Overscan issues with Samsung TV
Im right at the end of my wit here. After days of trying to get the resolution right nothing has worked.

Im running XBMC Live howether when i go to change the resolution to 1080i or 720p the screen is always to big and changing it in the video callobration does nothing to fix the problem.

I am unable to get my EDID of my 42" Samsung Plasma. Tried probably every option. Unable to bring up Nvidia-setting in terminal. Unable to create a xlog. even connected a laptop via VGA cord to tv to get EDID info off EDID viewer but able to get any specific info. running now off a HDMI cord. the default 1024*768 works but i want 1080i because its so much sharper. It works but most of it is off the screen because it is to big.

Currently running Asrock 330 ion. TV model number Samsung PS42Q91HD. Need the modeline for this model
Any help needed
Had the same problem with another LCD. Hex editing the edid raw file, getting a new edid file from VGA, DVI or HDMI.

The issue is related with the edid data from your LCD. Really...it's reporting the wrong information and thus either overscanning or overscaling.

I spent a week and almost gave up. Finally decided to use the VGA connection and that has worked perfectly.

You best option if your LCD has DVI, to use DVI. Audio?? hope you have another input for audio.

Sorry cant solve the issue. But I spent so many hours, hexing, using modelines adding options and nothing helped.
Probably not what i wanted to hear. I want to run HD outputs 720P 1080i. My tv says it native resolution is 1024*768 yet when i ran xbmc on xbox (which worked like a dream until it became under powered) i could play 1080i fine
try the boxheads well written guide - got me on the right track

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=54685

altho in the end i dumped the edid using a vga cable and used it for the hdmi connection - this was a projector

maybe do some pastebins of the xorg logs
Did everything in that thread. But I was unable to create a xlog.txt because the command wouldnt work
what was the error ?

i also used

pkill X

then startx -- -logverbose 6
Dig through the settings on the TV (I'm assuming samsungs have similar settings) for one that has a value "just scan". It fixed my overscan issues on an LN40A550 instantly (after 4hrs of dicking with all the other crap people will tell you to try). I think it's in the "picture settings" section, no guarantees though.

Please put an effort into your thread titles in the future. This is a community forum not a personal help desk. I don't care how frustrated you were when you posted.
the just scan option isn't highlighted in the menu. only 16:9 and 4:3. I think this is what would fix the problem.
I realize this thread is old, but what worked for me was going into the Samsung menu screen, selecting Picture, then Picture options, then Size, and switching from 16:9 to Screen Fit.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Overscan issues with Samsung TV0