Access Media on my mac through neighbors wifi?
Running XBMC, Appletv. I have an iMac using neighbor's wifi. Am I looking to "tunnel" or something, in order to point the ATV XBMC to see my media? Any help is greatly appreciated Smile Mike Rolleyes
mkbomb Wrote:Running XBMC, Appletv. I have an iMac using neighbor's wifi. Am I looking to "tunnel" or something, in order to point the ATV XBMC to see my media? Any help is greatly appreciated Smile Mike Rolleyes

Best idea: Break the bank and spend $29 - $39 on a wireless router... perhaps less.

Short of that there is no way to do what you want unless you're neigbor is giving you authority to open holes in his wireless wired network.

The big picture...

Your iMac --wireless--> Neighbors wifi router --wired--> neighbors WIRED router --neighbors cable modem--> INTERNET

(unless their wireless router is also acting as their wired router)

So in this case for you to connect to your iMac from a computer on your network..

desktop--> your-wired-router --> cable modem --> INTERNET --> neighbors cable modem --> neighbors wired router --> neighbors wifi -- your iMac.

You'd have to open holes along the entire path... and thus need admin access to the routers both your own as well as your neighbors.

OR

$29.00 and get a wifi router of your own.

Actually thinking about it some more... since you only need to do 1 way access aka From the iMac to the Media then I guess you could do it with just making changes on your devices but its still better to just bite the bullet and get a wifi for yourself.

Dave
Or just buy a cheap switch, since wireless is absolute trash for streaming media anyway.
Since presumably you are a tight wad and blagging/stealing your neighbours internet (why else use their wireless) its probably safe to assume you are not going to get that wireless router.

Also (and most likely) your neighbour does not know you are doing this, your are breaking the law, (in the UK at least)
US its the same Law. Stealing is stealing of course we don't know that he is.
althekiller Wrote:Or just buy a cheap switch, since wireless is absolute trash for streaming media anyway.

?
The best way to push/pull video/audio is via a wired connection. You get up in the larger bit rates and wireless can/will lag. Been there done that. I've had pretty good success with a wireless connection, but nothing beats a wired connection. Sometimes there is lag which will cause the video to shutter.
kizer Wrote:The best way to push/pull video/audio is via a wired connection. You get up in the larger bit rates and wireless can/will lag. Been there done that. I've had pretty good success with a wireless connection, but nothing beats a wired connection. Sometimes there is lag which will cause the video to shutter.
i had to wire my whole house because wireless sucked so bad. i agree wired is the way to, especially when streaming media.
Contribute to TheTVDB.com - The Online TV Database

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Access Media on my mac through neighbors wifi?0