• 32(current)
[LINUX] XBMScript - Easy installation for Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (9.04)
X3lectric Wrote:since this clearly says there no support for karmic on first post well ooops.

And in the 444th post the OP says:

flxfxp Wrote:I can confirm that the first version for Karmic is actually working. I just upped the new script. Try to install it. Its still very beta though.
To have it automatically start at boot, type "autostart" at the menu and follow instructions.
flxfxp Wrote:Network might be too slow? You need to have atleast a proper 100mbit network. Anyway, copy over the movie to the machine running xbmc and try running it locally.
I use a wired network 10/100mbit network and usually get a solid 10MB/sec from my server and NAS.
When I experimented with a popcorn hour I could run 1080p videos perfectly and I can run them now on my computer with no problems.
I just tried to play a 720p .mkv and it is still laggy.

I have no idea how to transfer files onto the Asrock machine. I figured out how to launch fluxbox and have just figured out how to install thunar I then found it does not support network browsing.
LastMile Wrote:And in the 444th post the OP says:

I the 444th post the OP should edit the fist post to make the necessary ammendments to fist post which is the one containing bulk of info any posts after are either self help or solutions for issues... Considering 99.9999% of people wont read 2 pages of topics never mind 30 or 40 you get the idea.

I originally read the whole lot as I always do before I post in any topic and would expect the main topic to be updated as needed...

Maybe someone can ping flxfxp to do so.
Exclamation 
Rusti Wrote:I just completed a Karmic 9.10 Minimal install and ran your script successfully on an Asrock Ion 330 HT, 320gb with 2gb ram. Got the autostart working as well. XBMC boots fine and the menu and system info looks ok (Confluence).

However, playing a 1080p from a network share, the movie lags and is playing at ~22fps at ~40% cpu.

I enabled all the VDPAU settings in XBMC and the res is set at default 1920x1080 with the framerate set to match the video rate.

Any ideas?

Ill say this one last time (since ppl keep ignoring it then it must be all in my head. For the Karmic/Asrock ION ppl. The karmic kernels atm present various issues with the asrock post install the minimal Karmic your greeting before the login prompt shows ic2 smbus IO conflicts and various other modules wont be fully working with the asrock the more you get deeper into it the more issues you will find... The only kernel tahts is stable and fixes all these issues is 2.6.32 until that is mainline I personally wont bother.

on another note Jaunty is working fine any issues I found when I tested this script was with keyservers clonking out I and others have posted solutions for that.

in the end this script is a nice little booster but it needs to mature to a more flexible and personalized set up of various components instead of generic where applicable, my suggestions can be found somewhere lost amongs all other posts.

flxfxp is welcome to use the info I gathered which falls outside the scope of this script and add it to it, it can be found on forums or my signature, forums limits posts to 10k chars which is not enough to post proper how tos so I ported the lot to my blog.

Enjoy.
Hi All,

Don't have much time to try anything until next week, but I like to report the results of a fresh install I made yesterday to a friend's ASRock (karmic).
I've got a newer NVidia driver (190.53) and a newer XBMC version (9.11rc1 r25756).
But no VDPAU and no USB automount (even using the 'sudo polkit-auth --user xbmc --grant org.freedesktop.hal.storage.mount-removable').

The good news is the autostart. Is working!

Cheers,
FireMan.
Many thanks for the great work of this script! It really ROCKS, I've been using it in the past smooth installs, anything you can dream of, but currently it is not working.

I've been reading through all the posts, and as far as I see, is the current state that the script is not running for Jaunty, but Karmic isn't stable either.

I've installed the script as it is currently.
No surprise it doesn't boot Smile though I would like to contribute by giving the log info I had.

First off: my installation setup.
installed Jaunty minimal, no additional stuff intalled at all.

xbmc:
option 1 installed (stable version) with the script modified using the pgp.mit.edu keyserver
Result -> xbmc doesn't boot.

So what did I encounter after a few installs today?
* Apparently shadow passes need to be installed from the Jaunty minimal. It gave an error.
* Reinstalled minimal with shadow passes, xmbc setup with modified script, error gone.

What I do find strange though, a couple of weeks ago I ran the script the keyserver solution worked fine. Also with nvidia driver 1.85. The skins didn't download correctly due to a missing skin folder.
But the driver was fine then, now it isn't anymore.

* The only two errors I do see in the installation log is that when it is trying to get something from a "ppa.launchpad.net karmic/main "

I'm wondering if that one is a problem or not.

