720p mkv on apple tv - what should I know?
Supported? Playback issues? Don't bother with an apple tv if I want proper playback?
Its not very good for me. They start up but very choppy. Unusable.

Some of the Devs here hint otherwise but never seem to divulge.
Depends what is in the MKV in terms of codecs, profiles, reference frames, etc. MKV is very flexible, but is capable of holding many things that the ATV would really choke on. So 720p can be possible, but only if the files are suitable.
Most 720p scene releases play fine on mine, it really depends on the bitrate and how they have been encoded.

However, if you are in no rush wait a few weeks, there should be 1080p support on the atv platform in the very near future....
prae5 Wrote:there should be 1080p support on the atv platform in the very near future....
Source?
Couple of threads covering it - search is your friend.

Main one is in the development forum. In short, you will need to replace the wifi card in the atv with a broadcom BCM70012, which will then be used to offload the video decoding.
So what you're saying is that there is gpu support now in xbmc?
There already is gpu support in xbmc. XBMC supports gpu hardware decoding under linux using nvidia gpus (search vdpau support).

Using the broadcom addon, there will be additional hw decoding support.
candre23 Wrote:Source?

Try this.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=55042
So the broadcom chip is already supported? I can buy an apple tv + broadcom chip today and get this working? I don't expect it to be a painless process but if I can get this going at the current price the ATVs are selling for them I'm sold
andyd Wrote:So the broadcom chip is already supported? I can buy an apple tv + broadcom chip today and get this working? I don't expect it to be a painless process but if I can get this going at the current price the ATVs are selling for them I'm sold

No, read the links supplied. SD and most 720p content will play out the box, 1080p hopefully will be supported in the not so distant future using the broadcom addon.
What is most SD and 720 though? And when we say play to what standard do we mean.

I erm, found what about 40 720 movies and none of them play, seems reasonable at least one would be in the right codec.
Pass, you would be better of opening a new thread and giving details there.
BORIStheBLADE Wrote:Try this.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=55042
Thank you. This is a very interesting development.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
720p mkv on apple tv - what should I know?0