• 3(current)
Add sort by date added on movies library mode?
So? Still no news for that? Sad My Xbmc reset itself and my library order goes to bitches like we say in italian Smile
No newes for that? Now the advanced setting seems not to work on dharma....
I'm with you, I still miss this feature every day. It wouldn't be rocket science nor an IO hog to store file changed date (or folder changed date in the case of "use folder names for lookup") in the library on an update. It will be a little slower than it is now, but library updates run in the background, I don't see an issue. On/off option, problem solved.

Not having this feature is actually the primary reason why I still use file mode almost all of the time. Library just feels very limited without it. I'm considering looking into adding an option that uses the folder/file date when adding the item to the library, instead of the current date. You could even reuse the same database field so it works automatically in "recently added movies", which would make this list the same on all XBMC instances you might have. Bit more work updating an existing library probably, but surely doable of anyone took a stab at it.
BigBlack Wrote:I only have this option with library mode deactivated.... But file view it's not a good layout to share movies... Also for more fuction of some skin that are not available in file view mode...

Yes i think so.. It's a real high priority for me and i think for much other... I also add more movies... more than can i see... so at least it's not easy to find last movie added.. above all because i'm not the only user.. so i can remember a bit last added but the other user can't...

Easy fix...

Don't actually 'add' them until you're ready to watch them.
Hey presto!

Plus, if you truly are adding them faster than you can watch them... you KNOW there's an ultimate flaw there.

Why not just use the 'unwatched' option... this way, who cares about the order, it's the unwatched status that matters right?
Ronner Wrote:Could see where the confusion would come from. It's just handy to be able to sort your media on when you added it, and to make sure it's the same date when you have to recreate the library for some reason, you should use either the creation or modification date of the file so it will be (roughly) the same again.

Right now I have 300+ movies and way more tv show episodes and I just installed XBMC. The recently added movies list is most certainly not the same order as I put them on my fileserver, which I would love them to be in so whenever I put a new movie on my fileserver and import it into the library, I could actually sort my movies in XBMC on that. And if for some reason I have to recreate my library, it will not be in a random order again as it is now. For any reason you could end up in a situation where you have to recreate your library. New HTPC, harddisk crash, you name it.

I don't think it's such a big or difficult or useless feature to implement. It is actually very useful for a lot of people with large collections of media, especially new XBMC users that are importing their media for the first time. Besides that, I don't get why you would store a small list of "recently added movies" when you could've as well set the date it was added in the library itself and sort on that. Perhaps I'm missing something why it's done the way it is now.

If you TRULY want your files to appear in a highly specific order, use NFO files and just prepend the movie title tag with a sequential number.

But, what's the logic behind wanting to see your media in the order you added it?

Sort by Movie Date: I want to make sure I watch the trilogy in the right order
Sort by Alphabet: Helps me rapidly find the movie I want, if I know the name
Sort by Duration: I only have 90 mins, so no point watching 2hr movie
Sort by Rating: Not in the mood to watch a lousy movie
View unwatched: I need to catch up on some viewing
Sort by Date added: what's the logical reason?

I have over 5000 movies, 11000 TV shows and just too much music.... most of which I never actually watch or listen to (compulsive disorder anyone?)... and yet the ONLY time I've ever seen a need for 'in added order' is when I've left my PC running for a couple of hours importing new movies and I want to verify that all the movies HAVE been imported correctly. And I can manage to check this by 'number of movies' comparison with the number of movies in my sources.

I'm just really curious as to hear the 'use case' for the 'date added' order, since nobody has stated one in any of the postings (unless I've missed it)
Because I've my family that has 4 XBMC, one for each computer!! ANd they can't know which movie I've added!! Then if I need to reinstall XBMC because it does no longer go, Movies are all disordered!!! Dates on the movies are wrong! Order by year isn't the same of created file! If I download 500 movies in one year, the next year they are all disordered! Then advancedsetting doesn't work anymore! So only 10 or 20, i don't remember, movies showed as last added!

And what the hell mean, add them when ready to watch them! If we must to reason like that, we don't need and have databases today! -.-

It's only a stupid single fuction, all software today have it! And now you come here to tell us that's it's no needing fuction?! You have too much music and search every time in alphabet order? Or year? Or you put random play with song of 10 year ago everyday?
AnalogKid Wrote:But, what's the logic behind wanting to see your media in the order you added it?

