NEW! Internationalization Support Announcement
Rainbow 
(jqcc @ sep. 13 2004,11:52 Wrote:there is also a pretty good implementation of mplayer.dll by a chinese gentlemen which allows fast fwd/rev of rmvb with no sync problems

the website is www.xbox.cn2k.net

he did a modified cvs build which supported ttf chinese but not smb
problem is that they have not released any source code changes even though we requested (according to gpl the have to do this)
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
(jqcc @ sep. 13 2004,12:10 Wrote:well to update everyone

for the 720p - use font size 20 for the font101 and for
1080i use font size 24 for the font101 and then everything looks good for both 720 and 1080 for the arialuni.ttf

it looks great now and i do not have to sqint to see the words
one question though what is analog forward assigned to the trigger key?
i committed to cvs the changes you suggested.

regarding your comment of the assignment of analog forward to the trigger key - i did not change anything related to that, so you want to send this question in the support forum.

-yuval
(yuvalt @ sep. 13 2004,04:12 Wrote:please explain the detailed steps that do not work so i can try to reproduce.

thanks,

-yuval
the steps are fairly easy.

1. install the latest cvs build;
2. install the movie trailer python script (aqtbrowser2.py);
3. change the font to "arial ttf", (no need to change charset etc); i'm using arialuni.ttf, but i think i tried original arial.ttf and i believe both didn't work;
4. launch the moive trailer, everything looks fine so far;
5. select any trailer to play, and select, say, medium quality;
6. oops, it will freeze at the popup box "enable mplayer osd".

sorry i don't have a screenshot though.
(yuvalt @ sep. 13 2004,13:03 Wrote:

1080i use font size 24 for the font101 and then everything looks good for both 720 and 1080 for the arialuni.ttf

regarding your comment of the assignment of analog forward to the trigger key - i did not change anything related to that, so you want to send this question in the support forum.

-yuval
i think i'd like to have size 20 for font101 even for normal ntsc. the current ttf font size is a little bit small, especially when viewing chinese characters.
(gamester17 @ sep. 13 2004,12:42 Wrote:
(jqcc @ sep. 13 2004,11:52 Wrote:there is also a pretty good implementation of mplayer.dll by a chinese gentlemen which allows fast fwd/rev of rmvb with no sync problems

the website is www.xbox.cn2k.net

he did a modified cvs build which supported ttf chinese but not smb
problem is that they have not released any source code changes even though we requested (according to gpl the have to do this)

i'm using a 9/9 build and ffwd/rev of rmvb now works!!
the a/v is slightly out of sync for a few seconds after the operation but corrects itself afterwards.

maybe the new version of mplayer has incorporated similar fixes.
i made simplified chinese font in xpr format. how to use it with the cvs build?
i noted that smbdirectory.cpp unconditionally call g_charsetconverter.utf8tostringcharset(dirent->name, strfile), which convert unicode file name to native encoding, the file name then will be converted back from native encoding to unicode before it is displayed, this does not make much sense.
also xdk suggests using ttf font should be avoided since it degrades performance a lot. anyway bitmap font is for console and ttf font is for office application.
droopy,
i've used bitmap font(xpr) for korean almost 5 months with modified xbmc.
number of basic korean characters are about 2000.
with this setup, bitmap font itself take about 6mb of memory.
if i use bigger font or different font size for skin, it will take more than 10mb. also bitmap subtitle font take about another 6mb.
then what happen is there isn't enough memory for video playing. most of movie file plays fine. but some of them crash, because of memory.

if you use bitmap font for chinese, it will took almost double size of memory compare to korean font. so you may not play anything except running xbmc.
because of that, i think turetype font support is critical  especially for chinese.
performance of ttf font in xbmc is not bad at all. why don't you try this first!
(yuvalt @ sep. 13 2004,13:03 Wrote:

-yuval
font size 24 for 1080i is too small, should be somewhere between 28 and 32, say 30.
(droopy @ sep. 13 2004,22:19 Wrote:i noted that smbdirectory.cpp unconditionally call g_charsetconverter.utf8tostringcharset(dirent->name, strfile), which convert unicode file name to native encoding, the file name then will be converted back from native encoding to unicode before it is displayed, this does not make much sense.
also xdk suggests using ttf font should be avoided since it degrades performance a lot. anyway bitmap font is for console and ttf font is for office application.
droopy,

since xbmc does not use wchar_t throughout the code we decided to use this method. if you are willing to volunteer and change all the code, add #define unicode and make it work, i'd be happy.

the xdk does not say that ttf should be avoided but say that it less performant. in tests i did, it consumes less memory than xpr font (since we use many fonts in the skin). i did not see any performance degradation.

any constructive ideas?

-yuval
(droopy @ sep. 13 2004,20:10 Wrote:i made simplified chinese font in xpr format. how to use it with the cvs build?
how big is the file? you are welcome to submit a patch to sourceforge so people who are interested can install it.

-yuval
problem solved..... :kickass: :fixed: :thumbsup:
hi yuvalt,

great work again. just a minor issue with the weather. the deg celsius symbols do not work correctly.
my settings are as follows:-
resolution:- ntsc 4:3
language:- english
skin fonts:- arial ttf (arialuni.ttf taken from msoffice 2003)
charset:- chinese traditional (big 5) or chinese simplified (gbk) both will display an unknown chinese character instead of the degrees celsius symbol.

hope you can fix this as well.. thanks a million again!
ok sorry.. another question/ problem.
i am able to read, access my mp3, acc song files in my pc through smb. but how can i copy them over to the xbox?
using xbmc file copy and paste from source to destination doesn't work .. yuvalt, is this something that cannot be fixed?
is there another way to transfer the chinese font files from pc to xbox? i tried using ftp (flashfxp) as well but that doesnt work...

thanks again..
(gwlip @ sep. 14 2004,16:19 Wrote:ok sorry.. another question/ problem.
i am able to read, access my mp3, acc song files in my pc through smb. but how can i copy them over to the xbox?
using xbmc file copy and paste from source to destination doesn't work .. yuvalt, is this something that cannot be fixed?
is there another way to transfer the chinese font files from pc to xbox? i tried using ftp (flashfxp) as well but that doesnt work...

thanks again..
the xbox filesystem (fatx) is very limit to the chars you can use for filenames. so this is nothing we can do about, sorry.
read the xbmc online-manual, faq and search the forums before posting! do not e-mail the xbmc-team asking for support!
read/follow the forum rules! note! team-xbmc never have and never will host or distribute ms-xdk binaries/executables!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NEW! Internationalization Support Announcement0