Need Some suggestion on building a Dedicated XBMC Machine
I want to set up a dedicated XBMC machine which plays media a shared disk on a wireless network.

The two important features im looking for are quick boot and ability to support 1080p.

Can someone suggest a good MB/processor/graphics card combo for a $500 budget?

I don't mind purchasing second hand/used components.

I would also like to know which will be faster for booting up and reading the stored movie info, a HDD or a USB Drive .
hadenx Wrote:I want to set up a dedicated XBMC machine which plays media a shared disk on a wireless network.

The two important features im looking for are quick boot and ability to support 1080p.

Budget shouldn't be a problem. Have a look at Acer Revo's, ASRock's etc.. and run them with linux and vdpau and it will happily give you 1080p playback.

However 1080p and wifi isn't going to work well, use ethernet.
Quote:However 1080p and wifi isn't going to work well, use ethernet.

I would completely agree, WIFI is not the medium of choice for HD content...
prae5 Wrote:Budget shouldn't be a problem. Have a look at Acer Revo's, ASRock's etc.. and run them with linux and vdpau and it will happily give you 1080p playback.

However 1080p and wifi isn't going to work well, use ethernet.

How about the new shuttles?
Pass, not looked at shuttle in a while. Although, i suspect they will be overbudget and last time i looked at them none of them had nvidia gpu's onboard.

If your looking at building your own, grab a zotac board (or any ion based board). Single core atom is fine, so nice and cool and quiet, has your nvidia gpu for hardware decoding and then stick 1gb ram in and your good to go, hell make it 2gb if you want to splash out.
I bought a shuttle barebone SN78SH7 (Nvidia 8200). it is connected to an Onkio A/V receiver and my HDTV. Pretry quiet. I built a RAID-10 server (2TB)that hold all my movie library. The shuttle connect to the RAID over .11N wireless network. I think ATI has a mobo with a builtin GPU that is pretty low power also.
Will it better to have XBMC installed directly on to the hard drive or install it in ubuntu? I'm looking for a quick boot up time. I XBMC live on my laptop but it wasnt supported. I guess it was because ATI radeon mobility isnt supported. And also willl the boot up time be faster from a USB compared to the hard disk?
hadenx Wrote:Will it better to have XBMC installed directly on to the hard drive or install it in ubuntu? I'm looking for a quick boot up time. I XBMC live on my laptop but it wasnt supported. I guess it was because ATI radeon mobility isnt supported. And also willl the boot up time be faster from a USB compared to the hard disk?

XBMC doesn't not have its own Operating System... I believe the live setup boots a bare miniumum stripped version of ubuntu...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Need Some suggestion on building a Dedicated XBMC Machine0