Compiling Lirc CVS & Determining Version
In order to stop multiple event keypresses in XBMC, I THINK I need to install lirc from CVS under ubuntu, because only the latest versions (not available on apt-get) have the feature my system needs to suppress multiple keysends from a Harmony remote.

Anyway, I followed most of the steps here:

http://codeka.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=22

And compiled, but don't see any difference. Lirc sees my remote but still registers 4 hits for every 1 button when I use irw. How can I tell what version of lirc I have installed? Package Manager GUI still shows 0.8.4a but I compiled 0.8.6pre2 I believe.

Is there any way I can know for sure if I did the right thing when I compiled, or is there anything I need to remove before I install from CVS to ensure I am getting the latest lirc from CVS?

Thanks for any help, sorry if it's a dumb question. Only been using Linux a week or so. Love command line and tweaking but lots to learn.
in terminal type lirc -v
that will give you the installed version.
Man, I feel stupid for needing to ask that now.

So, it's saying I am using the new version now, so that's good...

But it doesn't seem to want to init anymore, so I guess I did something wrong in the compile. irw gives me a connection refused and lircd won't start. Back to the drawing board I guess. I followed the steps here:

http://www.lirc.org/cvs.html

to do the compile but maybe I didn't tick something I needed to during the config process.

Bit of a Linux newb here, I find I need to sudo every command from terminal, is that normal or should I be giving my login some sort of admin/super power automatically? Maybe lircd needs that to run.

Thanks for the reply.
The lirc support facilities are probably your best bet for getting this resolved. This really has nothing to do with XBMC.
type lsmod in terminal and see if it is listed as running. If not type sudo /etc/init.d/lirc start that will load it.

As for it not being an xbmc issue not sure I'm in agreement there. As you can see by my post I have the identical issue but i don't use lirc. Same remote though it is finding a way to best handle the pulses.
Yeah I apologize if this shouldn't be here. I just know a lot of Linux users here want lirc running so they can have a remote in XBMC.

I discovered what happened was that when I compiled lirc, it no longer was being put into init.d like the packaged version. Instead, it was being placed in /usr/local/sbin. So it is not auto-starting when I boot and I haven't figured out how to make it do that yet. I can start it manually but then it's limited in what it can do since it was not started as root daemon.

Still have the darn keypress issue where my Harmony remote sends it the signal 4 dang times too. Grrr.
Hey TZ - Do you know of a way I can get lirc auto-starting at bootup again? It used to live in init.d and I'm not sure if that is an auto start for ubuntu or where the startup script that called it was...Should I add a line in rc.local to call it? It needs to run as root to work in XBMC, starting from the command line doesn't cut it.
on harmony site you can troubleshoot and adjust the sensitivity setting to 0. Default is 3 see if that helps. Getting it to start on boot. What setup you have ? ubuntu system/preferences/startup programs....you can add it there in the other location or sym link it
sudo ln -s /path/to/real/file /path/to/non-existant/file
Thanks for the reply. I did set the sensitivity down to 0 (it was at a 1 already) and still was getting 4 events in irw for each single button press on my Harmony One.

As for the lirc startup thing, I think it goes deeper than a symlink but I'm not sure just yet. I went back and re-installed the lirc official release by doing a...

sudo apt-get lirc

That got it starting again in boot. But now I am back to the official release. It seems that doing an apt-get on lirc does a lot more as far as configuration to startup and other things than getting the latest CVS and doing a make and make install. That does compile it but doesn't seem to do all the magical things that the official apt-get does.

What I may attempt to do is do the make install again and then just modify the lircd script in init.d to try and call the version I compiled and see if that makes any difference.

I was hoping though that the latest CVS would cure the repeat issue but it doesn't seem to anyway. So maybe it's not even worth the trouble. When I manually kicked off my CVS compiled version it was still getting 4 events from a single Harmony keypress.

I'm not sure if it's the Harmony's fault or the fault of the Mac Mini's IR receiver. I'm pretty sure it's a combo of both. If this was happening for every Harmony regardless of IR receiver type I think someone would have fixed it by now.
i have the 880 ...same issue but i'm not running lirc because it has a consumer IR built in so it does keyboard emulation and I don't need it. With the default sensitivity I was register 4 key presses if not more. Set to 0 I'm down to 2 but nothing I have done so far eliminates them. Installed lirc, played with keymap and lircmap files still nothing. Looking through the forums though the problem isn't only us so hoping there will be a fix soon.
Yeah, at least it's comforting to know we aren't alone -- There has to be a solution out there. If I figure it out I'll share, hopefully someone else will do the same. It may require a recompile of lirc (or even an xbmc hack) but the fact that the latest lirc cvs is still doing it for me doesn't give me too much hope on that end of things.

Let's try and remember to update this thread if we find any solutions.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Compiling Lirc CVS & Determining Version0