• 4(current)
Port XBMC for Linux to run on the ASUS O!Play (O'Play / OPlay) media player hardware?
[QUOTE=pmcd;417538
To get ftp going is there a slimmed down description that you could provide? The only reason I am asking is that at this time there is no disaster recovery for the O!Play which is odd. At least one person seems to have bricked their unit by following the Peter apparoach (in avfroums.com in the uk) which remount the r/o part as r/w and modified some files.

The easiest way would be to have optware installed without ever touching the r/o part of the memory.
philip[/quote]

Yep, that was me. In retrospect my suggestion would be to mount /opt to an external hard drive. Or otherwise be damn sure there's enough space on the internal flash memory. The problem is that you can't easily find that out - because of dependencies. I wanted to install mpd which is normally small but it wanted a whole bunch of space hungry dependencies and it blew up, taking the O!Play with it. Perhaps you can mount /opt externally, try to install ftp or whatever software you want and then AFTER seeing how much space is needed, you should be able to determine if it'll fit on the O!Play's internal flash.
aos007 Wrote:... but it wanted a whole bunch of space hungry dependencies and it blew up, taking the O!Play with it...

Does that brick it? Or were you able to recover? Mm... on second read of your post I suspect you mean you bricked it... Dude that sucks. I will be sure to wacht out for that. If you would mount /opt on an external drive I suppose it just stops if that is filled, do you agree?
Koenradus Wrote:4) df -h
Code:
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root               203.6M    129.3M     74.3M  63% /
/dev/mtdblock/2          16.0M      1.3M     14.7M   8% /usr/local/etc
/dev/rd/0                40.0k     40.0k         0 100% /mnt/rd

hmm .. looks like you have double harddrive then hijack204 .. Does your remote have a volume button ?
The normal XBMC log IS NOT a debug log, to enable debug logging you must toggle it on under XBMC Settings - System or in advancedsettings.xml. Use XBMC Debug Log Addon to retrieve it.
Haha :-p, yeah that would be great. But alas... no joy...
Koenradus Wrote:Haha :-p, yeah that would be great. But alas... no joy...

The second generation ones do have volume button on the remote .. Big GrinBig Grin .. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/...148&sr=8-1
The normal XBMC log IS NOT a debug log, to enable debug logging you must toggle it on under XBMC Settings - System or in advancedsettings.xml. Use XBMC Debug Log Addon to retrieve it.
Koenradus Wrote:Haha :-p, yeah that would be great. But alas... no joy...

Trade you the extra space for the remote =)
hijack204 Wrote:Trade you the extra space for the remote =)

WDTV Live ($120US) has 512MB RAM and 512MB Internal Drive .. Big GrinBig Grin
More RAM would be okay. Don't mind about the HD, just pop in an X gig USB drive...
Asus O!Play vs WD HD Live
how about a "lsmod" to see what drivers are loaded followed by a pastebin of dmesg or the system.log to see the boot messages.
davilla Wrote:how about a "lsmod" to see what drivers are loaded followed by a pastebin of dmesg or the system.log to see the boot messages.

/ # lsmod
Module Size Used by Tainted: PF
ohci_hcd 25200 0
ehci_hcd 44480 0
sata_mars 21728 0
libata 57936 1 sata_mars
ufsd 351952 0
Here's my dmesg

http://pastebin.com/pastebin.php?dl=f7968555c
hijack204 Wrote:/ # lsmod
Module Size Used by Tainted: PF
ohci_hcd 25200 0
ehci_hcd 44480 0
sata_mars 21728 0
libata 57936 1 sata_mars
ufsd 351952 0

Humm, interesting, not much in the loadable driver area. The rest have to be compiled into the kernel. dmesg seems very lean too but I'd expect this on an embedded device.

thanks.
Quote::

Here is a list of WDTV LIVE compatiable Wireless USB Adapters: Ralink based

Manufacturer Model # Device Name
Belkin F5D8055 N1 Wireless USB adapter
Belkin F5D8051 N1 Wireless USB adapter
Buffalo WLI-UC-G300HP Wireless N compact USB 2.0 Adapter
Buffalo WLI-UC-G300N Wireless N compact USB 2.0 Adapter
Buffalo WLI-UC-GN Mini
D-Link DWA-140 Rangebooster N USB Adapter
EnGenius EUB-9701 Wireless N adapter
Linksys WUSB100 Rangeplus wireless network usb adapter
Linksys WUSB600N Wireless-N USB network adapter with dual-band
Trendnet TEW-644UB Wireless N USB adapter
Trendnet TEW-645UB Wireless N USB adapter
Trendnet TEW-664UB 300Mbps Dual Band WirelessN USB Adapter
Sitecom WL-329 Wireless Dualband USB Adapter

By the look of the files on the ASUS O!Play, it looks like it has wireless drivers .. I wonder if the above adapter work on ASUS as well just by pluggin into the device ?
CrashX Wrote:WDTV Live ($120US) has 512MB RAM and 512MB Internal Drive .. Big GrinBig Grin

Interesting as in Canada it's more like 50% more expensive. I don't know what video the WD is using, but they don't seem to support idx+sub subtitles which is odd (hope that is not true). The Asus has been fine for me except for the odd omission that you can't delete files from the attached hardware except via telnet. That is surely something they will fix.

Realtek is supposed to come out with a new SDK and I'd imagine a lot will start happening after that. I paid $110 delivered for the Asus (that's Canadian) and the cheapest I can get the WD Live is $150+tax+delivery. Not worth it. If the two were priced the same and I didn't care about subtitles then I'd probably go for the WD Live.

What I really want is an upgraded Apple TV Smile

Must point out that the MVix Ultio is probably better than either the Asus or the WD Live if you need an internal drive and if you don't care about fan noise... (otherwise, disable the fan and use an external drive like the Asus and the WD Live or many other systems that don't have an internal drive).

pmcd

Forgot: The WDTV Live doesn't seem to have volume control on its remote which is very odd.
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Port XBMC for Linux to run on the ASUS O!Play (O'Play / OPlay) media player hardware?2