Recovering a Potential Brick
Background info:

Have successfully mod-ed my 1st xbox, runs xbmc (t3ch build) fine.

Basically got another box for free from a friend, who several years ago (as far as I can tell) bricked it. He had been trying to do something w/ the HD hooked up to his computer, and now it doesn't work. It starts up and goes through the usual xbox load up / splash screen, and then gives the following two errors:

"Xbox Live is updating your system. Please don't turn off your xbox."

Followed by

"Xbox Live is not responding. Please try again later."

Knowing the HD was messed up ahead of time, I downloaded Installer Deluxe XBMC, hoping that if I could get the DVD-ROM drive to read, I could just over write whatever else is still on the system.

I have no concern for keeping any of the original functionality of the xbox, and really only plan on using this as a media player for my room. I set up an NAS specifically so all my media was accessible for both xboxes in my apartment.

The thought of cloning the other xbox HD has crossed through my head, but I'm fairly certain they have some different hardware. If there is any sort of guide or suggestion anyone has Please don't hold back. Thanks
Current: Nvidia Shield TV (2nd Gen)
Retired: Asus M004u Chromebox - LibreELEC 7.0.1 | Raspberry Pi 2 - OpenELEC 6.0.3 | Apple TV w/ BCM70015 - CrystalBuntu 2.0 | Raspberry Pi - Model B - OpenElec Kodi 15
pretty sure if the hard drive is bad, you will have to go with a hardware mod chip, I don't think its possible to switch hard drives with only a soft mod.

You will probably have better luck with info/help at xbox-scene tho.
Well I guess I should technically specify that I 'Believe' the HD is the issue, but he could have actually messed with this BIOS as well.
Retired: Asus M004u Chromebox - LibreELEC 7.0.1 | Raspberry Pi 2 - OpenELEC 6.0.3 | Apple TV w/ BCM70015 - CrystalBuntu 2.0 | Raspberry Pi - Model B - OpenElec Kodi 15
The software that interfaces with Xbox Live is part of the MS dash, which is stored on the console's HDD.

That is to say, the drive's probably ok, or things wouldn't be getting that far. Odds are the system had a softmod which the previous owner managed to corrupt (given that a softmod is a hacked MS dash, and attempting to use Live can result in Microsoft attempting to upgrade said dash to the latest version, you can see there's plenty of room for things to go wrong).

Does the system still boot retail game discs?

How is your other console modded?
XBMC Manual - BlackBolt - SVN Guide - Skin SVN - Wide Icon SVN - ROM Shortcut Generator
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me :P
the working xbox was modded using the game exploit - boots to EvoX dash board.

The none working xbox does not play any discs... simply loads to the updating screen and starts and endless loop of failures.
you might be able to hotswap, and get access to the eeprom or hdkey. if you can get either of those, you can unlock it and basically restore it using your good xbox hd. (you would make a backup of that drive, and then restore it on the bad drive). if you can get the eeprom, you can put any other drive you wanted in the bad box. http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox-tutorials.php might help alot.
Contribute to TheTVDB.com - The Online TV Database

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Recovering a Potential Brick0