VDPAU HQ Upscaling
If you have a compatible GPU, the latest commit to linuxport adds VDPAU HQ upscaling.

Several things to note. Firstly, and most importantly it is untested. I don't have access to the required hardware.

Next, You'll need to have a VDPAU 'Feature set C' capable GPU. Not many of these around at the moment, but i'm sure they'll add more cards to this (short) list as and when they're released.

Finally, you'll need NVIDIA's linux driver v190.32 or later in order to enable these features.

Please let me know how it goes if you have access to the hardware.

motd
I don't have a compatible video card (9400 ION), but I wanted to say thank you.
Just in case anyone's wondering, here is the list of currently supported cards:

from ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-...dix-a.html

GeForce GT 230M 0x0A2A C
GeForce GT 240M 0x0A34 C
GeForce G210M 0x0A74 C
GeForce GTS 260M 0x0CA8 C
GeForce GTS 250M 0x0CA9 C
For the record, those are all notebook chipsets.
theophile Wrote:For the record, those are all notebook chipsets.

Yes, we are really wait for the desktop cards to try out this awsome feature.
Should be out soon.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
What about the 1.5Gb Nvidia Geforce GT230 desktop card? Does the M matter? I dont see it listed in the nvidia appendix but i have one to test on - is there a way to see if upscaling is supported in software anyway?
So this doesn't include the ASROCK etc ION machines? Shame - and I presume it won't come in the future either...

So where does that leave the rest of us for SD scaling - software only methods or is there some prospect of hardware HQ scaling somehow another way?

Awesome work, though, like all the rest of XBMC. Will have to take the leap from PPS to SVN soon once it's all looking fairly stable....
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
ok too many beers. i see now the dicusssion is around the c support set. so, umm, helluva first post on my part.

the 9400m i.e ion is vdpau compatible:
ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-...dix-a.html

and here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VDPAU

more info in the 'B' support which clearly outlines the specs:

VDPAU Feature Set B

GPUs with VDPAU feature set B support at least the following VdpDecoderProfile values, and associated limits:

VDP_DECODER_PROFILE_MPEG1, VDP_DECODER_PROFILE_MPEG2_SIMPLE, VDP_DECODER_PROFILE_MPEG2_MAIN:
o

Complete acceleration.
o

Minimum width or height: 3 macroblocks (48 pixels).
o

Maximum width or height: 128 macroblocks (2048 pixels).
o

Maximum macroblocks: 8192

VDP_DECODER_PROFILE_H264_MAIN, VDP_DECODER_PROFILE_H264_HIGH:
o

Complete acceleration.
o

o

Maximum width: 127 macroblocks (2032 pixels).
o

Maximum height: 128 macroblocks (2048 pixels).
o

Maximum macroblocks: 8190

VDP_DECODER_PROFILE_VC1_SIMPLE, VDP_DECODER_PROFILE_VC1_MAIN, VDP_DECODER_PROFILE_VC1_ADVANCED:
o

Complete acceleration.
o

o

Maximum width or height: 128 macroblocks (2048 pixels).
o

Maximum macroblocks: 8190
Trev Wrote:What about the 1.5Gb Nvidia Geforce GT230 desktop card? Does the M matter? I dont see it listed in the nvidia appendix but i have one to test on - is there a way to see if upscaling is supported in software anyway?
From nVidia ftp:
ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-...dix-a.html
Vdpau features C:
GeForce GT 220 and GeForce G210 no word about GT230.
ION should also be able to do HQ upscaling:

ArcSoft uses it with their SimHD tool on ION based Boxes:

Quote:"Fremont, California — April 1st, 2009 — ArcSoft, Inc. announced today the retail version of ArcSoft SimHD, a plug-in for ArcSoft TotalMedia™ Theatre, its universal high-definition multimedia player. SimHD is ArcSoft’s in-house upscaling technology, which simply brings most standard-definition video to near high-definition quality. SimHD performs this video upscaling work by utilizing the NVIDIA® CUDA™ parallel computing architecture to solve complex calculations in a fraction of the time required on a CPU.

"Our newly released upscaling technology, ArcSoft SimHD, is available now in retail to allow viewers to obtain an HD-like viewing experience on the PC from the existing standard DVDs,” said George Tang, ArcSoft Vice President and General Manager of Video and Home Entertainment Group. "The partnership with NVIDIA is an important step for us in delivering such an extraordinary experience to users with extremely sufficient power usage.”

TotalMedia Theatre takes advantage of the powerful graphics processing unit (GPU) in today’s PCs by using the NVIDIA CUDA architecture to provide sufficient power for SimHD‘s intensive post processing algorithms. NVIDIA GPUs are the only processors that can process these sophisticated algorithms in real time. The application is compatible with millions of NVIDIA GPUs from the GeForce 8 Series onwards, including GeForce® and Quadro® processing units line.

“What a great way to upgrade your existing library of DVDs! All you need is TotalMedia Theatre and an NVIDIA GeForce GPU, and you can instantly turn your movies into near-HD quality,” said Michael Steele, General Manager of Visual Consumer Solutions at NVIDIA. “ArcSoft SimHD is another great example of how GPU computing is changing the world and providing consumers with real value.”

TotalMedia Theatre with SimHD technology is currently available as a TotalMedia Theatre plug-in for end users. For more information about the product, please visit http://www.arcsoft.com/intouch/simhd_totalmedia3_nvidia."

Quote:"ION graphics deliver a premium experience in small, low-powered PCs with support for:

* All versions of Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7
* Outstanding HD video including 1080p
* Battery life that is comparable with other netbooks
* Stunning HD video through an external monitor via HDMI
* Mainstream games including Spore, Ice Age, and Wall-E
* Hardware acceleration for NVIDIA® CUDA™-based applications such as vReveal, Badaboom, SimHD plug-in for Total Media Theater, and Super LoiLoScope"
not ONE place does that mention vdpau...
Quote:All you need is TotalMedia Theatre and an NVIDIA GeForce GPU, and you can instantly turn your movies into near-HD quality,” said Michael Steele, General Manager of Visual Consumer Solutions at NVIDIA

This is so typically marketing guys. A SD movie source can never be
near HD quality no matter if you develop the worlds greatest upscaler. Shit in is shit out - always been a simple truth.
PointOfView Nvidia ION Atom 330 - TRANSCEND 2GB DDR2 DIMM 800MHz - G.SKILL 64GB SSD 2.5
Open Elec Beta4 1.95.4
XBMC Online Manual - HOW-TO post about a problem in a useful manner - Create/View Bug Report
Setup/Fix correct resolution on XBMC/Ubuntu - Usefull linux terminal commands
Geforce G210 is released. http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,69422...d/Reviews/

Has support for feature set C according to: http://http.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/...dix-a.html
The-Boxhead Wrote:This is so typically marketing guys. A SD movie source can never be
near HD quality no matter if you develop the worlds greatest upscaler. Shit in is shit out - always been a simple truth.

Someone's not used a Crystalio2 :-)

Whilst you're right, up to a point, using a decent upscaler can have a MASSIVE impact when you're using a screen with 6 times more pixels than the source material. Take SD television as an example, it can be made to look infinitely better than it does in its native form.
athloni Wrote:ION should also be able to do HQ upscaling:

ArcSoft uses it with their SimHD tool on ION based Boxes:

As your quote notes, thats with CUDA and not VDPAU.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
VDPAU HQ Upscaling0