Buying a remote in Edmonton - suggestions?
Hi all.

I made the purchase of an Asrock 330 dual core, and am running XBMC Live from a USB stick. I replaced the nVidia restricted drivers on the USB stick, and the wee machine is running like a charm on my 720p setup, including optical out!

I would now like to make the purchase of a remote that will work with XBMC live. Living in Edmonton Canada, I have been struggling to find any MCE remotes at local retailers! I have tried the following :

A-Computers
Best Buy
Memory Express
BCOM (from whom I purchased the ASROCK yesterday)
The Source

Unfortunately they are all drawing blanks. I know I can purchase an MCE remote online through NewEgg.ca or Tiger Direct.ca, but was hoping to find one locally since I am doing my setup this weekend.

Any suggestions as to where to find these remotes? Don't want anything fancy, just something with out of the box functionality with XBMC live. That said I don't mind doing some "hacking" with LIRC if Live can handle that!

TIA
Rob
ebay
personally, one thing that 'spoiled' me in terms of why i love xbmc so much is the controls. i started using it on an original xbox and hence the xbox controller.

so much so that i can't even fathom using any other type of remote. the idea of scrolling through 10,000 albums in the music library just seems like a nightmare with anything but an xbox controller.

so, i have to suggest getting a wireless xbox360 controller with a usb dongle for it and grumbel's userspace xboxdrv driver. it is a lot more work, but i think it is the most rewarding. if you want i can prep some instructions that should get you through it.
Smile 
bobb0 Wrote:so, i have to suggest getting a wireless xbox360 controller with a usb dongle for it and grumbel's userspace xboxdrv driver. it is a lot more work, but i think it is the most rewarding. if you want i can prep some instructions that should get you through it.

Hmmn.
I happened to download one of the free iPhone apps that allows me to control some of the basic functions, so that is a good start. It controls XBMC via wifi. Kinda cool - but I'm not going to leave the iPhone lying around for everyone else in the family Rolleyes

As for eBay, I was hoping to find something locally, but can always fall back on it as a last resort. I am totally open to the XBOX360 remote. Saw one in Walmart the other days for under $30. Do they come with a USB dongle, or would I have to source that elsewhere? Do stores like EB Games carry remotes & dongles?

Thanks for the suggestions guys!
Rob

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Buying a remote in Edmonton - suggestions?0