Boxee verses XBMC? - Not asking for support, just an pro and cons overview.
I tried Boxee before they had this new version and didn't like it. I just don't like the social aspect of it. I don't want to share what I'm watching with people, I just want to watch my movies in peace.

I think if XBMC were a company that could sell a settop box it would be a very different story and companies wouldn't be able to compete with the U.I.

Just think it the hardware of a Popcorn Hour could run the XBMC U.I ...Thats all you would need.
BORIStheBLADE Wrote:I tried Boxee before they had this new version and didn't like it. I just don't like the social aspect of it. I don't want to share what I'm watching with people, I just want to watch my movies in peace.

I think if XBMC were a company that could sell a settop box it would be a very different story and companies wouldn't be able to compete with the U.I.

Just think it the hardware of a Popcorn Hour could run the XBMC U.I ...Thats all you would need.

XBMC Live plus an Acer 1600/3600 comes pretty close.

What would be really cool would be something that included a TV tuner as well :-)

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:XBMC Live plus an Acer 1600/3600 comes pretty close.

What would be really cool would be something that included a TV tuner as well :-)

JR

It does for sure. I'm one of those guys that needs a toslink / S/PDIF for my receiver and don't feel comfortable using a usb to toslink. I'm just worried about stability.

Or I could just buy a new receiver with HDMI in, but since I'm unemployed I guess I need to wait.Big Grin
outleradam Wrote:it's gaining popularity through slandar, basically proponents are calling XBMC old news and boxee the grown up version of XBMC.

I seriously can't believe that they would take free shit and put a new skin, a couple of integrated apps, and a price tag on it, then call it the grown up version. I'm going to make a skin for boxee and call it the grown up version of boxee.

Seriously, it's the kiddy version of XBMC. OMFG lets tweet about what we're watching, it's so pretty!

Speaking of slander...I suggest you keep your mouth shut about things you have no clue about. If you don't like something, fine. But bring something constructive to the table or don't post at all. We don't need the trolling.
I know Boxee made some sort of large donation, and is using mostly Team XBMC's code. Is Boxee supported by Team XBMC? Can we expect to see XBMC die?

I'm seriously worried about these things.
Use mythicalLibrarian to make a library out of your MythTV files. Leave the recording to MythTV and use XBMC as your library.
Installation and Instructions:http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=MythicalLibrarian
Technical Support:http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=65644
[url=http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?tid=1081892][/url]
outleradam Wrote:I know Boxee made some sort of large donation, and is using mostly Team XBMC's code. Is Boxee supported by Team XBMC? Can we expect to see XBMC die?

I'm seriously worried about these things.

You are thinking way too hard about these things. I suggest a chill pill and stop making something out of nothing. Boxee supports Boxee, Team XBMC supports XBMC. There is common source code, end of story.
What was the version of xbmc that boxee forked from?
andre.lourenco Wrote:What was the version of xbmc that boxee forked from?

They're not a "fork" in the normal sense. They continuously use changes and make changes to the XBMC codebase. If a feature goes into XBMC you can assume it will end up in boxee at some point. VDPAU is a good example of that.

It goes the other way too... boxee put DXVA2 support in, it's now in the main XBMC branch.
I've been using both boxee and xbmc

boxee is easy as hell to setup, but isn't very flexible (no skins! Sad)

xbmc is a helluva more flexible, but a pain in the butt to setup

My perfect world would somehow meld xbmc and boxee into one
Phokus Wrote:I've been using both boxee and xbmc

boxee is easy as hell to setup, but isn't very flexible (no skins! Sad)

xbmc is a helluva more flexible, but a pain in the butt to setup

My perfect world would somehow meld xbmc and boxee into one

Amen, they both have their merits, but in the end XBMC always wins me over Smile so I just keep both installed and shuffle back and forth between them. I use Boxee for the online content ( i.e justin.tv ,etc )

I setup some hotkeys on the remote (7 starts xbmc, 8 starts boxee, 9 kills whichever is running).
I haven't used Boxee in a couple weeks, but ReConfusedetup, I agree that it's hella easy, but also hella not-so-easy to figure out how to definitely have all of my local media in the library. This issue may have been addressed or not. It really isn't a focus of boxee, but it's a key thing that keeps me going back to XBMC.

Also, the super ninja powers I have here.
Phokus Wrote:xbmc is a helluva more flexible, but a pain in the butt to setup

Try out Meedios, then see what you think of XBMC's setup Laugh
TerranQ Wrote:Try out Meedios, then see what you think of XBMC's setup Laugh

MeedioOS..Are you serious? It was one of the worst mediacenter-software-packages I tried. The setup sucks ass, skin engine is crap and it's just something you won't want to try at all.
Dannydeman Wrote:MeedioOS..Are you serious? It was one of the worst mediacenter-software-packages I tried. The setup sucks ass, skin engine is crap and it's just something you won't want to try at all.

I bet thats the point he was trying to make Smile
dan1son Wrote:They're not a "fork" in the normal sense. They continuously use changes and make changes to the XBMC codebase. If a feature goes into XBMC you can assume it will end up in boxee at some point. VDPAU is a good example of that.

It goes the other way too... boxee put DXVA2 support in, it's now in the main XBMC branch.

Off course there is a version from which Boxee started from.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Boxee verses XBMC? - Not asking for support, just an pro and cons overview.0