HOW-TO replace Xbox-remote with a Universial one
finnaly spent some time setting up my remote properly for xbmc today...

if you would like the same setup i believe the remote was around 20$ canadain at walmart... the jp1 programming interface was built by myself. they can also be purchased online. search http://www.google.ca for 'jp1' and you'll find lots of recourses on jp1 remote programming...

i went through the rca tv/dvd remote codes... this setup should have absolutly no conflicts with other rca equipment (at least dvd players and tvs) which i know all of you hate.

so here it is....

large image

what you need...

1x jp1 remote
1x jp1 cable
1x remotemaster (1.06 i latest i believe)
1x program called 'ir' (5.01 minimum)
1x my keymap.xml
1x my xbmc.rmdu

the software can be found if you search google for 'jp1' all files for jp1 stuff is in a yahoo group... yes you have to subscribe <_<

anyways... first put some batteries into your jp1 remote and hook it up to your pc.
load up the ir.exe program and go under 'interface' and select 'check interface' make sure it works. yes batteries are required! and long cables will make your jp1 remote not connect

now that that works lets load up the xbmc.rmdu.
start remotemaster (make sure you run the 'setup.bat' first) and load the xbmc.rmdu config.

oooh its fancy. if you want to change anything help yourself. also if you have a different jp1 remote change the currently selected remote and you can assign the keys how you see fit.

next, click on 'output' then click the copy button as you see here

now lets pop back into ir.exe...
click on devices...
then add
then paste the info in as in the diagram below

now almost done...
pop back over to the 'general' tab

make sure that whichever device you want to be xbmc is set to 'cbl/sat' and code '1052' (unless you changed either in remotemaster)
now you can use codes for any other hardware you have... these codes can be found in your manual or you can get custom user made setups on the jp1 group at yahoo and import them the same way (watch your memory though)
i recommend to set another button to dvd/0522 which will allow your universal to function with the ms dash and any other dashboard still.
now make sure your remote is connected all nice... and click 'upload to remote' (its right under the big red arrow above)

it takes no time at all to upload

now upload the keymap.xml to xbmc

ta da! your done

you can move keys around in remotemaster if you like
post your changes... we'll make something nice

(if some keys dont work lemme know... ill fix it)
awesome idea :d

well done ! i might give it a go too ...
as far as updating this... ive found a few bugs ill work out....

- in my files the 'select' key highlights and does not enter (power should highlight and select should enter)
- i plan on mapping the ff/rw n.track/p.track pause/stop to the top 6 number buttons so that your hand need not move so far from the arrows (the other buttons will work as well though)
loto_bak:

thanks for the information. i, just a couple days ago, finally modded my xbox and installed xbmc. in fact xbmc is the entire reason for my mod.

i too am disappointed with the standard dvd remote for the xbox. i use it for basic functionality in xbmc, but some things act quirky. also i feel like there are more functions that could take advantage of it (like in your picture, using a button to add a song to a playlist, good idea!Wink.

my question is this, i have a universal remote control (urc) mx-700 remote with my home theater. i already have imported into it the standard xbox remote, but i was wondering how you got it to do other functions like add to playlist.

i would like to add as many buttons to my remote as possible that work with xbmc above and beyond the defaults with the xbox remote, but this is new territory for me.

thanks!
first, this remote i have is a jp1 remote... it has a 6 pin connector that you can build/buy a cable for that allows you to upload and download from the remote. it basically turns a 20$ remote in a fully programmable controlable remote. so basically i told the remote to use the same rca protocol the offical one does. then i went through the config files for rca dvds and rca tv remote and noted which keys they use... i then assigned every key to one that was not used. then in the xbmc you have to enable the showing of remote codes (codes can be 1-255) and it displays the code in the top left... then as you figure out what you want each key to do you assign them to that button number in the keymap.xml file

look inside your battery cover... if it has 6 pins in it, that means its a jp1 remote. i know a bunch of direct tv remotes are... there are so many of these remotes around... check all yours

end
what operating system are u using? i have also made a jp1 "simple" interface, but i cant get it to work.. :cry:tried with xp, and win98. i`m getting the "no response from interface" error. any idea? (my ports are correct) what kinds of resistors did u use?
hope u can help me Smile
im using win2k
os should not be your problem

as far as resistors... i believe the 'simple interface' calls for 2x1k resistors correct? i build my cable quite a while ago but i believe i only had 1.2k resistors around and i used thoes (which worked fine)

how long is your cable? mine is only about 10inches... i used a floppy cable and pulled off a section of 4

long cables will make it not work... make sure your not using a serial cable inbetween your pc and the adapter
my cabel is only 10 cm long, that should not be the problem.. the cabel i use is a standard hdd-motherbord cabel, (ide?). this should work right? Rolleyes
yes it should be fine

dont know what your problem is
loto_bak:

great work - nice remote too (i have the same one Smile

looks like the jp1 guys have improved their programming system a little bit since i hacked around with it. are you using any extenders? i've tried the long/short press extender and it works quite well.

do you mind adding the info to the online manual? see below in my sig for the link. we can host the necessary files for you if you like.

cheers,
jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

forsure... i already screwed around a bit with the wiki manual...

im rewriting my xml tonight... will post it a lil later

actually i havnt done extenders myself. i'd like to screw with it. i could finnaly combine 'previous directory' and 'previous menu' into one button

yeah ir has been around for a while. but remotecommander is having new revisions all the time. it really 'rounds out' the configuration.

i'm not sure if i could impliment the extender in a easy to apply way to people's remotes. plus when they kill theirs i dont want to be blamed Smile though i need to look into it more before i commit to anything.

thanks for the comments
:pirate: yeeeearrrrrrrrrr :pirate:
i downloaded this xml file some time ago and used it only as a reference to add page up and page down keys to my keymap and rdf file for my remote. the links above to the xml are now dead and i am trying to modify my xml further. i noticed in the xml (which i no longer have!Wink that he had added the ability to play the entire contents of a folder. this would be handy in my music, video or pictures. does anyone have these files. or better yet where do you find additional functions to add to the keymap??

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO replace Xbox-remote with a Universial one0