Your help please - Minimum spec & OS for 720p .mkv playback
Hi,

I have been using XBMC for many years on my modded xboxes and would now like to move to a linux based PC to allow me to successfully playback 720p .mkv files on my 720p capable HDTV.

I would like to check with your good selves if the following setup will do the job as this is the kit I have available to me.

CPU: Intel Single Core 3Ghz P4 (supporting EM64T and Hyperthreading)
RAM: 3GB
Disk: 2 x 1TB (software RAID1 as I don't keep any other backups:-))
Motherboard: ASUS P5LD2-VM
GPU: Onboard Intel GMA 950
Audio: Onboard HD Audio

I have read through the very good the wiki pages and would like to go for the XBMCubuntu minimal install and I was going to use the AMD64 minimal distribution of Ubunutu 9.04 (Jaunty)

Will this give me a system capable of correct (with in sync audio) 720p .mkv playback?

I have little money available to upgrade this machine but could probably stretch to an Nvidia GPU with HDMI if the onboard Intel GMA 950 is not good enough.

Thanks in advance for your help and support.
Lee.
Use 32bit, not 64bit - there is no benefits and can cause some problems.

If you can stretch to putting in a nvidia gpu it will play everything you can throw at it including 1080p content.
Thanks very much Prae5, on that basis I will go the 32bit route with initially using the onboard Intel GMA 950 and test it with the 720p content I have and if I need more horsepower I'll then add in the Nvidia GPU.

Thanks again for your help.
Lee.
Can I also jump onto this thread with a spec question.

I am currently running my PC with Windows XP and I can't achieve smooth 720p playback with .mkv files using XBMC PC version.

My system is as follows:

P4 2.8
2Gb Ram
ATI 9600
2x 250Gb Hard drives
ASUS P4-800-VM motherboard

I am only running XP and XBMC, no other programs on PC.

Would I benefit changing to a Linux operating system as I only want this machine for media playback via XBMC?

Thanks for any advise in advance.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Your help please - Minimum spec & OS for 720p .mkv playback0