• 2(current)
Add sort by date added on movies library mode?
spiff Wrote:1) VideoDatabase.cpp to store the field as well as the code for storing the fields when stuff is added
2) SortFileItem.cpp to setup the sorting code
3) GUIViewStateVideo.cpp to add the sorting option to the window

if you want to sort by file date (a diff i will reject from svn inclusion) you can just do part 2&3) there.

mmmm I can't find these files.... I haven't .cpp files in my XBMC directory... I'm on windows vista..
These are the sourcefiles. If you have downloaded an installer, you don't have these files. They are obtained from the svn-source(google it). You have to be able to compile for yourself

BigBlack Wrote:mmmm I can't find these files.... I haven't .cpp files in my XBMC directory... I'm on windows vista..
  • Livingroom - C2D E8400, P5N7A-VM on a Samsung 46" LE46M86 FullHD via HDMI
  • Kitchen - ASRock 330 HT Displayed on a Samsung Lapfit 22" dual touch screen LD220Z
  • Bedroom - LG Laptop on a 32" tv
This is high on my list as well.

"Recently added" doesn't work very well on new XBMC installs or if you've recreated your DB. It also doesn't show all movies, which would be nice.

I'd could be solved by storing a "changed" date for library items and updating this when the library is being scanned. For content folders that has "use folder names for lookups" this should be the changed date of the folder, for others the file changed date.
hey guys no news for this fuction?
spiff Wrote:1) VideoDatabase.cpp to store the field as well as the code for storing the fields when stuff is added
2) SortFileItem.cpp to setup the sorting code
3) GUIViewStateVideo.cpp to add the sorting option to the window

if you want to sort by file date (a diff i will reject from svn inclusion) you can just do part 2&3) there.

Care to explain why it would be rejected?

I'm actually surprised the date a movie was added is not stored in the database. IMHO Useless information such as how many times the SQLite database was compressed is stored but quite valuable information such as when a movie was added is not.

With 300+ movies it's very useful to be able to sort by date added. Why do you think it's not?
Why don't u use Recently Added with
<recentlyaddeditems>10000</recentlyaddeditems>
in advancedsettings.xml ?
ezechiel1917 Wrote:Why don't u use Recently Added with
<recentlyaddeditems>10000</recentlyaddeditems>
in advancedsettings.xml ?

That's not the same thing.

Imagine having 300+ movies and for whatever reason having to recreate your library. It would not result in the same list.
because it would
1) halt shit to a grind - stat is expensive
2) work like arse with offline content

the compression count isn't stored at all, it's the number of updates since last compress. and that's very useful.
Ronner Wrote:That's not the same thing.

Imagine having 300+ movies and for whatever reason having to recreate your library. It would not result in the same list.

I have much larger library, but I don't get it. If you recreate whole library you have to scan all sources again and they will be added with the new actual date, isn't it logical?
Do you want original "date added" for items to be permanently stored in DB even if you removed all sources and preserved after new scan? What am I missing? It makes no sense to me.
What's removed should be removed completely within DB.

EDIT: or is it that date added isn't stored yet and recently added is list sorted by some db id? I don't have actually problem with it. Why do you really need exact dates for added items?
ezechiel1917 Wrote:I have much larger library, but I don't get it. If you recreate whole library you have to scan all sources again and they will be added with the new actual date, isn't it logical?
Do you want original "date added" for items to be permanently stored in DB even if you removed all sources and preserved after new scan? What am I missing? It makes no sense to me.
What's removed should be removed completely within DB.

EDIT: or is it that date added isn't stored yet and recently added is list sorted by some db id? I don't have actually problem with it. Why do you really need exact dates for added items?

The created or modified date of the file itself is something else than the date it was at one time added to a library. If you use the created or modified date of the file, it doesn't matter if you start again from scratch, they will most likely be quite identical.
spiff Wrote:because it would
1) halt shit to a grind - stat is expensive
2) work like arse with offline content

the compression count isn't stored at all, it's the number of updates since last compress. and that's very useful.

1. How would it halt shit to a grind? When you add a new movie to the library it does a look up on themoviedb or imdb and downloads big-ass fanart and what not. I'm quite sure that you could read the modification or creation date of the movie file or folder a few thousands times before the fanart would even be done downloading.

2. Why would that work like arse with offline content?

It almost feels like you don't care about the feature because you do not see a use for it and say "if you want it, code it yourself". But if someone would do that you'd refuse it. So is this simply a dead end?
Ronner Wrote:The created or modified date of the file itself is something else than the date it was at one time added to a library. If you use the created or modified date of the file, it doesn't matter if you start again from scratch, they will most likely be quite identical.

OIC, and I thought this discussion was about "date added" to library not about date that file was created or modified... Wasn't it? Wink
ezechiel1917 Wrote:OIC, and I thought this discussion was about "date added" to library not about date that file was created or modified... Wasn't it? Wink

Could see where the confusion would come from. It's just handy to be able to sort your media on when you added it, and to make sure it's the same date when you have to recreate the library for some reason, you should use either the creation or modification date of the file so it will be (roughly) the same again.

Right now I have 300+ movies and way more tv show episodes and I just installed XBMC. The recently added movies list is most certainly not the same order as I put them on my fileserver, which I would love them to be in so whenever I put a new movie on my fileserver and import it into the library, I could actually sort my movies in XBMC on that. And if for some reason I have to recreate my library, it will not be in a random order again as it is now. For any reason you could end up in a situation where you have to recreate your library. New HTPC, harddisk crash, you name it.

I don't think it's such a big or difficult or useless feature to implement. It is actually very useful for a lot of people with large collections of media, especially new XBMC users that are importing their media for the first time. Besides that, I don't get why you would store a small list of "recently added movies" when you could've as well set the date it was added in the library itself and sort on that. Perhaps I'm missing something why it's done the way it is now.
I hope this fuction can be created as soon as possible... I had to reinstall my xbmc and then my recently added are movie of at least one year ago.... and 'm using xbmc only since 6 months... It's terrible to think that between 3 or 4 year I need to reinstall XBMC for a problem and my recently added change again... I think this must be the only, first sort mode that must be on XBMC... the only really useful!!! I hope that can be implemented soon...
I would also love to be able to sort movies by date added. When I show my non-geeky friends my XBMC setup the lack of sort by date is often commented on.

IMO, one other reason why this would be better as a sort option as opposed to the current "recently added movies" list, is that it would allow us to sort by genre first and then see most recently added.

I often would like to see my most recently added comedy films for example. Would be cool to navigate to comedy genre and then select sort by date.

Just my 2c. worth.

Thanks as ever to all the devs for the ridiculous awesomeness of this software Smile
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Add sort by date added on movies library mode?2