Team-XBMC calling all translator volenteer!
xbmc is now capable of displaying non latin characters in the skin and filenames. i want to call all translators:

1. create new translations to language where it was not possbile until today (russian, far east, etc).
2. update your current translations to include new characters that were not possible until now (polish, etc).

please send me your translations and i will put them in cvs.

thanks!

-yuval
yuval,

i made a language file for korean which is matched with 9-13 english lanuage file. checked with a couple of friends.

string.xml for korean

please, put on the cvs.

thanks in advance Smile
it's now in cvs.

thanks!

-yuval
hi!

i'm working on the norwegian translation of strings.xml. i've diff checked with the latest english version (1.105) and updated most of what's needed with respect to contraints of buttons, etc. i've also worked quite a bit on consistency and altered the meaning of some entries for them to be more intuitive.++

my questions are:

1. is the entry number 6 (build version) supposed to be included in translated language files or not? (i see from sf that the version 1.1 update (by po1ng) removed this entry, but it has been included in all later revisions, i also checked german translation for a reference, same here)

2. i've added comments in the xml file. i consider it good pratice, as i think certain translations need some annotations and it's good to have them included in the source for other translators to see, maybe creating a debate around naming conventions? uhm, the question was then, are comments in strings.xml ok? (it parses fine in xbmc, dunno what parser is used though)

imho a proper attention to translation and userfriendlyness is very important for the popularity of an application, especially among the less experienced user, don't you think?

x-halez
great - thanks Smile

comments should be fine - we only read the tags that we need, nothing else.

we have not yet decided how to best handle the build string. it won't hurt leaving it in, ofcourse. ideally, we'd want it updated at build time, but noone has implemented this yet. does it need to be translated at all?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

>comments should be fine - we only read the tags that we need, nothing else.

ok, good! to make that clear; my comments are valid xml-comments.

>we have not yet decided how to best handle the build string.  it won't hurt leaving it in, ofcourse.  ideally, we'd want it updated at build time, but noone has implemented this yet.  does it need to be translated at all?

good question. depedns on what the string should say really. my current file has the value 'xbox media center 1.1.0', since it is supposed to be for v1.1.0. this is fine for point releases, 'cause the value contains only the name and version, wich is language neutral (at least at this point, i mean we don't want localized names for xbmc right?)

it is really only a problem in cvs builds where the word 'build' could be translated. i don't know for other languages, but 'build' is a fairly common term in norwegian software development as well. clearly this is a minor problem.

stating that the xbmc is a release, when in fact it is a cvs build is another case. probably it's not a problem, but the language files aren't updated as often as other parts of the project, so version info won't match. a solution to this could also be to add a task in the build script that parses all strings.xml to replace/remove the entry in question?

maybe a bit pointless, insignificant discussing on my part Wink but i just wanted to have some sort of resolution to this problem. rules are sometimes good in software development. Smile

anyhow, i'll leave the entry in there for now.

sorry, 'bout my long posts.

x-halez
not sure i understand what you mean... but. if there's a string missing from your localized version, xbmc is smart enough to use the english default... maybe answer enough?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I am working on Slovenian translation.I am gonna let u know ASAP when it is finished.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Team-XBMC calling all translator volenteer!0