Regarding Snow Leopard (10.6)
I know a lot are just itching to update to 10.6. The recommendation is to wait until the issues are resolved. They will get resolved as the devs have time to look into them.

There really is no reason to update to 10.6, XBMC for Mac will not see any benefit from OpenCL, does not use it. Nor anything else new that 10.6 brings. So if you are thinking upgrading to 10.6 will magically solve some existing problem with XBMC for Mac, think again.

If you have a stable install of XBMC for Mac on 10.5, stick with it.
Just a note from one that already upgraded:
I did a reinstall instead of a simple update, and I'm still struggling to get my build environment up and running.. so please, be patient Smile

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules. If you don't have the time to read them, please don't take the time to post in this forum!
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Here's my list of macports changes/problems that needed to be done/appeared:

- boost 1.40 didn't work, 1.39 is fine
- libsdl does not work, libsdl-dev is fine (http://trac.macports.org/ticket/20235) <- this means adjustments in port files depending only on libsdl
- libsdl_mixer: use libsdl-dev and few fixes http://trac.macports.org/ticket/20325
- smpeg patched here and there (http://trac.macports.org/ticket/20324)
- cmake must be installed with "-universal" (http://trac.macports.org/ticket/20871)
- lzo2 fixed by adding PortGroup muniversal 1.0 to Portfile

smbclient:
- needs samba3, which needs port:cyrus-sasl2, which is 64bit only
-cyrus-sasl2 can be built universal by hacking in libtool file (adding -archi386) + adding portgroup muniversal

After above, all macport dependencies should be installed at least in 32bit

configure XBMC with:
CC=gcc-4.0 CXX=g++-4.0 ./configure
and see it break during compilation of xcode_depends Smile
First few errors are because of missing -arch i386 flags, as 64bit is default on SL...

cheers,
mdd

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules. If you don't have the time to read them, please don't take the time to post in this forum!
why would you recommend such an ancient buggy compiler? or is the apple bastardized one?
spiff Wrote:why would you recommend such an ancient buggy compiler? or is the apple bastardized one?

yeah, it's apple's version. New gcc-4.2 isn't compatible with 10.4 SDK (a.k.a. AppleTV)

aha. thanks for the explanation
TN2187 (http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/t...n2187.html) says

Quote:Note: As of Leopard, the kIOHIDOptionsTypeSeizeDevice option requires root privileges to be used with keyboard devices.

Have you tried changing the permissions on xbmchelper to +s ?
davilla Wrote:TN2187 (http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/t...n2187.html) says

Have you tried changing the permissions on xbmchelper to +s ?

yep, ran it as root, same problems :/
I've asked Martin from SofaControl and he's told they did _ugly_ stuff to get old behaviour back. Basically they talk directly to the IR device. Maybe something to look into if Apple doesn't fix it soon....

This seem like bad times to get on the self-compiling train with my new mac-mini... Wink

First the code instability announced several days ago. Now this leopard thing...

I got as far as porting libsdl and getting the UsrActivity undeclared in SDL_QuartzEvents.m....

I'll just wait and hope for a little more action for my mini...

Jur.
Always read the XBMC Online Manual,Frequently Asked Questions and search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting use -> Log file.

Don't even try to use MacPorts 1.8.0 under 10.6. It's hopelessly broke for XBMC usage. I have no clue what the MacPorts devs were thinking by dropping the ability to target a specific SDK. Many of the libs just will not build anymore.

Working on a solution. Don't wait up.

EDIT:

Also if you are building under 10.5 or 10.4, do not update to 1.8.0. It's also broke.

Don't do "sudo port selfupdate" or "sudo port sync" if you have a working MacPorts install, you will break it.
MaestroDD Wrote:First few errors are because of missing -arch i386 flags, as 64bit is default on SL...

cheers,
mdd

Why can't we compile xbmc in 64 bit?
rotmistr Wrote:Why can't we compile xbmc in 64 bit?

Please don't confuse the issue, nothing was said about 64-bit.
So the only workaround for Samba problem for me is to mount smb (or better afp) shares on boot with applescript like this:

tell application Finder
open location afp://username:password@Iporservername/share
delay 1
close every Finder window
end tell

save this script as application and make it to start on boot through System Preferences->Accounts->Login Items
After that You can add your network locations like local resources from /Volumes/Yourshare
rotmistr Wrote:So the only workaround for Samba problem for me is to mount smb (or better afp) shares on boot with applescript like this:

tell application Finder
open location afp://username:password@Iporservername/share
delay 1
close every Finder window
end tell

save this script as application and make it to start on boot through System Preferences->Accounts->Login Items
After that You can add your network locations like local resources from /Volumes/Yourshare

This has really nothing to do with this thread... So I should not reply to that here, but here is a tip anyway...
You don't need an applescript to do that. Just mount your share in the Finder.
Then go to Preferences->Accounts->Login Items. Add the directory you just mounted (you can select a directory, not only an application there). That's it.
It will be mounted automatically next time you reboot.
xbmc.log: /Users/<username>/Library/Logs/xbmc.log
Beenje Wrote:This has really nothing to do with this thread...
Thank's for the tip.
And now, regarding to this thread, as I asked before: are there any plans to add 64 bit support (it could be usefull for linux and snow leopard users)? While testing Snow Leopard on several computers (mac mini, macbook Pro 2,1 two hackintoshes and 8-core 3Ghz Mac Pro) I've noticed that system is much more stable while working with x86_64 compiled applications.

And by the way: there is on serious reason to move to 10.6 - it's faster.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Regarding Snow Leopard (10.6)0