Sort by Movie Date: I want to make sure I watch the trilogy in the right order
Sort by Alphabet: Helps me rapidly find the movie I want, if I know the name
Sort by Duration: I only have 90 mins, so no point watching 2hr movie
Sort by Rating: Not in the mood to watch a lousy movie
View unwatched: I need to catch up on some viewing
Sort by Date added: what's the logical reason?

I have over 5000 movies, 11000 TV shows and just too much music.... most of which I never actually watch or listen to (compulsive disorder anyone?)... and yet the ONLY time I've ever seen a need for 'in added order' is when I've left my PC running for a couple of hours importing new movies and I want to verify that all the movies HAVE been imported correctly. And I can manage to check this by 'number of movies' comparison with the number of movies in my sources.

I'm just really curious as to hear the 'use case' for the 'date added' order, since nobody has stated one in any of the postings (unless I've missed it)

Wow really....?
U mean u really can't see the reason y someone might want to quickly pull up a list of recently added media?
iTunes, WMP, MediaMonkey, not to mention every retail and rental DVD outlet have a recently added section and u can't see why that would be convenientHuh Really...?

For me I'm okay with how it is now except that it seems to use "date modified" "instead of "date created/added" for me. I'm guessing there's a simple way to fix that but I'm sorta nebbish when it come to xbmc Wink
+1
Most skins have the Recently Added stuff on the Home screen.
Don't the movies go into the database in the order they were added?
I remember exporting the database to a huge XML, and the last entries were the ones added last if I remember.
If that's the case, are they numbered in the database by when they were added? If so, then reverse sorting by that number would work most of the time, obviously if your database was empty, and you just imported everything this wouldn't work as a "sort by date", but after that initial import, every new movie added would be at the top of the list and that would look like a sort by date. It would work well enough to give the OP and the others a usable "Sort by date" equivalent, as long as they didn't erase and rebuild their database.

Now a "Sort by release date" that would be cool. So if you awoke from a coma, you could watch them in order. Smile
Using a NUC7PJYHN and a 2820FYKH0 Intel NUC running LibreELEC, and two FireTVs.:)
It's exactly that the problem! If I want to reinstall XBMC beacause i've had an error, I can't have the exact order for 4000 movies for example... That's a stupid conception... Recently added is unuseful if we have date created order...
I had a look at this a while ago, but left it because it wasn't as easy as i thought. Date added should be added to the files table along with play count and last played. But you cant do that with the current db without a lot of refactoring so i figured it was better to just wait for the new db. So unless you BigBlack can come with some actual contribution you can just shut the fuck up with your whining.

About the sort-by-id idea: if someone from team xbmc confirms it will be accepted, i might look into it.
BigBlack, they have only done a few database changes in the past where we have lost compatibility between the old and new versions of the database, so you should be able to export your current database to a network share, and when your XBMC machine needs a reload, just import that backup back in your fresh and new XBMC, maintaining it's original structure.
I do it all the time.

You could ask them to re-write the importing routine so that prior to importing files into the database, that it reverse sorts the list , sort of like "filemode->sort by date" for import, then if they used the sort-by-database-id idea it would be by date added, and no changes would have to be made to the database, just a sort by date prior to import.

Basically a change to the order files are added during the initial import, and no change to the database structure, and a sort-by-database-id added to the library mode.
Using a NUC7PJYHN and a 2820FYKH0 Intel NUC running LibreELEC, and two FireTVs.:)
+1 for this feature..

Recently added doesn't do it for me.

If i make a change in the .nfo for the 1'st film ever in my library and then refreshes it for the change to show, just a refresh, then it'll show on top of my recently added list, IMO it's completely useless...That wouldn't happen if they were sorted by a "date added" field in the DB..
Good idea MacGyver but I don't know if someone of the staff give us some attention... This 3D is open since 1 year...

However now XBMC is at dharma version, with lot of new feature... why they can't rewrite also db and add this feature... I really don't understand..
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Add sort by date added on movies library mode?2