I've recently purchased an Asrock ION 330 to use as a HTPC. I've already installed XBMC on both the HTPC and on my computer, so I thought I'd write a very small tutorial for those that are going through the exact same procedure (I would imagine quite a few of us). At the end of the thread I will ask a few questions that I hope the more experienced part of the userbase will be able to answer.
Others are of course welcome to post questions as well, as I feel there are a lot of unanswered questions regarding Aeon, and we don't need a new thread for each and every one.
So here we go, starting with the tutorial:
1) Install minimal Ubuntu, http://www.xbmc.org/wiki/?title=XBMCbunt...nal_Ubuntu
2) Install XBMC using this auto-setup script, http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=374815
3) Install Aeon, http://www.xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=49958
Personally I chose a slightly different path, I extracted the Aeon-folder on my Windows-computer and copied it over to the HTPC using Filezilla. The same procedure goes for the fonts, http://www.mediafire.com/?lywzwbnqyyy
4) You should now have a "basic" HTPC-setup and you're ready to start importing stuff to your library, using scrapers to get the correct info/pictures. Some of us might want a "perfect" library though, and want to spend some extra time making all entries in the library suitable to our needs. For this, you need to read part 5:
5) Using offline scrapers, for my movies I like to use this app, http://www.xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50348 With this app you can do modifications to the movie-info/pictures before you import it into XBMC. Personally I like to check the runtime is correct, see if there are any better posters/fanart and add "extrathumbs". I either find these here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=50401 or make screenshots myself using VLC Media Player. When you're satisfied, save your changes and you're good to import the movie(s) into XBMC. Unfortunately EMM currently have no support for TV-Shows, so for that task I use http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=47071
Import the tv-show you want to edit into MIP and select fitting fanart/folderart for each season. This app is unfortunately not configured for Aeon-use and i.e. folder-art will look weird when loaded into Aeon. The solution is to download season-thumbs etc. from this excellent site: http://www.xbmcstuff.com/
You will soon figure out what fits your need and what does not.
And now for the questions, from me to you:
1) I've gotten studio and source (720p etc.) flags to work, however audio and resolution flags do not work. I'm running XBMC 9.04 stable and latest version of Aeon Stark. I got this working when I was running XBMC SVN, but there were some sound issues with the latest SVN-versions so I had to switch back. Is this related? Or how can I fix this?
2) When running XBMC on my PC (exact same version of both XBMC and Aeon) all fanart, thumbs etc. look perfect and behave the way they should. However, on my HTPC the movie-thumbs are a little "cut off" in the sides. And even worse, on my tv-shows the season thumbs are "cut off" in all directions, and the backdrops do not show up until you've entered a show and exit'ed it again. Anyone got any clue to why this is happening?
3) How do you "exit" XBMC? I'd like to install applications like Wine, Spotify and Firefox but I'm not able to start X?
An Ubuntu+XBMC+Aeon tutorial/question thread for/by noobs.
Joined: Aug 2009
2009-09-08 13:53 Post: #1
(This post was last modified: 2009-09-08 20:39 by sexten.)
Joined: Apr 2009
2009-09-08 21:06 Post: #2
I can only answer 3). I use the default skin and I haven't spent any time on the library, fanart nor thumbs.
Quote:3) How do you "exit" XBMC? I'd like to install applications like Wine, Spotify and Firefox but I'm not able to start X?1) Some skin does not have the exit button so if you cannot exit at all you need to switch skin or modify it.
2) If you run xbmcbuntu or live and exit xbmc you do not drop all the way to to command line. I hope someone will fix that to the next version. There is a post in the forum how to fix it your self.
3) If you fix the script or boot into safe mode you can start x with <startx>. Or in my case I only access the desktop from my laptop using NX server.
4) There is something called launcher that you can setup to start firefox etc without exiting xbmc. I have not done it though.
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Phoenix, AZ
2009-09-08 21:14 Post: #3
Thanks for bringing all this to my attention. I need to get one of those now. I've had the Zotac on my mind for many months. It's crazy how far it's come.
Joined: Jul 2008
2009-09-16 16:13 Post: #4
For installation try http://www.xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=57764
XBMScript - Easy installation for Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (9.04)
Installing XBMC on Ubuntu can't get easier than this!
Before posting error/feature questions regarding XBMScript, read THIS
Run as root. Don't be a pussy