Macbook and network shares
Hi all,

I've been using XBMC for almost four years now. I started on a XBOX but have since moved over to my wife's MacBook.

We both love it and plan on buying a pc to dedicate to it sometime in the near future.

I have a problem with network shares. I have two shared folders on my PC, one of them responds very smoothly when browsing the files and folders and the other is very slow to navigate through the folders within.

Basically, when I browse 'share2' all the folders are shown right away, if I select a folder I have to wait about a minute for the contents to be listed. If I select a video file in that folder it will play immediately.

Both shares are on the same computer. I think they are on different drives (I'll check when I get to my computer again) but everything on the PC is working fine. There are no delays whatsoever when using my PC. I don't seem to remember this problem while using Atlantis but we had a child in February and didn't use XBMC for a few months as every bit of sleep was greatly needed.

I updated to Babylon a few weeks ago and we got back into movie watching. This is when we noticed the delays when using Share2.

Any thoughts or suggestions??

13" Macbook Running Leopard
XBMC installed the same as any other mac program
Debug log to come!!!
Babylon 9.04.1

Thanks!
Rene
KODI running on...
Acer Aspire Revo | 2 x iPad Mini
HP Touchsmart | AppleTV | Raspberry Pi
I've got SVN-20677M
With debug logging on the numbes freeze while I am trying to browse the folders. As if everything freezes. I even see the spinning Mac Beach Ball.
The free mem was listed as 2700/4096 MB CPU-Total 0% CPU-XBMC 53.xx% This stayed constant until the folder contents were listed and XBMC unfroze.

The shares are on two different External USB drives. The working one is plugged into a USB Hub and the slow one is plugged into the motherboard.

I never mentioned before, but the only issue is browsing the folders. Once I hit play the movie plays fine, even 6 gig MKVs. Play, Pause, even ffwd works ok.

I'm going to try and remove XBMC totally now and reinstall from scratch. I believe I installed over the previous version.

Rene
KODI running on...
I redownloaded and reinstalled XBMC. However all my setting from the previous install were there. How do I remove all traces of XBMC and start fresh?
KODI running on...
While playing a video from that share and then changing to windowed view (with the video playing in the bottom left and the files and folders listed in the main portion of the screen) I browsed up a folder and then into another folder and the video froze.

The audio kept playing, but everything else was stopped solid. Once the folder listing showed up the video started playing as well.
KODI running on...
There is no network bottleneck. I monitored the network usage during the process and there's no real amount of data being transferred -- no different then when browsing folders when not locking up.

Anybody have any other suggestionsHuh

Rene
KODI running on...
Without knowing the exact setup, I can come up with 2 possible causes.

1. The slow USB is plugged into the main PC, whereas the fast one is in a hub, is the hub powered? Maybe the slow USB isn't getting enough power.
2. The PC that the USB drives are plugged into, are these plugged into a window PC? On the slow USB device, in the advanced share settings, is OFFLINE(or caching I think it's under in Win7) mode enabled? (a bit vague with the exact location - I only use a macbook pro & ubuntu nowdays) I used to get the exact problem with some shares on my old vista box.
I downloaded and installed PLEX this morning. It worked fine with browsing the folders. No lag anywhere. This leads me to think it is a problem within XBMC or my installation of XBMC.

I'll give BOXEE a whirl as soon as I can get a chance.

Rene
KODI running on...
Gryph Wrote:Without knowing the exact setup, I can come up with 2 possible causes.

1. The slow USB is plugged into the main PC, whereas the fast one is in a hub, is the hub powered? Maybe the slow USB isn't getting enough power.
2. The PC that the USB drives are plugged into, are these plugged into a window PC? On the slow USB device, in the advanced share settings, is OFFLINE(or caching I think it's under in Win7) mode enabled? (a bit vague with the exact location - I only use a macbook pro & ubuntu nowdays) I used to get the exact problem with some shares on my old vista box.

Both USB drives have their own power supply and are fast on the host computer. I am running XP on that machine, fully up to date with all of MS's updates.

I'll check for Offline mode when I get home. However, PLEX works fine so I don't think that's the issue.

Ubuntu is getting closer to what I want with every release. I tried 9.04 but still wasn't happy, hopefully 9.10 will tip the scales for me.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Rene
KODI running on...
BOXEE also runs fine and browses the folders just fine. Looks like an issue with my XBMC installation. How can I do a full uninstall on OSXHuh
KODI running on...
Rene, to wipe your xbmc install settings go to ~/Library/Application Support/XBMC/ (delete or rename the XBMC folder)

I usually back everything up, or just rename XBMC to XBMC-back. All of your skins should be in there as well, as this folder does not get wiped out with each new release install.
Thanks, I'll dig again when I gets a chance.

Rene
KODI running on...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Macbook and network shares0