[WINDOWS] Can I use CoreAVC codec in XBMC?
Not much. There is a thread in the XBMC development thread in which a user is starting to get Dshow and VMR9 to work, but we're still a ways away from a Windows solution. Feel free to read that thread, as it's some interesting stuff, but only post there if you are answering a question or posting something useful, like code.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=59610

Note, this is a user solution. Nothing official.
davilla Wrote:advancedsettings -> skiploopfilter

search the forums for skiploopfilter, details are there. It's used on AppleTV installs where the default is 8.

couldn't find that option... can anyone assist?

thanks.
The main reasons Linux suck for me:
  • The great AMBX system isn't supported, so I won't have lights like ambilight. Invested quite some money in two basic systems Smile
  • I also use my mediacenter to download/unpack/order media from usenet. I'm not sure how it'll work in Linux, but I suspect the LiveCD doesn't come with a GUI or any of that possibilities. And I don't know if NTFS support is there by default?
  • I can configure my remote the way I want in Windows with the free app 'LM Remote'. I doubt if that is possible in Linux, and I'm even worried if my remote will work in Linux at all..

I agree that VDPAU is a big ass feature which kinda makes you wonder if the above points weights against this Smile When I have my ASROCK 330, I might want to use Linux..guess I need to wait for AMBX support :p

But Mediaplayer-classic-Homecinema with CoreAVC/CUDA works great as well. Just hoping the UI will be smooth in Windows wiht ION.
I wasn't getting perfectly smooth playback with my Acer Revo w/1GB of RAM, so I tried out MPC-HC on XP and it played back my test files fine. So now I'm using XBMC for Windows (the Revo came with XP anyway) and launching MPC-HC as an external player. Having the XBMC on-screen displays/controls would be nice, but I can wait patiently for XBMC to build in NVIDIA ION support later. For now, I'm able to skip ahead, fast forward, pause, change subtitles, etc.. And stopping the video returns me to XBMC.

So don't discount using an external player because you're worried that it would feel clumsy or lack important functionality.
Bear in mind that work is undergoing to bring DirectShow playback in XBMC for Windows. Patience is all that's needed now. Smile
Scott R Wrote:I wasn't getting perfectly smooth playback with my Acer Revo w/1GB of RAM, so I tried out MPC-HC on XP and it played back my test files fine. So now I'm using XBMC for Windows (the Revo came with XP anyway) and launching MPC-HC as an external player. Having the XBMC on-screen displays/controls would be nice, but I can wait patiently for XBMC to build in NVIDIA ION support later. For now, I'm able to skip ahead, fast forward, pause, change subtitles, etc.. And stopping the video returns me to XBMC.

So don't discount using an external player because you're worried that it would feel clumsy or lack important functionality.

How is the performance of the XBMC GUI in Windows? And what skin do you use?
I too would love XBMC in Windows to be able to playback 720p and 1080p like it can in Linux, at the moment I'm aiming for a dualboot as i have bought the Asrock Ion 330 BD and at the moment I can't get both the features i need running under 1 OS, so I will try dualboot for:

720p/1080p in XBMC - OS = Ubuntu
BluRay/DVD discs in PowerDVD (Cyberlink) - OS = Windows 7
Dannydeman Wrote:How is the performance of the XBMC GUI in Windows? And what skin do you use?
I use the xTV skin because I like the simplicity of it. I modified it a while back to display fanart in the List view. Because it's loading high-res fanart as you scroll through the list, there are some delays, and I think that my classic XBox might be slightly faster, but it's not unusable by any means.

For anyone interested in using XBMC for Windows and launching an external player, I did discover that MPC-HC has trouble being automatically started to play a mounted .ISO Blu-ray file. It works fine with DVD .ISO files and with Blu-ray .ts or .mkv files, but the command line arguments for MPC-HC to start and play a Blu-ray drive do not work. If you select "Open DVD..." through the MPC-HC menu, it works fine, so the problem definitely appears to be with MPC-HC's command line logic. Hopefully they'll fix that.

What other players are optimized for the NVIDIA ION GPU? The Revo comes with PowerDVD 8 which appears to be, but I don't think it will play 5.1 audio over HDMI and I don't think you can remap the keyboard keys, and I don't know what command line options there are.
Scott R Wrote:I wasn't getting perfectly smooth playback with my Acer Revo w/1GB of RAM, so I tried out MPC-HC on XP and it played back my test files fine. So now I'm using XBMC for Windows (the Revo came with XP anyway) and launching MPC-HC as an external player. Having the XBMC on-screen displays/controls would be nice, but I can wait patiently for XBMC to build in NVIDIA ION support later. For now, I'm able to skip ahead, fast forward, pause, change subtitles, etc.. And stopping the video returns me to XBMC.

Hi Scott
I'm also using MPC-HC as the external player with Aeon skin . I can start playback and stop with no problem using an XMBC remote app on my iphone . However XMBC doesnt respond to fast forward, change subtitle commands. Can you please provide some insight on how you enabled ffw, subtitles etc ?

Thanks in advance
i would love to hear your insights on how to configure MPC external player to take remote commands for fast forward, subtitle on/off etc.
Sorry for not getting back to you on this. I'm subscribed to a bunch of threads related to the Revo and am "managing" a thread of my own that I started at avsforum.com.

You mentioned using an iPhone app and although I have such an app (I think there are a few, so I don't know that I've got the same one you do), I haven't tried using it with my Revo yet (I had previously used it a few times with my classic XBoxes running XBMC).

I use a Logitech Harmony remote to control my Revo and have it configured as an MCE Keyboard, which allows me to send any keyboard keypress via remote. MPC-HC allows you to map specific keyboard keys to specific functions. So that's how I've got it all working.

But now that I see myself writing this, I see that my recommendation to others to use MPC-HC as an external player may require a Logitech remote in order to provide full functionality.
Here a print screen of where i am with the directshow player. Got the dxva working Big Grin
awesome work!

has the cpu usage dropped considerably? I see its at 50% but thats only instantaneous cpu usage.
Hmmm... nothing justifies 50% CPU usage when using DXVA if I'm not mistaken. Surely *not* a South Park episode.
ashlar Wrote:Hmmm... nothing justifies 50% CPU usage when using DXVA if I'm not mistaken. Surely *not* a South Park episode.

surely he could be doing something else which is using some cpu? Unless he doesnt have a dxva card, and is showing that its using the correct decoder, but not actually using dxva.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] Can I use CoreAVC codec in XBMC?0