Furthermore: if the nvidia drivers aren't good, is the code in their repo OK?
Why is it a problem to build it ourselves?
Anyone having the correct steps/script to build it ourselves?
The other thread is not so clear I think.

Any help to quickfix ourselves is welcome

Regards, Johan
X3lectric Wrote:I the 444th post the OP should edit the fist post to make the necessary ammendments to fist post which is the one containing bulk of info any posts after are either self help or solutions for issues... Considering 99.9999% of people wont read 2 pages of topics never mind 30 or 40 you get the idea.

I originally read the whole lot as I always do before I post in any topic and would expect the main topic to be updated as needed...

Maybe someone can ping flxfxp to do so.

It's kind of difficult to currently post what issues there are. Like johan_tre said, it used to work fine, but ever since the first betas and karmic got released it has been kind of fucked up. Repo issues. Xorg issues, repos going down, you name it. I've been trying to get everything back to working smoothly but still have not been able to fix every error. There have been times that I fixed the script for installation but after a mere month something has changed and then it all stops working (again!).

It has not been me who has changed things, xbmc and ubuntu has. I've just been trying to keep up. You can't expect me to get everything working smoothly everytime, especially when using something unstable such as karmic or the xbmc svn. I wanted to help out but this moaning has to stop.

Most of the posts are not insightful at all, they just complain about xbmc not starting and going to password prompt or a black screen. This does not help.

I mentioned it earlier and I'll mention it again, I created this script for free for people who are confident in installing xbmc and just want to relieve themselves of all the manual installation steps. That currently people are using the script who are not familiar with xbmc or linux at all is understandable but that does not work. I've had private messages with people who completely did not understand anything, one tried to wget the script in the GRUB boot prompt without ever having ubuntu installed.

The installation procedure itself is no magic, just a bunch of commands that are executed in a particular order. Since it seems most people are lazy, the actual installation steps that it performs can be found here: http://pastebin.com/f7f410de9 (jaunty)

Again, instead of complaining try actually helping getting the script compatible again, because currently its just a big mess. Just reporting of what you do or don't see does not help. I got shit if you tell me that you're screen went black. Try to start xbmc manually and report actual errors.

Dennis

p.s: this was not directed at anyone, but it should hit home for some of the posters in this thread.
XBMScript - Easy installation for Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (9.04)
Installing XBMC on Ubuntu can't get easier than this!
Before posting error/feature questions regarding XBMScript, read THIS
Run as root. Don't be a pussy
Hi flxfxp,

I agree with X3lectric: actual karmic kernel has some issues with ION chipset. If you grep for nForce in /var/log/syslog will return something like:

Code:
Dec 19 18:09:06 ASROCK2 kernel: [    4.659537] ACPI: I/O resource nForce2_smbus [0x4e00-0x4e3f] conflicts with ACPI region SM00 [0x4e00-0x4e3f]

But I don't experiment any problem related to this issues. No hi CPU loads, no hangs, the time to copy files from (and to) USB are the same etc. The only real problem I found was related to lm-sensor (nothing to do with XBMC).
This bug was reported to Ubuntu and affects other NVidia's chipset beside ION.

Anyway, this bug has a workaround, according with this site:
http://ubuntuforum-pt.org/index.php?topic=59009.0 (sorry, but isn't in English)

I will try the workaround ("acpi_enforce_resources=lax" as kernel parameter) when switch back to karmic (I've give another try with 9.04).

Yesterday, like I said in a early post, I use your script to install in a friend's ASRock. I got 2 problems: vdpau wasn't working and USB isn't automounting.

The 1st problem was solved running and installing again. Probably, the files need are so fresh that aren't available at that time. But now NVidia's 190.53 are working with vdpau.

The 2nd problem has nothing to do with the script: USB automount look's broken in RC1! It was working in my ASRock and my desktop in beta2, but isn't working anymore after update to RC1 (i din't use the script to update, just to be sure).

According with X3lectric the script works with jaunty, but I can garanty it isn't. And has nothing to do with keyservers. As you said, it stopped to work after beta1.
After install and reboot xbmc will not start. And, if you run startx you will receive the following error like:

Code:
xbmc@ASROCK2:~$ startx

exec: 5: /usr/bin/X11/X: not found
giving up.
xinit:  No such file or directory (errno 2):  unable to connect to X server
xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error.

So, to finish, your script is working fine in karmic. Including the auto start part. The only problem I've found was the USB automount which I believe is related with XBMC and not the script.

