[BUG] Mac Mini shuts down after XBMC is idle for some time
Unfortunately, my Mac Mini shuts down after XBMC remains idle for some time (10 min or so?). Its not that XBMC shuts down, but the whole computer.

I am using an XBMC nightly built from late June (let me know where I can find the version number if this is helpful) and the latest AEON skin with Multiplex MOD.

Anyone any thoughts?
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
steve1977 Wrote:Unfortunately, my Mac Mini shuts down after XBMC remains idle for some time (10 min or so?). Its not that XBMC shuts down, but the whole computer.

I am using an XBMC nightly built from late June (let me know where I can find the version number if this is helpful) and the latest AEON skin with Multiplex MOD.

Anyone any thoughts?

Look into the "Idle Timer" setting. One dollar says it's set to shutdown on idle timeout instead of screensaver or off.
davilla Wrote:Look into the "Idle Timer" setting. One dollar says it's set to shutdown on idle timeout instead of screensaver or off.

Thanks. This sounds like it is not a bug, but actually intended. Good to know. Can you quickly remind where I can find the "idle timer" setting. Do I need to edit advancedsettings or can I do it right out of XBMC?
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
@steve1977
davilla may be refering to a setting on MacMini?! Or maybe XBMC Settings > System > Shutdown Idle Timeout (http://www.xbmc.org/wiki/?title=System_Settings)...

You can find the XBMC version by going into Shutdown > Info.

You can produce a debug log, see instructions here:
http://www.xbmc.org/wiki/?title=HOW-TO_S...Bug_Report

PS: What am I doing on the Apple/Mac threads?! :-)
Dan Dare Wrote:@steve1977
davilla may be refering to a setting on MacMini?! Or maybe XBMC Settings > System > Shutdown Idle Timeout (http://www.xbmc.org/wiki/?title=System_Settings)...

You can find the XBMC version by going into Shutdown > Info.

Thanks for your help. Somehow, I cannot find this function in the settings (checked the WIKI, but my settings looks different). I have something called "Shutdown Function Timer", which is off and something called "Shutdown Function", which is "quit".

Any thoughts, which could cause this "auto-shutdown". Not only XBMC shuts down, but my whole Mac Mini...
check your energy saver prefs under osx.
There is nothing in energy saver which turns the mac off. Sounds more like a hardware issue if its not XBMC. Has the OP tried running the mini without XBMC running to see what it does?
A debug log would tell everyone if it was XBMC shutting down.
garyi Wrote:There is nothing in energy saver which turns the mac off. Sounds more like a hardware issue if its not XBMC. Has the OP tried running the mini without XBMC running to see what it does?

Yes, but accurate user info is sparse and I have run into users that think when the box goes to sleep, that means that it shut down Smile Better to ask, than wonder.
Fair point well put. Dr House.
davilla Wrote:Yes, but accurate user info is sparse and I have run into users that think when the box goes to sleep, that means that it shut down Smile Better to ask, than wonder.

Actually, the mini doesnt go to sleep, but it shuts down. And this never happens when XBMC is not running. My Mini is basically on 24/7 and never any issues. However, if I watch a movie in XBMC and let the mini (with xbmc open) on overnight, the mini is off in the morning. One thought I had was that the CPU gets too hot (as I use rather hardware intensive AEON skin with MOD) and that forces shutdown.

Let me try it later today today to create a log file, but not sure whether it will show anything it is hardware and OSX protection related.

Any other thoughts?
steve1977 Wrote:Actually, the mini doesnt go to sleep, but it shuts down. And this never happens when XBMC is not running. My Mini is basically on 24/7 and never any issues. However, if I watch a movie in XBMC and let the mini (with xbmc open) on overnight, the mini is off in the morning. One thought I had was that the CPU gets too hot (as I use rather hardware intensive AEON skin with MOD) and that forces shutdown.

Let me try it later today today to create a log file, but not sure whether it will show anything it is hardware and OSX protection related.

Any other thoughts?

Snag a copy of /var/log/system.log right after one of these shutdown episodes. It should contain info as to what told the box to shutdown.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[BUG] Mac Mini shuts down after XBMC is idle for some time0