naviiOne - a new skin in development - very early development
I am hoping to contribute to xbmc with a new skin. There are many gui's that have inspired this project. The most prominent influence on this project is the wii gui. I AM NOT ATTEMPTING TO DUPLICATE THE WII GUI; I am mearly looking to take some elements of that gui and incorperate them into an xbmc skin. I would also like to say that many of the already existing and current skins have clearly influenced this project. Finally I would like to state that these images are just mockup images and by no means final. (for example there are a few elements that are very close reproductions of other works that i am seeking permission to use). I was originally going to code the entire skin before posting in the forum, but have decided to share in my experience creating this skin. The main reason is that I have greatly enjoyed watching other skins develop in this very forum. I will now address some key issues that will undoubtedly be raised.

1080p vs 720p - This project will first focus on 1080p. There are several reasons. First, it is easier to develop high resolution textures and downsize them than increase resolution. Second, 720p consists of several different resolutions, while 1080p is always 1920x1080 (at least thats my understanding). Third, most tvs being manufactured now are native 1080. Lastly, i dropped what is a good amount of cash to me on a 50" Kuro 5020 and dont want to waste any pixels. I am not ruling out a 720 version down the road.

Fanart - This skin will not include any background fanart. Why? Personal preference: I think it clutters the display. I understand that i am in the very small minority on this issue. It will include fanart used in a similar way to thumbs. Finally, i am sure a modder will quickly add fanart upon the projects completion if the skin turns out to be even slightly popular.

Views - One main focus of this skin will be ease of use. A main element of this will be the lack of views. Each piece of media will have only one view - an info list. Each info list however will have many (as many as 10) possible info/art layouts. Again, if the skin is moderately popular, I am guessing modders will add art-based views rather quickly.

Themes - I am considering spending time offering more than the marine blue color that the skin currently features. Please let me know if you think more colors are worth my time.

Lastly, I am looking to include new features such as recently added on the home screen and the new database items for media specs.

Please keep in mind that these mock ups are mostly giving an idea of the direction the project is headed. The final project may look nothing like these (though i like these a lot). There will be more details - for example i am going to include a page up/page down and page x of x. I am trying to keep the skin as openly laid-out as possible.

Please feel free to leave comments as to any features you would like to see included (fanart, 720p, and art-based navigation withstanding). Also, let me know if you think these look terrible - id hate to create a project that only i enjoy. Thanks to everyone who has in anyway contributed to the xbmc project and inspired me to contribute. I will update this topic periodically as the project progresses. There is a VERY SOFT target (beta) release date of 1/1/2010.

Looks like it has plenty of potential mate! My only real thought while looking at the mockups is screen burn with all that white ... But that's probably just me Big Grin
I don't know about others but I really like the look your going for Smile
XBMCG33K Wrote:Looks like it has plenty of potential mate! My only real thought while looking at the mockups is screen burn with all that white ... But that's probably just me Big Grin

agreed - burn-in is a pretty big concern (especially with my kuru!). I dont use the gui for long periods of time in a row, so i dont see it being a big problem. Of course my brightness and contrast have been properly adjusted down. Anyone have some experience with this have any advice? Other than "buy an LCD" ... By the way, the full 1080p mockups look stunning up on my plasma.

On a separate thought - XBMCG33K, thanks for Xperience! I am looking forward to it!
I like the overall look. Fanart as thumbs is nice, it's one of the better things in mediastream_redux.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search and search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please read how to submit a proper bug report.

If you're interested in writing addons for xbmc, read docs and how-to for plugins and scripts ||| http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-addons/
Nmarconi Wrote:agreed - burn-in is a pretty big concern (especially with my kuru!). I dont use the gui for long periods of time in a row, so i dont see it being a big problem. Of course my brightness and contrast have been properly adjusted down. Anyone have some experience with this have any advice? Other than "buy an LCD" ... By the way, the full 1080p mockups look stunning up on my plasma.

On a separate thought - XBMCG33K, thanks for Xperience! I am looking forward to it!

XMBC has screensaver options anyway, so it's really not much of an issue.

Great looking skin, and whilst the lower case titles looks nice typographically, I can certainly see them bugging some people Laugh
automated Wrote:Great looking skin, and whilst the lower case titles looks nice typographically, I can certainly see them bugging some people Laugh

agreed - the skin will most likely include caps (or at least the option). Laugh
Nmarconi, would you consider maybe a bit more of an off white and Grey gradient? Might eliminate the colour burn worries, and as automated stated XBMC has the screen saver option so it may really be just a concern of my own personal preference.

Oh and thanks for the mention of Xperience, but it isn't just me mate ALL of Team Blackbolt has had a hand in the making. Smile
Looks really nice!! Kind of reminds me of the Alaska mock ups, not in a rip off way but more of an "anti AEON" way. While it was amazing to see what could be done with all the various backdrops and backgrounds in AEON, I tend to agree with you that it's getting cluttered and I like the Idea of some clean simple and "elegant" looking skins.

(Still love AEON, Media Stream, Media Stream Redux, and others. I just love having a media center with so many great looks available for it)
Looks very cool. Even your views.

I'd love to see a few different themes available and I don't imagine they'd take as much time to do as other skins. This is probably a good way to stick with your original colour ideas while appeasing people concerned about colour-burn.
Looks really good.

I know it's Wii based but something I don't like is how text is all lowercase.
But that's just my personal opinion. I think everthing else looks really good and keep up the good work

EDIT: I see this was already mentioned, so never mind my comment ;-)

Cheers
Really likin' it
soft and cream Wink
Lookin real good! Hopefully you stick with it until completion. Would love to use this skin when I pick up my new projector down the road.
Great - thanks everyone for the support! It looks like the basic direction is a good one. I will start moving forward and definitely consider adding themes with different colors (fore and background). I agree that due to the simplicity of the skin they should be easy to add. Also, i will probably ditch the lowercase letters (or at least make it an option). I will update this thread with actual screen shots and new screens as soon as they are available - hopefully have something new for you all before the end of the week.
maui917 Wrote:Looks really nice!! Kind of reminds me of the Alaska mock ups, not in a rip off way but more of an "anti AEON" way. While it was amazing to see what could be done with all the various backdrops and backgrounds in AEON, I tend to agree with you that it's getting cluttered and I like the Idea of some clean simple and "elegant" looking skins.

I hope DJH agrees that naviiOne is similar to alaska but as you put it, "not in a rip off way." I think both concepts share several goals such as simplicity, ease of use, a clean look, and of course the prevalent white background. The main difference, to me, is that naviiOne will focus on info list views while alaska (i am guessing) will focus on both art and list based navigation. Also, im sure alaska will end up looking much more polished as DJH is a top notch skinner with loads of experience and i am just starting out. However, I am hoping the simplicity of naviiOne allows me to concentrate on producing a very polished product.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
naviiOne - a new skin in development - very early development0