Thanks for your hard work!

cheers,
FireMan.
FireMan Wrote:Hi flxfxp,

I agree with X3lectric: actual karmic kernel has some issues with ION chipset. If you grep for nForce in /var/log/syslog will return something like:

Code:
Dec 19 18:09:06 ASROCK2 kernel: [    4.659537] ACPI: I/O resource nForce2_smbus [0x4e00-0x4e3f] conflicts with ACPI region SM00 [0x4e00-0x4e3f]
But I don't experiment any problem related to this issues. No hi CPU loads, no hangs, the time to copy files from (and to) USB are the same etc. The only real problem I found was related to lm-sensor (nothing to do with XBMC).
This bug was reported to Ubuntu and affects other NVidia's chipset beside ION.

Anyway, this bug has a workaround, according with this site:
http://ubuntuforum-pt.org/index.php?topic=59009.0 (sorry, but isn't in English)

I will try the workaround ("acpi_enforce_resources=lax" as kernel parameter) when switch back to karmic (I've give another try with 9.04).

Yesterday, like I said in a early post, I use your script to install in a friend's ASRock. I got 2 problems: vdpau wasn't working and USB isn't automounting.

The 1st problem was solved running and installing again. Probably, the files need are so fresh that aren't available at that time. But now NVidia's 190.53 are working with vdpau.

The 2nd problem has nothing to do with the script: USB automount look's broken in RC1! It was working in my ASRock and my desktop in beta2, but isn't working anymore after update to RC1 (i din't use the script to update, just to be sure).

According with X3lectric the script works with jaunty, but I can garanty it isn't. And has nothing to do with keyservers. As you said, it stopped to work after beta1.
After install and reboot xbmc will not start. And, if you run startx you will receive the following error like:

Code:
xbmc@ASROCK2:~$ startx

exec: 5: /usr/bin/X11/X: not found
giving up.
xinit:  No such file or directory (errno 2):  unable to connect to X server
xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error.
So, to finish, your script is working fine in karmic. Including the auto start part. The only problem I've found was the USB automount which I believe is related with XBMC and not the script.

Thanks for your hard work!

cheers,
FireMan.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=4...post461927

hers some fixes but laxing the kernel will not really solve things the underlying issue is with modules and acpi banging same IO ports at same time which is not fixed though it may seem to be fixed it can really damage stuff, thats my friend is really bad. up 2 you if you wanna lucky it out....

enjoy all the fish
ok, which setup is fully working for HDMI, even with manual steps?
Maybe we can setup the needed steps instead of annoying
the writer of this fantastic script.
In another thread maybe?

I think also that it could become handy to flxfxp to see the reported errors and problems in there in order to find potential workarounds.
Cause IMHO I do not think the probl is his script, but anything it uses.
Which on its turn should not belong in this thread.
Just tried this script on a Ion 330 with 9.04 minimal. I tried both the 185 and 190 Nvidia drivers on the stable release, and I am having no success getting this script to work. After reboot, the splash screen works but dumps be to the console. I'm kind of overwhelmed reading through the hundreds of posts in this thread. Can anyone help me with a workaround to get this thing to work? Thanks in advance
Execute "startx". Does that give you a error or just a black screen with a cursor?
XBMScript - Easy installation for Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (9.04)
Installing XBMC on Ubuntu can't get easier than this!
Before posting error/feature questions regarding XBMScript, read THIS
Run as root. Don't be a pussy
Keyservers
Seems it something wrong with https://launchpad.net/~team-xbmc/+archiv...1_i386.deb

If you try to download the libass3 + dev package manually from the page, you get:

Not allowed here
Sorry, you don't have permission to access this page.

I checked on https://launchpad.net/~team-xbmc, and it seems they have removed the PPA`s for:
XBMC Hardy PPA
XBMC Intrepid PPA
XBMC Jaunty PPA
XBMC Karmic PPA

I edited the script and used these instead:
http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc/ppa/u...1_i386.deb

http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc/ppa/u...1_i386.deb

Then it seems things worked as it should.
Only error I could see was for xbmc-addons wich seems to not have karmic packages yet.

Now, I just have to figure out how to get mp3/flac etc in stereo and not in multichannel.
Hopefully the .asoundrc with this script fixes this Smile

-n
flxfxp Wrote:Execute "startx". Does that give you a error or just a black screen with a cursor?

It cannot find X11. Was I supposed to install this during the MinimalCD installation?
  • 32(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] XBMScript - Easy installation for Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (9.04)5