sudo nano /etc/rc.local" to edit the file or you can log in remotely as root, assuming you have set a root password and so on. It is probably easiest to just log in and use nano.

=darwin
I'm still playing around with my keymap. I've got it mostly working, but the analog seek using the triggers in videos is screwy. Releasing the trigger doesn't stop seeking Has anyone found a solution?

Also, stepping forward works really erratically. I often end up way too far ahead when just taping the D pad.
this is how i launch xboxdrv in my rc.local:

start-stop-daemon --start --background --name xboxdrvd --startas /usr/local/bin/xboxdrv-daemon.py -- --xboxdrv /usr/local/bin/xboxdrv -- --dpad-as-button --trigger-as-zaxis --deadzone 8000 -D

It works very well for me. Give it a try. I use xboxdrv-daemon.py for 'hotplug' ability, which seems to be less important now that i'm using a wireless controller -- i had a wired xbox360 controller previous. (i recommend going with wireless -- much better experience.)

I'm running Jaunty.

ps. when watching a video, dpad-left/right jumps forward/back in "small" increments and dpad-up/down jumps forward/back in "large" increments.
for the life of me .. i can't figure out why this isn't working Undecided

-rwxr-xr-x 1 xbmc xbmc 3252839 2009-08-30 13:44 xboxdrv-linux-0.4.8
-rw-r--r-- 1 xbmc xbmc 188740 2009-07-30 07:29 xboxdrv-linux-0.4.8.tar.bz2
xbmc@xbmc:~/xboxdrv_for_XBMC_live.v1$ ./xboxdrv-linux-0.4.8
-bash: ./xboxdrv-linux-0.4.8: No such file or directory

as you can see the file exists .. but it won't run it

i thought i followed the instructions to the letter .. anyway my setup is a clean install from today of Karmic Koala Minimal 64bit with whatever build apt-get install xbmc gave me an hour ago

is the problem 64 bit Huh
pletopia Wrote:xbmc@xbmc:~/xboxdrv_for_XBMC_live.v1$ ./xboxdrv-linux-0.4.8
-bash: ./xboxdrv-linux-0.4.8: No such file or directory

as you can see the file exists .. but it won't run it

The problem is that the file is .tar.bz2 archived/compressed, and you have apparently only un-done the .bz2 step. More importantly, you appear to not be using the actual package referred to in this post, instead you appear to be downloading the source package of xboxdrv and trying to compile it for yourself.

That is not necessary, as the binary package referred to at the top of this post contains everything you will need to get xboxdrv working in karmic. Note the very important caveat that in modern versions of xbmc the path for the keymap.xml file has changed. You want to copy the jaunty keymap to .xbmc/userdata/keymaps.

If you are still having any problems after you get the correct tar file and follow the instructions included within, please feel free to ask and I'll help in any way I can!

=darwin
i actually did have the tar file and unarchived it .. i just pasted a small portion of 'ls' to show that the file is present yet the system is telling me that it isn't

anyway, i'm trying this again on a fresh install so lets see if i can get this working now

so my first problem:
Code:
xbmc@lizzy-tv:~/xboxdrv_for_XBMC_live.v1$ sudo cp -vf ./keymap.xml.trigger.as.zaxis.jaunty ~/.xbmc/keymaps/xboxdrv.xbox360.keymap.xml && chown xbmc:xbmc /.xbmc/keymaps/joystick.Microsoft.Xbox.360.Controller.via.xboxdrv.xml
[sudo] password for xbmc:
`./keymap.xml.trigger.as.zaxis.jaunty' -> `/home/xbmc/.xbmc/keymaps/xboxdrv.xbox360.keymap.xml'
cp: cannot create regular file `/home/xbmc/.xbmc/keymaps/xboxdrv.xbox360.keymap.xml': No such file or directory

next error i get:
Code:
xbmc@lizzy-tv:~/xboxdrv_for_XBMC_live.v1$ sudo ./xboxdrv_for_XBMC_live.9.04.jaunty.sh
./xboxdrv_for_XBMC_live.9.04.jaunty.sh: line 11: ./xboxdrv-linux-0.4.8: No such file or directory
pletopia Wrote:so my first problem:
Code:
cp: cannot create regular file `/home/xbmc/.xbmc/keymaps/xboxdrv.xbox360.keymap.xml': No such file or directory

As mentioned previously, for current versions of XBMC, you want to copy the jaunty keymap to .xbmc/userdata/keymaps/. They changed the location since 9.04. The README has not been updated yet.

next error i get:
Code:
xbmc@lizzy-tv:~/xboxdrv_for_XBMC_live.v1$ sudo ./xboxdrv_for_XBMC_live.9.04.jaunty.sh
./xboxdrv_for_XBMC_live.9.04.jaunty.sh: line 11: ./xboxdrv-linux-0.4.8: No such file or directory

I don't know why this isn't working for you.. If you run "ld ./xboxdrv-linux-0.4.8" what does it say? That's.. a pretty unusual symptom!

=darwin
darwin Wrote:As mentioned previously, for current versions of XBMC, you want to copy the jaunty keymap to .xbmc/userdata/keymaps/. They changed the location since 9.04. The README has not been updated yet.

i noticed they got moved awhile back .. instead of using that line from the readme file i manually (in gnome)
-dragged over keymap.xml.no.trigger.as.zaxis.jaunty to ~/.xbmc/userdata/keymaps
-made sure file/group owner were xbmc:xbmc
-renamed it to joystick.Microsoft.Xbox.360.Controller.via.xboxdrv.xml

darwin Wrote:I don't know why this isn't working for you.. If you run "ld ./xboxdrv-linux-0.4.8" what does it say? That's.. a pretty unusual symptom!

=darwin

Code:
xbmc@lizzy-tv:~/xboxdrv_for_XBMC_live.v1$ sudo ld ./xboxdrv-linux-0.4.8
ld: i386 architecture of input file `./xboxdrv-linux-0.4.8' is incompatible with i386:x86-64 output
ld: error in ./xboxdrv-linux-0.4.8(.eh_frame); no .eh_frame_hdr table will be created.

um, i take that to mean that i have a x64 setup and the driver is x86 and thats the issue ?

cause if so, i have no issue just downloading a x86 iso and reinstalling the system
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE/LINUX] Package of xboxdrv for Xbox 360 Controller support on XBMC Live1