• 30(current)
[LINUX] XBMScript - Easy installation for Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (9.04)
FireMan, Thanks for your reply...

I did choose SVN, and I've tried to reinstall it twice (SVN both times).
I could go and try with the Stable - but I'll give the BAND-AID script a go first.

I'll let you know when i know more....
iGudi Wrote:FireMan, Thanks for your reply...

I did choose SVN, and I've tried to reinstall it twice (SVN both times).
I could go and try with the Stable - but I'll give the BAND-AID script a go first.

I'll let you know when i know more....

The current version of XBMScript has the same functionality as the bandaid script, it also installs libass. The current issue is with the nvidia drivers not installing correctly. The ubuntu ppa sources make a mess of the kernel module, which makes it unable to find the nvidia modules to modprobe. The only solution I currently know is to manually install the nvidia drivers, which has disadvantages such as it limits upwards compatibility due to the fact that it doesn't upgrade along with the system.

I'm still on it to find a suitable solution.
XBMScript - Easy installation for Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (9.04)
Installing XBMC on Ubuntu can't get easier than this!
Before posting error/feature questions regarding XBMScript, read THIS
Run as root. Don't be a pussy
Crossing my fingers that you can find a fix and update the script!!
You can always help, I'm open for improvements Big Grin
Found some very usefull stuff at the ubuntu forum
nVidia latest Drivers - How to install - (180.xx - 185.xx - 190.xx)

There's also a link to HOWTO: Automatically update manually installed NVidia drivers after kernel updates

This might come in handy for your script?
I've tried to manualy install the nvidia drivers - didnt solve my problem
Also tried to install the stable package - didnt work either

Edith: did both under safe mode as i cant boot in normal mode

apt-get update says "Error http://ppa.launchpad.net karmic/main packages 404 Not Found"
Could now get http://ppa.launchpad.net/xbmc-addons/ppa...6/Packages 404 Not Found

It's the Karmic folder that doesnt excist...
iGudi Wrote:I've tried to manualy install the nvidia drivers - didnt solve my problem
Also tried to install the stable package - didnt work either

Edith: did both under safe mode as i cant boot in normal mode

apt-get update says "Error http://ppa.launchpad.net karmic/main packages 404 Not Found"
Could now get http://ppa.launchpad.net/xbmc-addons/ppa...6/Packages 404 Not Found

It's the Karmic folder that doesnt excist...

iGudi,

Until flxfxp fix the newer version, you can give a try in the older script (page 35). I've try it today and still working.
I've selected:
1 - install stable (will install 9.11 beta1 without SVNs)
3 - 190 driver (will compile and instal 190.42)
and NO to all 5 skin options.

BUT THERE IS A TRICK: it didn't work after try with actual version. I needed to make a new fresh install of ubuntu 9.04 minimal. Don't know why...

It is based in the version 10/02/2009 (I think), but with some little changes regarding the key servers.

In time, I can't wait for the next version! I saw the support for Ubuntu 9.10!

flxfxp, keep the great work!!
Just for your info i tried to reinstall ubuntu and run xbmscript with the stable version. There are some sources that are missing, so I'm back with the flickering screen...
I can confirm that the first version for Karmic is actually working. I just upped the new script. Try to install it. Its still very beta though.
To have it automatically start at boot, type "autostart" at the menu and follow instructions.

Good luck,

Dennis

p.s: for some reason Jaunty has been very effed up, cant seem to get the display drivers working (still!). Thats why I focused on getting Karmic working Smile
flxfxp Wrote:I can confirm that the first version for Karmic is actually working. I just upped the new script. Try to install it. Its still very beta though.
To have it automatically start at boot, type "autostart" at the menu and follow instructions.

Good luck,

Dennis

p.s: for some reason Jaunty has been very effed up, cant seem to get the display drivers working (still!). Thats why I focused on getting Karmic working Smile

THANKS!

Will try right now.
With 9.10 working, forget about 9.04!!! This is logical: you should focus your enforce in the newer distro. :p

Regards.
Meh, I'd like to get both working, that's the issue of being a perfectionist Tongue
I've tried the actual script with 9.10 minimal install. Didn't work Blush

But I've keep /home partition. I will try again tonight, formating all partitons.

Anyway, just to register, I've install 9.10 minimal, selecting only the 1st software package (server tools, i think) and OpenSSH server. Then I deleted the old script and get the new one using:

Code:
wget http://flx.me/script; chmod +x xbmscript.sh; sudo ./xbmscript.sh

Select option 1 (stable), 1 again (stable), 3 (NVidia 190), no to all skins (I only install any skin after know everithingn is working fine).

The curious thing: I left an USB webcam pluged when installing. I aways left it pluged... For the first time, alsamixer only shows the webcam mic control :p
I probably installed ubuntu and xbmc w/this script about 20 times (3rd in 9.10), but this was the 1st time I saw the webcam (and nothing more) in alsamixer... Will unplug it next time.

Best regards,
FireMan.
Didn't work in karmic, even after install from scratch:

Code:
xbmc@MARK1:~$ /etc/init.d/xbmc-live start
Rather than invoking init scripts through /etc/init.d, use the service(8)
utility, e.g. service xbmc-live start

Since the script you are attempting to invoke has been converted to an
Upstart job, you may also use the start(8) utility, e.g. start xbmc-live
start: Rejected send message, 1 matched rules; type="method_call", sender=":1.18" (uid=1000 pid=2370 comm="start) interface="com.ubuntu.Upstart0_6.Job" member="Start" error name="(unset)" requested_reply=0 destination="com.ubuntu.Upstart" (uid=0 pid=1 comm="/sbin/init"))

I've tried stable (1, 1) and SVN (1, 2).

Regards.
After my little adventure in 9.10 karmic, I try switch back to 9.04. But now both scripts aren't working Sad

I'm unable to install in 9.10 and 9.04. Even the band aid fix version isn't working after xbmc 9.11 beta2.

Regards.
FireMan, it might be handy to actually find out what the error is instead of constantly reinstalling, because that won't help.

If you execute startx, does it give a error? Or just a black screen with a mouse pointer?
  • 30(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] XBMScript - Easy installation for Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (9.04)5