Hoping to make the move to XBMC from 7MC/MB..few questions
Hi,

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post. But I have a couple of questions about XBMC. I am thinking of making the move from Windows 7 Media Centre /MediaBrowser to XBMC. I currently have Windows 7 64bit installed.

I previously made the decision to use MB over XBMC as I have read that you wouldn't be able to configure it to use external codecs, but reading a thread it seems fairly simple to set it to use an external player for .mkv files. My reason for the change is mostly due to how much I love the look of the Aeon Stark skin. But also there are a couple of problems I am having with 7MC/MB which I am hoping can be resolved with XBMC...

1) I have my HTPC set up as both my media player and main computer. I live in a bedsit and have set up a little table with Monitor/Mouse/Keyboard in front of my armchair. I have a VGA feed to the monitor with my normal desktop on it. I have set my display to Extended Desktop and have the extended desktop on my Plasma HDTV. So the aim was to have a permanent 7MC/MB frontend on the TV, with the capability of using my PC like normal on my monitor. Currently when I load 7MC it loads up on my TV, as I intended BUT when it does this I am unable to use my normal desktop as for some annoying reason 7MC hogs the control of the mouse, meaning it is either one or the other.

So what I am asking is while XBMC is running on the extended desktop on my TV would I still have control of the mouse on my normal desktop on my monitor?

2) Is there anyway to set up XMBC to automatically load up when I boot my computer, to the extended desktop area.

3) Can a Logitech Harmony One be properly set up with XBMC?

4) How fast/responsive are the menus in comparison to other frontends (7MC, MediaPortal, etc) ?

5) How about the meta data? I currently have folder.jpg, backdrop.jpg and mymovies.xml in the folders of my media. And with TV series I have folder.jpg, backdrop.jpg and series.xml and folder.jpg and backdrop.jpg and a metadata folder with various .jpg and .xml files inside, in the Season folders. Will this metadata function correctly with XBMC?

If someone could try to answer these queries for me I would be really grateful and I hopefully will be looking forward to making the changeover to XBMC!

Cheers, Oli
Search button broken?
oliphillips Wrote:Hi,

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post. But I have a couple of questions about XBMC. I am thinking of making the move from Windows 7 Media Centre /MediaBrowser to XBMC. I currently have Windows 7 64bit installed.

I previously made the decision to use MB over XBMC as I have read that you wouldn't be able to configure it to use external codecs, but reading a thread it seems fairly simple to set it to use an external player for .mkv files. My reason for the change is mostly due to how much I love the look of the Aeon Stark skin. But also there are a couple of problems I am having with 7MC/MB which I am hoping can be resolved with XBMC...

1) I have my HTPC set up as both my media player and main computer. I live in a bedsit and have set up a little table with Monitor/Mouse/Keyboard in front of my armchair. I have a VGA feed to the monitor with my normal desktop on it. I have set my display to Extended Desktop and have the extended desktop on my Plasma HDTV. So the aim was to have a permanent 7MC/MB frontend on the TV, with the capability of using my PC like normal on my monitor. Currently when I load 7MC it loads up on my TV, as I intended BUT when it does this I am unable to use my normal desktop as for some annoying reason 7MC hogs the control of the mouse, meaning it is either one or the other.

So what I am asking is while XBMC is running on the extended desktop on my TV would I still have control of the mouse on my normal desktop on my monitor?

2) Is there anyway to set up XBMC to automatically load up when I boot my computer, to the extended desktop area.

3) Can a Logitech Harmony One be properly set up with XBMC?

4) How fast/responsive are the menus in comparison to other frontends (7MC, MediaPortal, etc) ?

5) How about the meta data? I currently have folder.jpg, backdrop.jpg and mymovies.xml in the folders of my media. And with TV series I have folder.jpg, backdrop.jpg and series.xml and folder.jpg and backdrop.jpg and a metadata folder with various .jpg and .xml files inside, in the Season folders. Will this metadata function correctly with XBMC?

If someone could try to answer these queries for me I would be really grateful and I hopefully will be looking forward to making the changeover to XBMC!

Cheers, Oli

1)yes, 2)yes, 3)yes, 4)depends on computer's video card and your resolution / skin choice, 5)rename backdrop to fanart, 6)rescan tv shows with Media info plus (MIP).

For movies, rescan with Ember or MIP.

- Fekker
Cool, thanks for the info. Looks like I'm gonna make the move.

althekiller - I couldn't find anything on my extended desktop question, so thought I would ask all of my queries in the same thread. If it really is a sin here to talk about anything that could have possibly once been discussed before then I'm sorry.
Don't mind him. I am convinced he was beaten repeatedly as a child. 99.999999999% of the people in these forums including devs are helpful and friendly.

Kryspy

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hoping to make the move to XBMC from 7MC/MB..few questions0