• 1(current)
User experiences so far with the dx builds of xbmc - share them here..
Lightbulb 
ok, here's the deal:

i don't want to disturb the developer threads any longer, and of course they have my full respect they don't want to give any kind of support to directx/newer GL related questions and issues as this is a WIP (work in progress).

nevertheless, i don't want to just shut my mouth (doh) and wait until there will be support, ending up with 100000000 questions that could have been already answered with testing the ongoing builds.

maybe other ppl like me feel the same, willing to test our machines to death with that, and might even be able to give "some" kind of feedback the devs still can read on (without the need to answer or participate at all). so this is what this thread should be for: sharing our experiences with those new builds until there is a statement on xbmc.org all should be working in shape again..

so, what's your experiences?

please be kinda specific (tell your graphics card, the windows version (including 32 or 64bit), the svn revision you've tested and if you are using 1 or 2 screens (and finally which was the screen you've tested it on))

let's talk about it Nod (and please remember: only share what you came up with, do not beg for any kind of support, ok?)
cheers,azido :;):
This thread is fine. Just keep in mind that the team knows that the source tree isn't up to par currently. This means it's not ready for 95% of you to use. So keep your problems, successes, speculations, general bitching, etc in here for the time being. Wink We'll make an announcement when we think things are in shape. Thanks!
althekiller Wrote:This thread is fine. Just keep in mind that the team knows that the source tree isn't up to par currently. This means it's not ready for 95% of you to use. So keep your problems, successes, speculations, general bitching, etc in here for the time being. Wink We'll make an announcement when we think things are in shape. Thanks!

and thanks for this statement!
I installed Krickers XBMC-Rev22814.zip build last night. No issues with playback at all:
Tested mkv with DTS and DD, xvids and mp3's

The only problem I have is that the Fanart and Picture Slideshow Screensaver just shows a white screen.

Only using One Display device.

* Athlon XP 4400 CPU
* Old ASUS A8N Deluxe motherboard
* 2 gig DDR ram
* Azuntech HDA DTS Xplosion SoundCard
* ATI HD 4450 Graphics Card with HDMI
* Silverstone LC17 HTPC ATX case with remote.
* XP SP3.
* Samsung Series 6 46"
excellent idea, I have no experience with the dx version but can you explain what the benefits will be for windows users over opengl? gui/videoplayback.

Can we expect dxva(and beyond) support because of this. (eventually)
infy Wrote:excellent idea, I have no experience with the dx version but can you explain what the benefits will be for windows users over opengl? gui/videoplayback.

Can we expect dxva(and beyond) support because of this. (eventually)

the only real benifit (currently) is better support for video drivers so it will work better on intel and ati graphics cards. Apart from that useage should be no different
Vista 32bit, ATI HD3200 onboard, downloaded the directx drivers from microsoft. rev22854

XBMC loads, but not properly full screen, can still see start bar down the bottom.
Music plays fine, movies start, sound works but no video, dts, dd etc working. Cannot skip forwards or back.

Interface is a little darker than GL, and not as smooth.
Jezz_X Wrote:the only real benifit (currently) is better support for video drivers so it will work better on intel and ati graphics cards. Apart from that useage should be no different

i tried the newer -gl versions, too, that also use the new technics of screen assignment (being able to go fullscreen on #2), but fs is just not centered correctly on the tv (there is a black bar on top that cannot be removed by recalibration). do you think that's an ati issue and using an nvidia card will help here?
AzzX Wrote:I installed Krickers XBMC-Rev22814.zip build last night. No issues with playback at all:
Tested mkv with DTS and DD, xvids and mp3's

The only problem I have is that the Fanart and Picture Slideshow Screensaver just shows a white screen.

Only using One Display device.

so you've only attached your tv with hdmi to your htpc?
Hi, I've probably told you this before, but as this seem s to be the right place now I'll say it again. I've installed Krickers latest version on my laptop and it works rather well. Ok here goes the Tech Specs:
Processor: AMD Turion 64 running at 2.2Ghz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce 6100 Go
Memory: 1.5Gig
Storage: All my stuff is stored on a Linux server and I use SMB shares
WinVer: Windows 7 (32 Bit Edition) Build 7100
Skin: Transparency! 2.0
I've found that the fan art displays properly, although some of the little icons show up as white boxes. Music playback is spot-on but no visulizations and Video playback is ok, although it seems to slip slightly out of sync.
dj_gerbil Wrote:Hi, I've probably told you this before, but as this seem s to be the right place now I'll say it again. I've installed Krickers latest version on my laptop and it works rather well. Ok here goes the Tech Specs:
Processor: AMD Turion 64 running at 2.2Ghz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce 6100 Go
Memory: 1.5Gig
Storage: All my stuff is stored on a Linux server and I use SMB shares
WinVer: Windows 7 (32 Bit Edition) Build 7100
Skin: Transparency! 2.0
I've found that the fan art displays properly, although some of the little icons show up as white boxes. Music playback is spot-on but no visulizations and Video playback is ok, although it seems to slip slightly out of sync.

yeah, i've noticed, thanks.
i wonder where the ppl are that use 2 displays like me and are willing to test.
azido Wrote:so you've only attached your tv with hdmi to your htpc?

That is correct. HTPC via HDMI to Denon which outputs all sources to HDMI into the TV.

The very latest builds, both GL and DX are displaying the startbar though, I'll have a play round with it.
AzzX Wrote:That is correct. HTPC via HDMI to Denon which outputs all sources to HDMI into the TV.

The very latest builds, both GL and DX are displaying the startbar though, I'll have a play round with it.

ok, thanks. i wish i could connect my tv to my pc with hdmi, but unfortunately my tv does not support that - only vga is available for pcs connected to it using wxga to support those higher resolutions (1360x768 max).
Hi azido I just downloaded this version from Kricker Rev22854-dx
I am running it on windows xp pro Sp3 with 1gb ram Amd Athlon 64 Dual Core 5000+ CPU
With Ge force 7300 Graphics Card Conected to a 32" Samsung LCD Via HDMI.
At first I were seeing the my taskbar on the bottom of the screen i tried allways to get rid of it. But when i got up this morning it's gone(Pc were on all night transcoding movies)
To be honest it runs much better than the older builds without the DX.

As for stability it's too early for me to say if it's stable or not but i am able to play movies with no trouble at all and out put is 1360x768(native resolution)
I will let you know if any problems start but for the moment it's greatSmile
XBMC Frodo 12 - Windows 7 - Asrock Ion 330HT - Aeon Nox
paul Wrote:Hi azido I just downloaded this version from Kricker Rev22854-dx
I am running it on windows xp pro Sp3 with 1gb ram Amd Athlon 64 Dual Core 5000+ CPU
With Ge force 7300 Graphics Card Conected to a 32" Samsung LCD Via HDMI.
At first I were seeing the my taskbar on the bottom of the screen i tried allways to get rid of it. But when i got up this morning it's gone(Pc were on all night transcoding movies)
To be honest it runs much better than the older builds without the DX.

As for stability it's too early for me to say if it's stable or not but i am able to play movies with no trouble at all and out put is 1360x768(native resolution)
I will let you know if any problems start but for the moment it's greatSmile

thank you.. are you using a 2 display solution or just only tv attached?

i might get myself an nvidia card again. they're cheap these days.
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
User experiences so far with the dx builds of xbmc - share them here..0