• 4(current)
Add sort by date added on movies library mode?
BigBlack Wrote:Good idea MacGyver but I don't know if someone of the staff give us some attention... This 3D is open since 1 year...

However now XBMC is at dharma version, with lot of new feature... why they can't rewrite also db and add this feature... I really don't understand..
Well why can't you rewrite the db? Thats what i though..
Fyi they started the work on the new db long before this thread and its scheduled for next release
Hey ventech who hell ask your opinion? If you'r in disaccord with this 3d don't write again here. Not all are programmers! You are a programmer? So try you to rewrite the db! Insted shut up! No one called you there!
@BigBlack: Keep things civil please, else you'll just come off looking like an ass.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I think some of the posts on this thread read a bit on the rude and whiny side... But regardless, this is my (hopefully) rational interpretation of the current state of things and what is being asked for. I'm not for or against it myself, and have no say in it anyway, just documenting it for further discussion...

Currently xbmc does not store last modified or date-scanned-in dates for items. When constructing a recently added view, it simply orders the items by id desc. Recently added in terms of the current feature represents the order in which items were scanned into the library and nothing else.

Pros to this approach:
1. Its simple.
2. It is temporally consistent - changes to the underlying file item over time do not logically affect it, other than removal.
3. Its what everyone is used to up to this point.
4. It does exactly what it says it does.

Cons to this approach:
1. It is self invalidating - if you rescan an item it becomes "newer". That is rarely the desired outcome in practice.
2. For those with multiple installs sharing a media library - it is not consistent across installations.

What is being suggested (I think) by most people on this thread is to instead of track recently added by insertion order track it by the file(s) last modified date (I frankly see no point in keeping a date for when it was scanned in - its not terribly useful and the practical result would be the same).

Pros to this approach:
1. Although it changes the meaning of "recent", in practice both approaches would generate the same result the majority of the time, assuming items were being scanned in the order they were added to the library's source. There are exceptions though...
2. It would be consistent across installations.
3. It would not be affected by rescans or even complete rebuilds of the library.

Cons to this approach:
1. Last modified dates are not reliable. Depending upon how an item is added to a source folder, it may or may not have a last modified date that is consistent with what people would expect it to be (i.e. the date the file was placed in the source folder). This is a pretty big con imo. I just checked my media libarary - I have 6 files with last modified dates in 2014 - don't ask me how but I do...
2. The library would have to be updated when a files last modified date is changed to remain consistent - this would add complexity that doesn't currently exist.
3. It changes the meaning of "recently added" to "recently acquired" or something along those lines. I think those wanting this feature are saying they prefer the later - but it is a rather significant semantic change.

Anyways there it is... I miss anything?

ps. MacGyver's idea sounds really good to me as a compromise... that has my vote.
Good points.

The only problem with MacGyver's approach is that it doesn't do much for new users with a large set of media spread out over multiple disks.

Also "recently added" could be left as it is by default, with an option added (you could stick the variable in advancedsettings to avoid cluttering the GUI) to toggle "recently added" to "recently acquired".
booker88 Wrote:The only problem with MacGyver's approach is that it doesn't do much for new users with a large set of media spread out over multiple disks.

Actually, I read his post again... I had misunderstood it the first time, but I think my "misunderstood" version is better Smile He was saying when a import was done sort by last modified date - what I thought he said was when a "Scan for New Items" was done on a source folder. If the files were sorted by last modified when scanning a source, they would end up being id'd in the proper order (more or less) - even for new users.

That is assuming the scanner queues all the items prior to actually starting the work - it would have to so that the sort could be applied across all folders and what not. I don't know if it does that now or not (I think it does though).
No galvanash You don't understand.... I say "creation date" not "last modified date". Creation date doesn't change, and it's the time in which the file appear on the hard disk. So like that, nothing change... Library it's always the same on multiple pc users... No problem scanning library after a month or 2... All movies always ordered in the right way.

2 Days ago my database was deleted, by something I don't know... I needed to uninstall XBMC, delete user folders anda re install all, rescan my movies library and now the first new added movie it's one of 2 years ago.... So in this case this was the only solution, and there's no way to solve this order issue with actual XBMC fuction...
And I notice that this is the 4th or 5th time that's appen on my 5 net pc.... And this is the first reason because I need that fuction...
BigBlack Wrote:No galvanash You don't understand.... I say "creation date" not "last modified date". Creation date doesn't change, and it's the time in which the file appear on the hard disk. So like that, nothing change... Library it's always the same on multiple pc users... No problem scanning library after a month or 2... All movies always ordered in the right way.
How many time do we have to say this? NOT PLATFORM INDEPENDENT!
BigBlack Wrote:No galvanash You don't understand.... I say "creation date" not "last modified date".

Last modified is relatively standard across almost all platforms and file systems, and where it is implemented it generally means the same thing regardless of platform.

Creation dates on the other hand are a big mess. Most Linux file systems don't even store them, OSX stores them twice, but only sets one or the other depending on what activity created the file... Windows does seem to support them fine and has for a long time, but it is the odd man out.

I agree that on Windows creation date would probably be ideal... But it wouldn't be fun getting it to work across platforms...
But windows user are surely the great part... So they can create that fuction for windows users.. the other will not have this fuction... I don't see this like a real trouble.
I'll be more clear.
Pre-scan all media to be added to the library, and sort this pre-scan queue by created or modified date, then add them to the library by oldest first.
It would allow the library db to remain the same, but sorting by "Date Added" would appear to sort by creation/modified date. Only a change to the scan/import portion would be needed not the database. Unless they also added an extra setting to "Video Settings" to choose how the pre-scan sort is done ie. "Import by: Date Created" or "Import by: Date Modified", and have the sort label "Date Added" reference whatever sort method was selected in the import settings.
Using a NUC7PJYHN and a 2820FYKH0 Intel NUC running LibreELEC, and two FireTVs.:)
Soring by date added in library mode is now added. In file mode its already there, and it sorts by modified date. Sorting in the import/export process will probably be added soon
ventech: Do I understand correctly that your patch currently sorts by ID which is same as it's done in Recently added view, therefore it doesn't solve much what's discussion here about? Guess it will help if ID could be included in nfo file, but how it will behave if there is already existing ID in database? Sorry if I got it wrong, but just wondering...
ezechiel1917 Wrote:ventech: Do I understand correctly that your patch currently sorts by ID which is same as it's done in Recently added view, therefore it doesn't solve much what's discussion here about? Guess it will help if ID could be included in nfo file, but how it will behave if there is already existing ID in database? Sorry if I got it wrong, but just wondering...

I tested this in Dharma Beta 3 and you are right, it sorts by date added. It's even called "date added". So you are right in assuming this is not the feature this thread asks for. If you rescan your library or do a new XBMC install they'll be added in some random order.

I would very much appreciate a sort option called "date modified", also in library view. It's really the only sort option I'd use most of the time. It's also the primary reason I rarely use library view as only file view can sort by date modified. I wouldn't mind rescanning the library if that's needed to add "date modified" information to each library item. I do that from time to time to keep my meta data up to date anyway.
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Add sort by date added on movies library mode?2