Can't SFTP/SCP to Live install
Hi,

I have a Live 9.04.1 install running on my HTPC, but I can't SFTP onto it. I tried using both Transmit on the Mac and WinSCP on Windows, using the XBMC IP address and both the xbmc/xbmc and xbox/xbox username and password combos, but nothing works.

I keep getting an 'Access Denied' error back from XBMC. In WinSCP I even accepted the passkey, but it still tells me that the connection can't be accepted.

I've read the FAQs and tried searching the forums, but haven't had any luck.

I also tried these instructions, but it wouldn't work either : http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=222836&postcount=5

All help, greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve
Can you ssh into the box?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Code:
iMac:~ cellgfx$ ssh [email protected]
[email protected]'s password:

iMac:~ cellgfx$ ssh [email protected]
Permission denied, please try again.

This is the response I get using both usernames with matching passwords.
Do you have tty access? that is directly with a keyboard on the box. If so, try to reset the password for xbmc user:

Code:
sudo passwd xbmc

of course that is only possible if you have a logged in shell available.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
I just did a straight HDD install from the Live CD - would that have enabled shell access by default?
sure. press "CTRL+ALT+F1" to get a shell and try to login with xbmc/xbmc
CTRL-ALT-F1 doesn't do anything. The keyboard is working though, as I can navigate menus, etc with no issue.
Try CTRL+ALT+F2 - maybe tty0 is occupied with something else on live. CTRL+ALT+F7 should bring you back to xbmc.
That worked - I got to the shell, but using xbmc/xbmc didn't log me in.

"Login incorrect" error returned.

xbox/xbox failed too.

Any ideas?

(BTW, CTRL-ALT-F1 took me back to XBMC from shell)
Sorry, then something is seriously broken with your installation. Could you try booting the xbmclive from disc and try the same? default username/password is always xbmc/xbmc for xbmclive
Ah, figured it out. During the install, it prompts you to change the default UNIX password. I changed it to a more secure password, not realising that the SFTP server would also take on that new password. I can now SFTP using xbmc and my new UNIX password.

Thanks for the help!
Yes - normally you have exactly one account which controls all login services.
You could have come up with that earlier though Smile
I have this problem with a Asrock 330. I cannot login at all to the sftp server. I even tried reinstalling the xbmc but it did not work. I wonder if the HD really gets wiped out during reinstall.

Anything would help. I have access the console but cannot change password, since "I do not have the correct username/password combo".

I have an Aspire Revo on the same network which I used the same cd to install xbmc and I have no problem login into that machine.

By the way, been using xbmc on my xbox for many years. It was just replaced last week by the Aspire Revo. XBMC in my opinion is the best media center. Thanks to the developers and the people involved in creating such an amazing software.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can't SFTP/SCP to Live install0